Old 08-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Thomas M Steenholdt

Default peerdns=no, NetworkManager, doesn't work?

Neal Becker wrote:

I have used system-config-network to de-select 'Automatically obtain dns information from provider' and I see in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan0
PEERDNS=no

But starting NetworkManager, I get in /etc/resolv.conf:
# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

nameserver 192.168.1.1

I don't think NetworkManager is respecting the setting (and I can't seem to find any workaround)

NetworkManager and the ifcfg-xxx style net configs are two completely
seperate ways to configure your network connection, so NetworkManager
really shouldn't respect those settings...

The only thing NetworkManager cares about is that the interface is
actually up.

Perhaps you can tweak /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf to do what you need instead?

/Thomas

Old 08-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Neal Becker

Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:

> Neal Becker wrote:
>> I have used system-config-network to de-select 'Automatically obtain dns
>> information from provider' and I see in
>> /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan0 PEERDNS=no
>>
>> But starting NetworkManager, I get in /etc/resolv.conf:
>> # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
>>
>> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>>

>> I don't think NetworkManager is respecting the setting (and I can't seem
>> to find any workaround)
>>

> NetworkManager and the ifcfg-xxx style net configs are two completely
> seperate ways to configure your network connection, so NetworkManager
> really shouldn't respect those settings...
>
> The only thing NetworkManager cares about is that the interface is
> actually up.
>
> Perhaps you can tweak /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf to do what you need instead?
>
> /Thomas

No, it seems recent NetworkManager will ignore these files also.

What does work is to put scripts in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d, but it seems this information is hard to come by.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:23 AM
Tom Lane

Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:
> I have used system-config-network to de-select 'Automatically obtain dns information from provider' and I see in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan0
> PEERDNS=no

> But starting NetworkManager, I get in /etc/resolv.conf:
> # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

> nameserver 192.168.1.1

F-9's NetworkManager refuses to believe that you don't want its
services: even after "sudo /sbin/chkconfig NetworkManager off", it
overwrites /etc/resolv.conf during boot with figments of its imagination.
(I'd be interested to know exactly where that's happening BTW; the file
timestamp suggests it's being done during kernel start, which I
sincerely hope isn't the case.)

I considered "rpm -e NetworkManager" but bz #351101 suggests that that
would probably break my system even worse. My current workaround is
to do this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

# gross workaround for NetworkManager brain death
rm /etc/resolv.conf
cp /etc/resolv.conf.manual /etc/resolv.conf

regards, tom lane

Old 08-11-2008, 02:50 AM
Dan Williams

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 17:25 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> I have used system-config-network to de-select 'Automatically obtain dns information from provider' and I see in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan0
> PEERDNS=no
>
> But starting NetworkManager, I get in /etc/resolv.conf:
> # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
>
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>

> I don't think NetworkManager is respecting the setting (and I can't seem to find any workaround)

It should be; what exact version of the NM RPM?

Dan

Old 08-11-2008, 02:53 AM
Dan Williams

> Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:
> > I have used system-config-network to de-select 'Automatically obtain dns information from provider' and I see in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan0
> > PEERDNS=no
>
> > But starting NetworkManager, I get in /etc/resolv.conf:
> > # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
>
> > nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
> F-9's NetworkManager refuses to believe that you don't want its
> services: even after "sudo /sbin/chkconfig NetworkManager off", it
> overwrites /etc/resolv.conf during boot with figments of its imagination.

NM does not overwrite anything when it's disabled.

> (I'd be interested to know exactly where that's happening BTW; the file
> timestamp suggests it's being done during kernel start, which I
> sincerely hope isn't the case.)

Nope; it certainly cannot happen during kernel start, because nothing
related to NM is running at that time.

> I considered "rpm -e NetworkManager" but bz #351101 suggests that that
> would probably break my system even worse. My current workaround is
> to do this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
>
> # gross workaround for NetworkManager brain death
> rm /etc/resolv.conf
> cp /etc/resolv.conf.manual /etc/resolv.conf

That's about what you have to do, simply because /etc/resolv.conf _can_
change (for reasons I've stated before) and right now we have no
"reference" resolv.conf.

This is _exactly_ the problem that other distros use resolvconf for;
stuff updates /etc/resolv.conf all the time, but unless you have some
reference copy somewhere that describes your boot-time settings for it
(which Fedora doesn't) then your resolv.conf will be all messed up on
reboot, whether you're running NetworkManager or not.

Dan

Old 08-11-2008, 02:54 AM
Dan Williams

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 19:06 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
>
> > Neal Becker wrote:
> >> I have used system-config-network to de-select 'Automatically obtain dns
> >> information from provider' and I see in
> >> /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan0 PEERDNS=no
> >>
> >> But starting NetworkManager, I get in /etc/resolv.conf:
> >> # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
> >>
> >> nameserver 192.168.1.1
> >>

> >> I don't think NetworkManager is respecting the setting (and I can't seem
> >> to find any workaround)
> >>

> > NetworkManager and the ifcfg-xxx style net configs are two completely
> > seperate ways to configure your network connection, so NetworkManager
> > really shouldn't respect those settings...
> >
> > The only thing NetworkManager cares about is that the interface is
> > actually up.
> >
> > Perhaps you can tweak /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf to do what you need instead?
> >
> > /Thomas
>
> No, it seems recent NetworkManager will ignore these files also.

Recent NetworkManager (perhaps not 3675 from F9-updates) does respect
these files, and will attempt to merge whatever is in them into the
dhclient.conf that's actually used. Could you try the NM from
F9-updates-testing?

Dan

Old 08-11-2008, 02:57 AM
Dan Williams

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 22:50 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 17:25 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> > I have used system-config-network to de-select 'Automatically obtain dns information from provider' and I see in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan0
> > PEERDNS=no
> >
> > But starting NetworkManager, I get in /etc/resolv.conf:
> > # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
> >
> > nameserver 192.168.1.1
> >

> > I don't think NetworkManager is respecting the setting (and I can't seem to find any workaround)
>
> It should be; what exact version of the NM RPM?

And could you try the NM that's in updates-testing? It looks like the
bits that honor PEERDNS got into 3688, so they just missed 3675 that
you're probably using. F9-updates-testing should have the right bits
for you.

Dan

Old 08-11-2008, 03:10 AM
Tom Lane

Dan Williams <dcbw@redhat.com> writes:
> This is _exactly_ the problem that other distros use resolvconf for;
> stuff updates /etc/resolv.conf all the time,

Uh, *what* stuff? I have never had such a problem before in any Fedora
version (or any other platform for that matter).

And before you dismiss the idea that NetworkManager is doing it, you
need to explain away the line "# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!"
that's being inserted during the overwrite.

regards, tom lane

Old 08-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Karel Zak

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 10:23:12PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I considered "rpm -e NetworkManager" but bz #351101 suggests that that
> would probably break my system even worse. My current workaround is

My workstation:

# rpm -q NetworkManager
package NetworkManager is not installed

# cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)

Karel

--
Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>

Old 08-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Ron Yorston

Tom Lane <tgl@redhat.com> wrote:
>Dan Williams <dcbw@redhat.com> writes:
>> This is _exactly_ the problem that other distros use resolvconf for;
>> stuff updates /etc/resolv.conf all the time,
>
>Uh, *what* stuff? I have never had such a problem before in any Fedora
>version (or any other platform for that matter).

Absolutely. Once I've configured a resolv.conf file on a machine that's
using a static IP address (and not NM) *nothing* should interfere with it.

>And before you dismiss the idea that NetworkManager is doing it, you
>need to explain away the line "# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!"
>that's being inserted during the overwrite.

I had a similar situation. When I installed F9 I decided to give NM another
chance. It worked nicely on a wireless laptop but a machine with a static
IP address wasn't properly configured. (There are some comments about this
on BZ 134886, but the problem might actually be with anaconda.)

Eventually I got fed up of having the machine with the static IP address
not appearing on the network until somebody logged in, so I turned off
NM and reverted to the network service. This worked until the machine
was rebooted and my resolv.conf was overwritten by one with the "generated
by NetworkManager" comment. My initial reaction was "blame NetworkManager",
but in fact it seems that there was a left over copy of the old resolv.conf
in /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default. Once I'd sorted that out
(and I'm not quite sure now what did it: monkeying about with system-
config-network, perhaps) the problem went away.

So, despite appearances, it wasn't NetworkManager's fault.

There are still problems with NetworkManager, the network server and
system-config- network. NM is getting better but it isn't suitable for
server-type machines. Switching between NM and the network service is
definitely flaky, and the lack of documentation on NM is a big
hindrance to its adoption.

Ron