Old 08-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Mark

Default RFC: Firefox general.autoScroll to true

>> o btw with this RFC it still pastes the content from the clipboard but
>> only when you middle click on the address bar
>
> The three-button mice are no longer manufactured and trying to click with the
> scrolling wheel is a pain as it usually scrolls away instead of the past by
> mistake as I still failed to disable the scrolling in F-9 (Bug 446818).
>
> While the middle-button pasting was a great convenience it should be
> reconsidered nowadays as the hardware for it is no longer commonly available.

Where did i gave you the impression that i use a 3 button mouse.. it's
a 2 button with a wheel in the middle of it. and i meant clicking on
the wheel when your mouse is above the address bar.

>> Then that's for Fedora specific because that's not the case in
>> Ubuntu.
>
> Or perhaps the Ubuntu folks have changed things from upstream firefox?

Could be.. in windows pressing the wheel above the address bar makes
it select it.. so now we have 3 different osses with 3 different
choises.

>> But that behavior you described is as irritating as hell so the RFC
>> still stands.
>
> Heh, and then you get the opposite RFC from anyone who is used to the
> *nix behavior and wonders why Firefox is scrolling instead of pasting
> the clipboard contents as we'd expect.

I doubt a lot of linux using people expect that. i think they either
expect it to do nothing or to get the scrolling.

cc'd to ff maintainter.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Leszek Matok

Dnia 2008-08-02, o godz. 18:23:29 Jan Kratochvil <jan.kratochvil@redhat.com>
napisał(a):

> The three-button mice are no longer manufactured and trying to click with the
> scrolling wheel is a pain as it usually scrolls away instead
I have no problem with clicking my middle button, which is also the wheel.
If I had a device with a button that can't be clicked, I'd replace it. If you
accept paying for mouse with unoperable buttons (or: have a mouse without the
middle button), use emulation. No big deal.

> While the middle-button pasting was a great convenience it should be
> reconsidered nowadays as the hardware for it is no longer commonly available.
Not only aren't good mice any problem for moderately agile people, my two and a
million other Thinkpads all had three buttons for the joystick. I'd swear this
hardware is still commonly available.

Regards,

Lam

Old 08-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Martin Sourada

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 18:23 +0200, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> The three-button mice are no longer manufactured and trying to click with the
> scrolling wheel is a pain as it usually scrolls away instead of the past by
> mistake as I still failed to disable the scrolling in F-9 (Bug 446818).
>
> While the middle-button pasting was a great convenience it should be
> reconsidered nowadays as the hardware for it is no longer commonly available.

-100 for that. I heavily use this feature and I am very irritated when I
cannot (e.g. when I need to use windows). And I have just ordinary 2
button mouse with scroll-wheel.

As for the thread point... In the context of linux desktops the current
behaviour makes more sense, the autoScroll feature can be enabled via
configuration dialogs. But I find scrolling using touch-pad far more
convenient than either this or mouse's scroll-wheel. I don't care what
has firefox set in Windows or in Ubuntu. We are in Fedora and we want
(or don't we?) consistency throughout the applications we have - not
with other platforms. There are reasons why Firefox has e.g. different
menu layout in linux than in windows or mac, as well as for the current
setting of autoScroll.

> Regards,
> Jan

Martin

Old 08-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Mark

> As for the thread point... In the context of linux desktops the current
> behaviour makes more sense, the autoScroll feature can be enabled via
> configuration dialogs. But I find scrolling using touch-pad far more
> convenient than either this or mouse's scroll-wheel. I don't care what
> has firefox set in Windows or in Ubuntu. We are in Fedora and we want
> (or don't we?) consistency throughout the applications we have - not
> with other platforms. There are reasons why Firefox has e.g. different
> menu layout in linux than in windows or mac, as well as for the current
> setting of autoScroll.

First: Touchpad is for notebooks! fedora is used on notebooks, yes,
but also on other pc's that don't have a touchpad (and i bet that is
the majority).

Second: I was afraid it was gonna go this way.. i feel like a software
application that is made for multiple osses should work the __same__
on all those osses. I have no clue why firefox finds it "wise" to do
other default settings on windows then on linux or mac but it sounds
stupid to me. And because the firefox you download from windows is
from mozilla itself (not from the dirstibution which would be MS). So
there is the version of firefox with the true default settings from
mozilla and i aim to bet those settings the same on __all__
distributions!

Third: This one annoys me most. We are talking about the click
function of the scrollwheel but some people don't seem to know what it
is or act stupid. Now this is a scrollwheel [1] and stick to it! No
more crap about the "middle mouse button".

So please go on topipc now and discuss the RFC i made here. It's clear
and understandable for everyone!

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scroll_wheel

Old 08-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Leszek Matok

Dnia 2008-08-02, o godz. 20:02:50 Mark <markg85@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> there is the version of firefox with the true default settings from
> mozilla and i aim to bet those settings the same on __all__
> distributions!
How much are you willing to bet?

> Third: This one annoys me most. We are talking about the click
> function of the scrollwheel but some people don't seem to know what it
> is or act stupid. Now this is a scrollwheel [1]
The WP article you're referring to says the wheel can be used as a third
button. For me, I don't care about the _shape_ of the button. If it can be
clicked, it is a button, period.

And if you really think it's not a button, DON'T CLICK IT at all

Lam

Old 08-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Mark

2008/8/2 Leszek Matok <Lam@lam.pl>:
> Dnia 2008-08-02, o godz. 20:02:50 Mark <markg85@gmail.com> napisał(a):
>
>> there is the version of firefox with the true default settings from
>> mozilla and i aim to bet those settings the same on __all__
>> distributions!
> How much are you willing to bet?
>

>> Third: This one annoys me most. We are talking about the click
>> function of the scrollwheel but some people don't seem to know what it
>> is or act stupid. Now this is a scrollwheel [1]
> The WP article you're referring to says the wheel can be used as a third
> button. For me, I don't care about the _shape_ of the button. If it can be
> clicked, it is a button, period.
>
> And if you really think it's not a button, DON'T CLICK IT at all
>
> Lam

Oh men your a pita.
you know exactly what i mean so stop acting stupid please.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Leszek Matok

Dnia 2008-08-02, o godz. 20:24:51 Mark <markg85@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> you know exactly what i mean so stop acting stupid please.
Oh please... It's not me who wants to change behaviour of of a button click
by claiming it's not a button.

If you want consistency between OS-es, that's a valid point and stick to that.
Let's talk about which one people prefer - consistency between two ports of one
application or consistency between tens of applications in one OS.

And there's also this habit thing - I middle-click to go to a page more
times daily than I've ever _seen_ Windows. OTOH, I'm all good with overriding
any default locally if it's simple enough, so go ahead if you think the
majority will benefit.

Lam

Old 08-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Martin Sourada

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 20:02 +0200, Mark wrote:
> First: Touchpad is for notebooks! fedora is used on notebooks, yes,
> but also on other pc's that don't have a touchpad (and i bet that is
> the majority).

Aah, sorry, I got carried away :-D

> Second: I was afraid it was gonna go this way.. i feel like a software
> application that is made for multiple osses should work the __same__
> on all those osses. I have no clue why firefox finds it "wise" to do
> other default settings on windows then on linux or mac but it sounds
> stupid to me. And because the firefox you download from windows is
> from mozilla itself (not from the dirstibution which would be MS). So
> there is the version of firefox with the true default settings from
> mozilla and i aim to bet those settings the same on __all__
> distributions!

Most of the people use one OS/distribution. And they don't certainly
want one app to behave totally different than another. It has much
higher priority than inter-OS sameness. If you download firefox for
linux from mozilla you'll get different firefox than if you download
firefox from mozilla for windows. That's a good thing. Period.

I use Gnome in Fedora and I want all applications I use to behave and
look similar. It's not the highest priority for choosing an application,
but how does that application looks/behave in other environment does not
matter to me at all. And most people are like that, only they use
different environment than me (KDE in Fedora, some DM in other distro,
Mac OS X, Windows, ...).

> Third: This one annoys me most. We are talking about the click
> function of the scrollwheel but some people don't seem to know what it
> is or act stupid. Now this is a scrollwheel [1] and stick to it! No
> more crap about the "middle mouse button".
>
> So please go on topipc now and discuss the RFC i made here. It's clear
> and understandable for everyone!
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scroll_wheel

If it's click-able it's *also* a third button. And when clicked it
should act like one. Period.

The "open link present in clipboard on middle-click" seems to me like
quite handy feature (unless you don't know about it) and in linux
environment it's IMHO better suitable for the middle-click action than
autoScroll.

Martin

Martin

Old 08-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Josh Boyer

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 18:17 +0200, Mark wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Mark <markg85@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Not true. You go to the URL stored in the clipboard.
> >>

> > Then that's for Fedora specific because that's not the case in Ubuntu.
> > But that behavior you described is as irritating as hell so the RFC
> > still stands.
> >

> o btw with this RFC it still pastes the content from the clipboard but
> only when you middle click on the address bar

RFCs should be filed in bugzilla under the package the RFC is for.
Posting it to a list like this is only going to generate a massive
amount of flamage.

josh

Old 08-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Mark

2008/8/2 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 20:02 +0200, Mark wrote:
>> First: Touchpad is for notebooks! fedora is used on notebooks, yes,
>> but also on other pc's that don't have a touchpad (and i bet that is
>> the majority).
>>
> Aah, sorry, I got carried away :-D

thought so

>> Second: I was afraid it was gonna go this way.. i feel like a software
>> application that is made for multiple osses should work the __same__
>> on all those osses. I have no clue why firefox finds it "wise" to do
>> other default settings on windows then on linux or mac but it sounds
>> stupid to me. And because the firefox you download from windows is
>> from mozilla itself (not from the dirstibution which would be MS). So
>> there is the version of firefox with the true default settings from
>> mozilla and i aim to bet those settings the same on __all__
>> distributions!
>>
> Most of the people use one OS/distribution. And they don't certainly
> want one app to behave totally different than another. It has much
> higher priority than inter-OS sameness. If you download firefox for
> linux from mozilla you'll get different firefox than if you download
> firefox from mozilla for windows. That's a good thing. Period.
>
> I use Gnome in Fedora and I want all applications I use to behave and
> look similar. It's not the highest priority for choosing an application,
> but how does that application looks/behave in other environment does not
> matter to me at all. And most people are like that, only they use
> different environment than me (KDE in Fedora, some DM in other distro,
> Mac OS X, Windows, ...).

all good (and off topic)

>> Third: This one annoys me most. We are talking about the click
>> function of the scrollwheel but some people don't seem to know what it
>> is or act stupid. Now this is a scrollwheel [1] and stick to it! No
>> more crap about the "middle mouse button".
>>
>> So please go on topipc now and discuss the RFC i made here. It's clear
>> and understandable for everyone!
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scroll_wheel
>>
> If it's click-able it's *also* a third button. And when clicked it
> should act like one. Period.
>
> The "open link present in clipboard on middle-click" seems to me like
> quite handy feature (unless you don't know about it) and in linux
> environment it's IMHO better suitable for the middle-click action than
> autoScroll.

Oke, here your losing me.
When you "click" the wheel it should indeed act like a button
(emulated) but now now imagine that you click your left mouse button
and then you get the "open link present in clipboard"... you can't
click anywhere because firefox will just open up new windows with that
link in the clipboard.. I don't find the feature usefull.. more like
useless and a extremely badly copied feature of opera (paste and go).
I can't imagine that some people find it usefull to have the wheel
click go to a page..

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> RFCs should be filed in bugzilla under the package the RFC is for.
> Posting it to a list like this is only going to generate a massive
> amount of flamage.
>
> josh

You clearly didn't read my first post at all.
I said:

I was planning on filing a bug report for this on bugzilla but it gave
me the message: Bugzilla will be down until 19:00 EDT for
maintenance.
So no report (for now).

And right now it gives me a 503 error Service Temporarily Unavailable
And why is posting to a list like this wrong? This is where the devel
list is for.

Anyway.. to get back on the topic (again) i still think (even more
than when i started this) that firefox middle click behavior should be
the same in windows and linux. I will fill a bug report about this on
mozilla as well and hope that there replies are mature unlike (almost)
everyone here.