Old 08-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Mark

Default RFC: Firefox general.autoScroll to true

Hey,

When you run firefox on windows, get on a big page and press the
scroll wheel you get this [1].
When you press it on linux in firefox you get... nothing...
It looked like mozilla intended to make it on (true) by default [2]
but could not find a later document of it.

I was planning on filing a bug report for this on bugzilla but it gave
me the message: Bugzilla will be down until 19:00 EDT for
maintenance.
So no report (for now).

The advantage of having this turned to true by default is to get the
expected behavior compared to firefox for windows.
Also reported the same "bug" on ubuntu's firefox bugs [3]

All that's needed to "fix" this is: the firefox maintainer needs to
add this line:
pref("general.autoScroll", true);
to firefox-redhat-default-prefs.js (btw.. fedora is splitted from
redhat so why not make a fedora specific prefs file like
firefox-fedora-default-prefs.js?)

And for a user that wants this turn on:
type about:config
type general.autoScroll
double click it or just change it to true
And done.

Also while looking through the firefox-redhat-default-prefs.js i
noticed that general.smoothScroll is turned on by default which is
probably because firefox is having scrolling issues with compiz
enabled. Here on my ubuntu box i have that part disabled! (actually bu
default) and compiz on and smooth scrolling (like in as smooth as in
windows)... so the "fix" is not to enable smoothscroll because that
simply reduces the lines that get scrolled when you.. scroll ^_^

[1] http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/firefox2/firefo54.gif
[2] http://kb.mozillazine.org/Talk:General.autoScroll
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/254230

Old 08-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 17:55 +0200, Mark wrote:
> Hey,
>
> When you run firefox on windows, get on a big page and press the
> scroll wheel you get this [1].
> When you press it on linux in firefox you get... nothing...

Not true. You go to the URL stored in the clipboard.

In Windows (originally MS Office, but now everywhere), middle clicking
does that autoscroll thing. In *nix, it pastes the contents of the
clipboard. Firefox's behavior is correct in both cases given the
environment it's in.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Mark

2008/8/2 Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 17:55 +0200, Mark wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> When you run firefox on windows, get on a big page and press the
>> scroll wheel you get this [1].
>> When you press it on linux in firefox you get... nothing...
>
> Not true. You go to the URL stored in the clipboard.

Then that's for Fedora specific because that's not the case in Ubuntu.
But that behavior you described is as irritating as hell so the RFC
still stands.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Mark

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Mark <markg85@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/8/2 Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet@gmail.com>:
>> On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 17:55 +0200, Mark wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> When you run firefox on windows, get on a big page and press the
>>> scroll wheel you get this [1].
>>> When you press it on linux in firefox you get... nothing...
>>
>> Not true. You go to the URL stored in the clipboard.
>>

> Then that's for Fedora specific because that's not the case in Ubuntu.
> But that behavior you described is as irritating as hell so the RFC
> still stands.

o btw with this RFC it still pastes the content from the clipboard but
only when you middle click on the address bar

Old 08-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Todd Zullinger

Mark wrote:
> Then that's for Fedora specific because that's not the case in
> Ubuntu.

Or perhaps the Ubuntu folks have changed things from upstream firefox?

> But that behavior you described is as irritating as hell so the RFC
> still stands.

Heh, and then you get the opposite RFC from anyone who is used to the
*nix behavior and wonders why Firefox is scrolling instead of pasting
the clipboard contents as we'd expect.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Jan Kratochvil

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 18:17:32 +0200, Mark wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Mark <markg85@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Then that's for Fedora specific because that's not the case in Ubuntu.
> > But that behavior you described is as irritating as hell so the RFC
> > still stands.
>
> o btw with this RFC it still pastes the content from the clipboard but
> only when you middle click on the address bar

The three-button mice are no longer manufactured and trying to click with the
scrolling wheel is a pain as it usually scrolls away instead of the past by
mistake as I still failed to disable the scrolling in F-9 (Bug 446818).

While the middle-button pasting was a great convenience it should be
reconsidered nowadays as the hardware for it is no longer commonly available.

Regards,
Jan