Old 08-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Brian Pepple

Default Plan for tomorrows (20080806) FESCO meeting

Hi,

Please find below the list of topics that are likely to come up in the
next FESCo meeting that is scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday at 18:00
UTC in #fedora-meeting on irc.freenode.org:

/topic FESCo-Meeting -- Package Review queue - bpepple, all

/topic FESCo meeting -- Free discussion around Fedora

You want something to be discussed? Send a note to the list in reply to
this mail and I'll add it to the schedule. You can also propose topics
in the meeting while it is in the "Free discussion around Fedora" phase.

Later,
/B

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bpepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E

Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 PM
"Brian Pepple"

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Brian Pepple <bpepple@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Please find below the list of topics that are likely to come up in the
> next FESCo meeting that is scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday at 18:00
> UTC in #fedora-meeting on irc.freenode.org:
>
> /topic FESCo-Meeting -- Package Review queue - bpepple, all
>
> /topic FESCo meeting -- Free discussion around Fedora

Looks like the features were not pulled into the schedule due to the
change to new categories. Anyway, here's the features up for approval
at tomorrow's meeting:

/topic FESCo-Meeting -- Features -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterPrinting

/topic FESCo-Meeting -- Features -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterStartup

/topic FESCo-Meeting -- Features -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Portreserve

/topic FESCo-Meeting -- Features -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PythonNSS

/topic FESCo-Meeting -- Features -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SaveToBugzilla

Later,
/B

Old 08-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Sebastian Dziallas

Brian Pepple wrote:

[...]

Any chance for getting this into the meeting?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EducationSpin

But it might well be way too short-term...

Sebastian

Old 08-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Josh Boyer

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 12:58 +0200, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
> Brian Pepple wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Brian Pepple <bpepple@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >> Please find below the list of topics that are likely to come up in the
> >> next FESCo meeting that is scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday at 18:00
> >> UTC in #fedora-meeting on irc.freenode.org:
> >>
> >> /topic FESCo-Meeting -- Package Review queue - bpepple, all
> >>
> >> /topic FESCo meeting -- Free discussion around Fedora
> >
> > Looks like the features were not pulled into the schedule due to the
> > change to new categories. Anyway, here's the features up for approval
> > at tomorrow's meeting:
> >
> > /topic FESCo-Meeting -- Features -
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterPrinting
> >
> > /topic FESCo-Meeting -- Features -
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterStartup
> >
> > /topic FESCo-Meeting -- Features -
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Portreserve
> >
> > /topic FESCo-Meeting -- Features -
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PythonNSS
> >
> > /topic FESCo-Meeting -- Features -
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SaveToBugzilla
> >
> > Later,
> > /B
>
> Any chance for getting this into the meeting?
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EducationSpin
>
> But it might well be way too short-term...

At the last meeting FESCo decided they didn't feel it was necessary to
review the SIGs as Features unless the Spin SIG/owner and rel-eng
couldn't agree.

Just sent it to rel-eng.

josh

Old 08-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Josh Boyer wrote:

At the last meeting FESCo decided they didn't feel it was necessary to
review the SIGs as Features unless the Spin SIG/owner and rel-eng
couldn't agree.

Just sent it to rel-eng.

This ping-pong doesn't help. FESCo should really decide if spins are
features are not. Take input from rel-eng if necessary but please make a
decision either way.

Rahul

Old 08-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Sebastian Dziallas

Josh Boyer wrote:

Please find below the list of topics that are likely to come up in the
next FESCo meeting that is scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday at 18:00
UTC in #fedora-meeting on irc.freenode.org:

/topic FESCo-Meeting -- Package Review queue - bpepple, all

/topic FESCo meeting -- Free discussion around Fedora

Looks like the features were not pulled into the schedule due to the
change to new categories. Anyway, here's the features up for approval
at tomorrow's meeting:

[...]

Any chance for getting this into the meeting?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EducationSpin

But it might well be way too short-term...

At the last meeting FESCo decided they didn't feel it was necessary to
review the SIGs as Features unless the Spin SIG/owner and rel-eng
couldn't agree.

Just sent it to rel-eng.

josh

oups? seems like I've missed that part... thanks for the clarification!

I just sent the e-mail to rel-eng out

Sebastian

Old 08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Josh Boyer

> Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> > At the last meeting FESCo decided they didn't feel it was necessary to
> > review the SIGs as Features unless the Spin SIG/owner and rel-eng
> > couldn't agree.
> >
> > Just sent it to rel-eng.
>
> This ping-pong doesn't help. FESCo should really decide if spins are
> features are not. Take input from rel-eng if necessary but please make a
> decision either way.

They did make a decision. They decided that they aren't Features in the
sense that FESCo doesn't need to review them unless there is a problem
that needs to be escalated. Just like every other group/scenario we
have.

Rel-Eng has the approval authority for Spins. They want them treated as
Features (as does the Spins SIG last I knew), so the only thing that is
different is the approving body. There is no ping-ponging. Rel-eng
just wanted to make sure FESCo didn't want to be the approving body.

josh

Old 08-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Josh Boyer wrote:

Josh Boyer wrote:

[...]

Does this mean, they would be in the feature list or not? If not, what
is the approval process for rel-eng to consider them for approval?

Rahul

Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Josh Boyer

> Josh Boyer wrote:

> >> This ping-pong doesn't help. FESCo should really decide if spins are
> >> features are not. Take input from rel-eng if necessary but please make a
> >> decision either way.
> >
> > They did make a decision. They decided that they aren't Features in the
> > sense that FESCo doesn't need to review them unless there is a problem
> > that needs to be escalated. Just like every other group/scenario we
> > have.
> >
> > Rel-Eng has the approval authority for Spins. They want them treated as
> > Features (as does the Spins SIG last I knew), so the only thing that is
> > different is the approving body. There is no ping-ponging. Rel-eng
> > just wanted to make sure FESCo didn't want to be the approving body.
>
> Does this mean, they would be in the feature list or not?

No. They are Spins, not Features. However, see below.

> If not, what
> is the approval process for rel-eng to consider them for approval?

Basically the same as it was, with one extra step. rel-eng would like
to see the Feature infrastructure used for the spins, as the Feature
pages will allow better communication and planning to be done during the
release cycle.

Essentially, do the kickstart thing through the Spins SIG as it is now,
fill out a Feature page for the spin, and send a link to rel-eng with
that.

josh

Old 08-06-2008, 01:33 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 09:19 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 18:14 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Josh Boyer wrote:

> > > They did make a decision. They decided that they aren't Features in the
> > > sense that FESCo doesn't need to review them unless there is a problem
> > > that needs to be escalated. Just like every other group/scenario we
> > > have.
> > >
> > > Rel-Eng has the approval authority for Spins. They want them treated as
> > > Features (as does the Spins SIG last I knew), so the only thing that is
> > > different is the approving body. There is no ping-ponging. Rel-eng
> > > just wanted to make sure FESCo didn't want to be the approving body.
> >
> > Does this mean, they would be in the feature list or not?
>
> No. They are Spins, not Features. However, see below.
>
> > If not, what
> > is the approval process for rel-eng to consider them for approval?
>
> Basically the same as it was, with one extra step. rel-eng would like
> to see the Feature infrastructure used for the spins, as the Feature
> pages will allow better communication and planning to be done during the
> release cycle.
>
> Essentially, do the kickstart thing through the Spins SIG as it is now,
> fill out a Feature page for the spin, and send a link to rel-eng with
> that.

Having a feature page is extremely helpful for getting attention drawn
to new spins. I've already had several interviews about the Fedora 10
Alpha release and the writers had looked at our feature pages in
advance, and had specific questions about them.

--
Paul W. Frields
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/