Old 08-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Thorsten Leemhuis

Default vacation page in the wiki (was: AWOL Maintainer: Krzysztof Kurzawski)

On 11.08.2008 12:45, Rex Dieter wrote:

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

Andrew Bartlett wrote: How so?

I really am going to try to make a good stab at maintaining the
packages I'm proposing for Fedora, but as I won't list my
'Vacations' in public,

I don't mean to pester, but I'm curious. You have an averstion to
documenting when you won't be available online, why?

I won't publicly document either when I'm on vacation, so I bite and
jump into this discussion:

At least here in Germany it sometimes happens that houses or apartments
from people that put "we'll marry on <day> at <somewhere> and have a
party in the evening <somewhere else>" announcements into newspapers get
robbed while they are marrying, partying or while the couple is on
honeymoon.

Sure, it's not happening that often, but it definitely happens. Okay, I
doubt that any robbers check the vacation page in the Fedora wiki and
say "knurd is on vacation now, so let's go an break into his house". But
it's possible.

The much bigger problem: If I wanted to get a trojan or something bad
into one of the Fedora packages then I'd try that with a package when
its owner is on vacation for a while. Chances are way lower then that
somebody will notice the evil thing quickly.

CU
knurd

Old 08-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Rex Dieter

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> I won't publicly document either when I'm on vacation, so I bite and
> jump into this discussion:

Could the "vacation" page be locked down require authenticated access (ie, no anonymous viewing)? Would that help?

-- Rex

Old 08-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Jason L Tibbitts III

RD> Could the "vacation" page be locked down require authenticated
RD> access (ie, no anonymous viewing)? Would that help?

Probably not; some people just don't want to share that much personal
information.

As far as I'm concerned, the only case we really care about is:

Maintainer is away (or unresponsive for whatever reason)
+ Package has no comaintainers
+ Maintainer doesn't want anyone messing with their packages

This combination is untenable. Take away one of those and the
situation is fine, or at least not broken.

Now, there is the small issue of the usual toe avoidance most of us
practise; I won't just barge in and start committing without at least
communicating with the maintainer. That is unfortunately futile if
they're on vacation and haven't informed anyone of the fact.

Do the folks with concerns about giving out vacation information have
issues with simply informing someone privately so that there's at
least one person watching tickets on non-comaintained packages?

- J<

Old 08-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Jesse Keating

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 08:04 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> Now, there is the small issue of the usual toe avoidance most of us
> practise; I won't just barge in and start committing without at least
> communicating with the maintainer. That is unfortunately futile if
> they're on vacation and haven't informed anyone of the fact.

The letter of the policy only requires a response, not a resolution.
Co-maintainers should be able to respond to the issue and inform the
reporter that it is being worked on, but may take a bit for agreement on
what should be committed, if anything.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!