Old 08-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Caolan McNamara

Default Default paper size in the following countries...

So, I want to tidy up OOo's upstream "default paper selection by locale"
stuff, so if your country really does *typically* use Letter size paper
instead of A4 please let me know.

Definite Letter-format using nations:
US (CLDR)
Canada (CLDR)

Places that at least someone thinks should default to letter, but I'm
dubious about:
Mexico (OOo, Microsoft, Wikipedia)
Venezuela (OOo, Microsoft)
Chile (Microsoft, Wikipedia)
Colombia (Wikipedia)
Philippines (Wikipedia)
Argentina (Microsoft)
Brazil (Microsoft)
Puerto Rico (gtk)
"Latin American countries" (Microsoft), is sufficiently vague to suggest
that every American Spanish and Portuguese speaking nation gets a letter
default in Windows ?

Puerto Rico is plausible to me as a complicated-status-US-territory, but
is Letter really more commonly used than A4 in any of the above, or any
others for that matter ?

CLDR:
http://www.unicode.org/cldr/data/charts/supplemental/territory_language_information.html
Microsoft: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc195164.aspx
wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size

Old 08-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Bill Nottingham

Caolan McNamara (caolanm@redhat.com) said:
> So, I want to tidy up OOo's upstream "default paper selection by locale"
> stuff, so if your country really does *typically* use Letter size paper
> instead of A4 please let me know.

Why not use LC_PAPER?

Bill

Old 08-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Robert Marcano

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 17:22 +0100, Caolan McNamara wrote:
> So, I want to tidy up OOo's upstream "default paper selection by locale"
> stuff, so if your country really does *typically* use Letter size paper
> instead of A4 please let me know.
>
> Definite Letter-format using nations:
> US (CLDR)
> Canada (CLDR)
>
> Places that at least someone thinks should default to letter, but I'm
> dubious about:
> Mexico (OOo, Microsoft, Wikipedia)
> Venezuela (OOo, Microsoft)

Yes, in Venezuela we *typically* use letter

Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Pdraig Brady

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Caolan McNamara (caolanm@redhat.com) said:
>> So, I want to tidy up OOo's upstream "default paper selection by locale"
>> stuff, so if your country really does *typically* use Letter size paper
>> instead of A4 please let me know.
>
> Why not use LC_PAPER?

I find the locale database quite inaccurate sometimes unfortunately.
It might be a useful project to sync it with the CLDR?
Anyway this is what is on my fedora system at present:

locale -a | #list all locales
grep -F _ | #exclude nationalities
sort -k1.4,1.5 -u | #pick unique countries
while read LANG; do
echo $(locale height territory)
done |
grep -F 279 #letter

Canada 279
Puerto Rico 279
USA 279

Old 08-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Igor Pires Soares

Em Sex, 2008-08-01 s 17:22 +0100, Caolan McNamara escreveu:
> So, I want to tidy up OOo's upstream "default paper selection by locale"
> stuff, so if your country really does *typically* use Letter size paper
> instead of A4 please let me know.
>
> Places that at least someone thinks should default to letter, but I'm
> dubious about:
> Brazil (Microsoft)

In Brazil the default paper size is usually A4, as defined by ABNT, the
Brazilian standardization agency.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Caolan McNamara

> Caolan McNamara (caolanm@redhat.com) said:
> > So, I want to tidy up OOo's upstream "default paper selection by locale"
> > stuff, so if your country really does *typically* use Letter size paper
> > instead of A4 please let me know.
>
> Why not use LC_PAPER?

Because of the inconsistencies between what is the official paper size
and what people actually use.

C.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Harish Pillay 9v1hp

> Em Sex, 2008-08-01 s 17:22 +0100, Caolan McNamara escreveu:
>> So, I want to tidy up OOo's upstream "default paper selection by locale"
>> stuff, so if your country really does *typically* use Letter size paper
>> instead of A4 please let me know.

In Singapore, Malaysia it is A4.

--
Harish Pillay 9v1hp hpillay@redhat.com +65.9636.9253 gpg id: 746809E3
gpg fingerprint: F7F5 5CCD 25B9 FC25 303E 3DA2 0F80 27DB 7468 09E3

Old 08-07-2008, 12:15 AM
"Horst H. von Brand"

Caolan McNamara <caolanm@redhat.com> wrote:
> So, I want to tidy up OOo's upstream "default paper selection by locale"
> stuff, so if your country really does *typically* use Letter size paper
> instead of A4 please let me know.

[...]

> Places that at least someone thinks should default to letter, but I'm
> dubious about:

[...]

> Chile (Microsoft, Wikipedia)

I confirm: Official standard is A4 (which nobody uses), "normal" paper here
is US letter.

Thanks for this effort!
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000 Fax: +56 32 2797513

Old 08-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Matej Cepl

On 2008-08-01, 23:35 GMT, Caolan McNamara wrote:
>> Why not use LC_PAPER?
>
> Because of the inconsistencies between what is the official paper size
> and what people actually use.

Shouldn't we fix locale database then?

Matěj