FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Jason L Tibbitts III
 
Default Beware of Beerware?

>>>>> "SW" == Simon Wesp <simon@w3sp.de> writes:

SW> Hi, I want to start a review request and the application i packed
SW> is published under Beerware [1] which is not listed in Licensing
SW> [2].

Text of the license:

* "THE BEER-WARE LICENSE" (Revision 42):
* <phk@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote this file. As long as you retain this notice you
* can do whatever you want with this stuff. If we meet some day, and you think
* this stuff is worth it, you can buy me a beer in return Poul-Henning Kamp

This is basically a joke license like the WTFPL; since the beer
purchase requirement is optional, it seems to me that this is
basically equivalent to the "Copyright only" license at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/CopyrightOnly. The only
actual requirement is that the notice not be removed, which obviously
does not render the software non-free in pretty much any sense I can
think of.

- J<

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-11-2008, 03:00 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"
 
Default Beware of Beerware?

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 15:54 +0200, Simon Wesp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to start a review request and the application i packed is published under Beerware [1] which is not listed in Licensing [2].
> I'm not sure, if i can do this, because there is no no-warrenty clausel in it.
> Would you say Beerware is a good license, or not?

Effectively, this is Copyright only. These sorts of "joke licenses"
probably won't hold up in court, but we probably don't inherit any
serious legal risk from them.

Use:

License: Copyright only

~spot

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Beware of Beerware?

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 15:54 +0200, Simon Wesp wrote:

Hi,

I want to start a review request and the application i packed is published under Beerware [1] which is not listed in Licensing [2].
I'm not sure, if i can do this, because there is no no-warrenty clausel in it.

Would you say Beerware is a good license, or not?


Effectively, this is Copyright only. These sorts of "joke licenses"
probably won't hold up in court, but we probably don't inherit any
serious legal risk from them.


Upstream should be advised to move to some standard permissive license
like the MIT or revised 2-clause BSD license. Without a disclaimer,
there is some legal risk for the developers especially in U.S.


Rahul

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-11-2008, 07:09 PM
"Yaakov Nemoy"
 
Default Beware of Beerware?

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 15:54 +0200, Simon Wesp wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to start a review request and the application i packed is
>>> published under Beerware [1] which is not listed in Licensing [2]. I'm not
>>> sure, if i can do this, because there is no no-warrenty clausel in it.
>>> Would you say Beerware is a good license, or not?
>>
>> Effectively, this is Copyright only. These sorts of "joke licenses"
>> probably won't hold up in court, but we probably don't inherit any
>> serious legal risk from them.
>
> Upstream should be advised to move to some standard permissive license like
> the MIT or revised 2-clause BSD license. Without a disclaimer, there is some
> legal risk for the developers especially in U.S.

Theoretically, couldn't we slap some kind of 2-clause license on it
when redistributing it ourselves, just to protect our own behinds?

Better yet, I propose the 3-beer clause license. The first two
clauses are analogous to a standard 2-clause BSD license, and the
third offers the recommendation to buy 1) the author, 2) the packager
and 3) the user a round of beers.

-Yaakov

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-11-2008, 07:17 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"
 
Default Beware of Beerware?

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 21:09 +0200, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> Theoretically, couldn't we slap some kind of 2-clause license on it
> when redistributing it ourselves, just to protect our own behinds?

No, because "retain this notice" means that we cannot change the license
text. We could theoretically add additional license text, but we
couldn't lose the silly beer text.

~spot

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:00 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org