Old 08-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Nigel Jones

Default cowbell ./. banshee

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 11:43 +0200, Sindre Bjørdal wrote:
> So, we should put the MusicBrainz stuff in a seperate package and have
> both banshee and cowbell depend on said package?
No, this and the banshee/ipod-sharp one is basically a random issue with
mono/RPM.

We had this happen with f-spot saying it provided mono(Mono.Addins) (In
a way it did, but it really didn't).

I'll hopefully be able to fix this with a rebuild.

- Nigel

Old 08-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Nigel Jones

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 22:17 +1200, Nigel Jones wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 11:43 +0200, Sindre Bjørdal wrote:
> > So, we should put the MusicBrainz stuff in a seperate package and have
> > both banshee and cowbell depend on said package?
> No, this and the banshee/ipod-sharp one is basically a random issue with
> mono/RPM.
>
> We had this happen with f-spot saying it provided mono(Mono.Addins) (In
> a way it did, but it really didn't).
>
> I'll hopefully be able to fix this with a rebuild.
Hmmm, so I'm completely wrong (like always eh?), it's not RPM or mono's
fault. In this case, Banshee appears to be upstream for MusicBrainz,
this poses an interesting situation, either:

Grab the entire Libraries/ directory and split it up and repackage them
(I'd be able to do this), or have banshee provide these features and
have them built during banshee builds/rebuilds (I'd perfer this)).

For those playing at home we have:

Hyena
Hyena.Gui
Lastfm
Lastfm.Gui
Migo
Mono.Media
Mtp
MusicBrainz

Hyena*, Lastfm* and Mono.Media are all licensed under MIT and are written/contributed by Banshee coders
Migo and Mtp are licensed under MIT as well, but I'm not sure if Banshee acts as upstream
MusicBrainz is GPLv2 and from what I've read, Banshee is upstream

I'll talk to the Banshee folks tomorrow when I see them, I already have to as they are still pointing people to Koji, which while is not exactly bad, these are _our_ users too and in my opinion updates-candidate packages shouldn't be trusted at all.

Basically, for the ones that Banshee act as upstream on, I think sub-packages will do and for others we'll have to look at extracting and submitting new SRPMs.

- Nigel