Old 08-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Jarod Wilson

Default No xen rawhide boot images

Orion Poplawski wrote:
No more os/images/xen in rawhide. Is this intentional? I'm not having
any luck using the pxeboot images with xen.

kernel-xen was mercifully finally put to rest. The kernel-PAE.i686 and
kernel.x86_64 packages now provide xen guest capabilities. No clue how one is
supposed to actually *install* those yet, mind you...

May well be that we need some compat symlinks or something to function with
virt tools that expect the kernel and initrd to be in os/images/xen/.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson@redhat.com

Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 14:17 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> No more os/images/xen in rawhide. Is this intentional? I'm not having
> any luck using the pxeboot images with xen.

This is part of the transition to not having a kernel-xen.
Unfortunately, the paravirt opts bits that are used for Xen domU support
are only functional with kernel-PAE on i686 (and not in the i586 kernel
at all). So the finagling to switch images/xen for i686 will be coming
back soon, but with kernel-PAE bits instead of kernel-xen (*sigh*)

Jeremy

Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Roland McGrath

> Unfortunately, the paravirt opts bits that are used for Xen domU support
> are only functional with kernel-PAE on i686 (and not in the i586 kernel
> at all). So the finagling to switch images/xen for i686 will be coming
> back soon, but with kernel-PAE bits instead of kernel-xen (*sigh*)

Is this really a new special case? Or can it just be part of the generic
"what kernel is right for this hardware?" choice that picks PAE/smp now?
(There is something like that, right?) When the "hardware" is paravirtual,
that's just a particular flavor of "hardware" for which there is a right kernel.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 14:04 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > Unfortunately, the paravirt opts bits that are used for Xen domU support
> > are only functional with kernel-PAE on i686 (and not in the i586 kernel
> > at all). So the finagling to switch images/xen for i686 will be coming
> > back soon, but with kernel-PAE bits instead of kernel-xen (*sigh*)
>
> Is this really a new special case? Or can it just be part of the generic
> "what kernel is right for this hardware?" choice that picks PAE/smp now?
> (There is something like that, right?) When the "hardware" is paravirtual,
> that's just a particular flavor of "hardware" for which there is a right kernel.

It's a changed special case more than a new special case for selection,
yes. Although it'd be really nice to get rid of PAE vs non-PAE, much
like we got rid of smp vs non-smp.

But for _booting_, real hardware can boot and run the i586 kernel. Xen
PV guests can *only* boot the PAE kernel. That's what makes this a new
and different special case.

Jeremy

Old 08-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Roland McGrath

> It's a changed special case more than a new special case for selection,
> yes. Although it'd be really nice to get rid of PAE vs non-PAE, much
> like we got rid of smp vs non-smp.

The internals to make that possible are significantly more of a pain in the
ass than the SMP case was. I suspect it won't ever happen. What will
probably happen is that eventually no non-PAE mode is optimal on non-ancient
hardware, so i686 always being PAE and i586 being non-PAE will be what to do.

> But for _booting_, real hardware can boot and run the i586 kernel. Xen
> PV guests can *only* boot the PAE kernel. That's what makes this a new
> and different special case.

Gotcha.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:42 AM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 02:17:39PM -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> No more os/images/xen in rawhide. Is this intentional? I'm not having
> any luck using the pxeboot images with xen.

Yes, kernel-xen is dead. Two things need to happen to make xen installs
work again

- The .treeinfo file needs the 'images-xen' section added back
pointing to the reglar PXE kernels.
- On i386 only, we'll need to provide alternate PAE enabled
PXE kernels images and point to that instead

Daniel

Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Mark McLoughlin

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 14:17 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> No more os/images/xen in rawhide. Is this intentional? I'm not having
> any luck using the pxeboot images with xen.

Jeremy explained it already, but here's the bug:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/456559

Hopefully we'll have this sorted in the next couple of days.

In the meantime, you should be able to use the pxeboot images on x86_64.
Have you tried that?

Cheers,
Mark.