Old 07-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Daniel Drake

Default Move libgnome Python bindings to gnome-python2-gnome?

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 16:09 +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 11:03 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> > Possibly affected packages include:
> >
> > system-config-printer
>
> Not affected by these. It only uses gnome.url_show.

gnome.url show is a binding to libgnome's gnome_url_show. So the
dependencies would have to be updated to depend on gnome-python2-gnome.

Daniel

Old 07-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Mamoru Tasaka

Matthew Barnes wrote, at 08/01/2008 12:03 AM +9:00:
> The OLPC guys are asking me to split the Python bindings for libgnome
> and libgnomeui into a new subpackage of gnome-python2 called
> gnome-python2-gnome (see [1]). The rationale being that libgnome drags
> in extra dependencies that some of the other gnome-python2 subpackages
> don't need. For example, gnome-python2-gnomevfs doesn't need libgnome
> but still requires its parent package, gnome-python2.
>
> This sounds like a reasonable idea to me but it will break other
> packages that require gnome-python2 expecting to get the libgnome[ui]
> bindings. Those packages would have to require gnome-python2-gnome
> instead.
>
> Possibly affected packages include:

> wallpapoz
>
> Any objections or alternate suggestions?

I maintain wallpapoz and as far as I am correct wallpapoz is also affected:
wallpapoz uses

gnome.PARAM_APP_DATADIR
gnome.program_init
gnome.help_display

Instead, if OLPC members wants to use only non-binding part, would you consider
to create gnome-python2-base (for example) and to make gnome-python2 depend on
gnome-python2-base?

Regards,
Mamoru

Old 07-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Tim Waugh

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 11:39 -0400, Daniel Drake wrote:
> gnome.url show is a binding to libgnome's gnome_url_show. So the
> dependencies would have to be updated to depend on gnome-python2-gnome.

Ah, I misunderstood the original email. Thanks for correcting me.

[Aside: I'm been wondering for a while about this GNOME dependency in
system-config-printer, but don't know of a good replacement for
gnome.url_show.]

Tim.
*/

Old 07-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 17:28 +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 11:39 -0400, Daniel Drake wrote:
> > gnome.url show is a binding to libgnome's gnome_url_show. So the
> > dependencies would have to be updated to depend on gnome-python2-gnome.
>
> Ah, I misunderstood the original email. Thanks for correcting me.
>
> [Aside: I'm been wondering for a while about this GNOME dependency in
> system-config-printer, but don't know of a good replacement for
> gnome.url_show.]

The gtk in rawhide has gtk_show_uri, which is a good replacement.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Tim Waugh

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 12:31 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> The gtk in rawhide has gtk_show_uri, which is a good replacement.

That's great news! Now I just need pygtk to pick it up...

Thanks,
Tim.
*/

Old 07-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Daniel Drake

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 01:07 +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> Instead, if OLPC members wants to use only non-binding part, would you consider
> to create gnome-python2-base (for example) and to make gnome-python2 depend on
> gnome-python2-base?

That sounds like a good idea. Matthew?

Old 07-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Matthew Barnes

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 13:33 -0400, Daniel Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 01:07 +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> > Instead, if OLPC members wants to use only non-binding part, would you consider
> > to create gnome-python2-base (for example) and to make gnome-python2 depend on
> > gnome-python2-base?
>
> That sounds like a good idea. Matthew?

Seems kind of convoluted to me. I'd rather the libgnome[ui] bindings
get their own subpackage, same as the other bindings in gnome-python2.
I can deal with the one-time hassle of fixing requirements breakage.

Matthew Barnes