Old 08-10-2008, 04:41 AM
Mike Chambers

Default F10A Blue Knight Rider - KITT are we there yet?

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 22:20 -0600, Jerry Williams wrote:

> Does the blue bar going back and forth really mean that anything is
> going on?
>

> I would like something that shows I am doing I/O or that it isn’t hung
> on something like sendmail and name resolution.
>
> Or that the box is booted and now it is running rc scripts.

What you are seeing is the package plymouth that is taking the place of
rhgb. And the stage you are seeing it at, is in alpha/beta mode itself,
and the artwork, wording, graphics, etc.. will get better as we move
towards F10 Final.

You using outlook in windows or something to post to the list? Your
fonts and such are odd when reading the email, although when replying it
looks normal.

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 08-10-2008, 04:45 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Adam Jackson

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 22:20 -0600, Jerry Williams wrote:
> The Fedora 10 Alpha reminds me of KITT from Knight Rider only Blue
> instead of red.
>
> My problem with it is there is no indication at to how much longer it
> might be.
>
> Are we there yet?

I have an updated progress bar for plymouth that should hit rawhide
later today. It's still wrong, in that it doesn't estimate how much
longer it'll be, but it does go back to having a solid bar that fills up
as time progresses.

There's no sane way to actually estimate how long it'll take to boot,
short of recording the previous boot time. Which is what we'll do, of
course.

- ajax

Old 08-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Arjan van de Ven

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:09:18 -0400
Adam Jackson <ajax@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 22:20 -0600, Jerry Williams wrote:
> > The Fedora 10 Alpha reminds me of KITT from Knight Rider only Blue
> > instead of red.
> >
> > My problem with it is there is no indication at to how much longer
> > it might be.
> >
> > Are we there yet?
>
> I have an updated progress bar for plymouth that should hit rawhide
> later today. It's still wrong, in that it doesn't estimate how much
> longer it'll be, but it does go back to having a solid bar that fills
> up as time progresses.
>
> There's no sane way to actually estimate how long it'll take to boot,
> short of recording the previous boot time. Which is what we'll do, of
> course.

personally I have to say that I dislike splash screens... mostly
because I want to be *done* by the time the splash screen is up ;-)

Oh well.. that's a topic more suitable for my plumbers conference
presentation than this mailing list =)
(where I'll show why I think I'm right on this one ;-)

Old 08-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Adam Jackson

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 06:33 -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:09:18 -0400
> Adam Jackson <ajax@redhat.com> wrote:
> > I have an updated progress bar for plymouth that should hit rawhide
> > later today. It's still wrong, in that it doesn't estimate how much
> > longer it'll be, but it does go back to having a solid bar that fills
> > up as time progresses.
> >
> > There's no sane way to actually estimate how long it'll take to boot,
> > short of recording the previous boot time. Which is what we'll do, of
> > course.
>
> personally I have to say that I dislike splash screens... mostly
> because I want to be *done* by the time the splash screen is up ;-)
>
> Oh well.. that's a topic more suitable for my plumbers conference
> presentation than this mailing list =)
> (where I'll show why I think I'm right on this one ;-)

Get me a kernel that manages to get to initramfs in under five seconds,
and we'll talk.

Not that you're wrong, but at the moment you're only academically right.

- ajax

Old 08-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Arjan van de Ven

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:25:48 -0400
Adam Jackson <ajax@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 06:33 -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:09:18 -0400
> > Adam Jackson <ajax@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > I have an updated progress bar for plymouth that should hit
> > > rawhide later today. It's still wrong, in that it doesn't
> > > estimate how much longer it'll be, but it does go back to having
> > > a solid bar that fills up as time progresses.
> > >
> > > There's no sane way to actually estimate how long it'll take to
> > > boot, short of recording the previous boot time. Which is what
> > > we'll do, of course.
> >
> > personally I have to say that I dislike splash screens... mostly
> > because I want to be *done* by the time the splash screen is up ;-)
> >
> > Oh well.. that's a topic more suitable for my plumbers conference
> > presentation than this mailing list =)
> > (where I'll show why I think I'm right on this one ;-)
>
> Get me a kernel that manages to get to initramfs in under five
> seconds, and we'll talk.

[various patches posted to lkml]

> Not that you're wrong, but at the moment you're only academically
> right.

eyeing the eeepc on my desk...

guess it'll be an academic eeepc until plumbers

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org

Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 AM
"Karsten 'quaid' Wade"

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 23:41 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:

> What you are seeing is the package plymouth that is taking the place of
> rhgb. And the stage you are seeing it at, is in alpha/beta mode itself,
> and the artwork, wording, graphics, etc.. will get better as we move
> towards F10 Final.

BTW, all of this, including how to disable plymouth, was covered in the
Alpha release notes:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/Alpha/ReleaseNotes#Boot_up

Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41