Old 08-04-2008, 08:05 PM
"Vasile Gaburici"

Default bmeps: tools for converting from images to pdf

I'm thinking of packaging these (http://bmeps.sourceforge.net/) for
Fedora. They're on CTAN and come with MiKTeX, but afaict Fedora's
texlive does not include them. Before I spend my time with this, is
there anything comparable that's already included in Fedora?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:35 PM
chasd

Fedora. They're on CTAN and come with MiKTeX, but afaict Fedora's
texlive does not include them. Before I spend my time with this, is
there anything comparable that's already included in Fedora?

You mean like -

convert photo10.jpg photo10.pdf

rpm -qf `which convert`
ImageMagick-6.3.5.9-1.fc8

I'm not sure if that resulting PDF works well in LaTeX.

Charles Dostale

Old 08-05-2008, 05:30 PM
"Vasile Gaburici"

ImageMagick can indeed do 99% of what bemps can do, but it requires
some non-obvious (to me) command line parameters. The only thing it
cannot do compared to bemps w.r.t. PDF generation is to use multiple
(piped) /Filter commands for the included image. See these
discussion(s) on ImageMagick mailing list:
http://www.nabble.com/How-to-specify--ASCII85Decode--FlateDecode-for-PDF-images--td18821616.html
http://www.nabble.com/1-bit-per-channel-PDF--td18822037.html

So, I don't have a compelling reason to package bmeps anymore.