Old 07-31-2008, 10:04 AM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Default Looking for someone to pull / manage Games Spin for F-10

Hans de Goede wrote:

Hi All,

I know most of us (fedora-games-list subscribers) have grown from game
packagers to contributors also doing more "serious" Fedora work.

Still Games are fun and having good Games support in Fedora is important
and I know we are all still working hard to keep our game packages in
top notch state.

Given that we have all these top notch state game packages its really a
shame that we've not done a Games Spin for F-9, and we might miss the
boat for F-10 too. So I'm looking for someone to pull and coordinate the
efforts needed to get a Games Spin for F-10, as always I'm willing to
help but:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterWebcamSupport

Is taking almost all my time so I have no time to take the lead on this
one, so any takers? The first task would be to fill in the details of:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GamesSpin

And ask for the spin to be approved.

The Spin SIG sorta assists you in getting the kickstart right, approved
and pushed to a GIT repository on fedorahosted[1], where you can then
continue maintenance.

Since I'm on this list as well (and the Spin SIG lead for lack of a
better word to describe it), I would like to see some maintainers step
up and get the games spin up and running again.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip

[1] git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/spin-kickstarts.git

Old 07-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Hans de Goede

[...]

Thanks & Regards,

Hans

Old 08-03-2008, 01:32 AM
Wart

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I know most of us (fedora-games-list subscribers) have grown from game
>> packagers to contributors also doing more "serious" Fedora work.
>>
>> Still Games are fun and having good Games support in Fedora is
>> important and I know we are all still working hard to keep our game
>> packages in top notch state.
>>
>> Given that we have all these top notch state game packages its really
>> a shame that we've not done a Games Spin for F-9, and we might miss
>> the boat for F-10 too. So I'm looking for someone to pull and
>> coordinate the efforts needed to get a Games Spin for F-10, as always
>> I'm willing to help but:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterWebcamSupport
>>
>> Is taking almost all my time so I have no time to take the lead on
>> this one, so any takers? The first task would be to fill in the
>> details of:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GamesSpin
>>
>> And ask for the spin to be approved.
>>

> The Spin SIG sorta assists you in getting the kickstart right, approved
> and pushed to a GIT repository on fedorahosted[1], where you can then
> continue maintenance.
>
> Since I'm on this list as well (and the Spin SIG lead for lack of a
> better word to describe it), I would like to see some maintainers step
> up and get the games spin up and running again.

I started working on getting the Games spin working for Rawhide, but
kept running into out of space errors. I think the contents of the spin
may be a bit too large at the moment. The -desktop spin built ok.

FWIW, livecd-creator failed to even parse the .ks files on RHEL5.2.
I'll file a bz ticket on that one.

--Wart

Old 08-03-2008, 02:01 AM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Wart wrote:

I started working on getting the Games spin working for Rawhide, but
kept running into out of space errors. I think the contents of the spin
may be a bit too large at the moment. The -desktop spin built ok.

FWIW, livecd-creator failed to even parse the .ks files on RHEL5.2.
I'll file a bz ticket on that one.

I hope you are able to test the .ks on F9's / rawhide's livecd-tools as
well, because I don't think the good old livecd-tools that is in EPEL-5
takes the "part / xxxx" kickstart configuration directive into account
when creating the filesystem to install the packages to, and only F9's /
rawhide's livecd-tools have the necessary patches to make the "part /
xxxx" configuration directive overrideable.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip

Old 08-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Wart

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Wart wrote:
>> I started working on getting the Games spin working for Rawhide, but
>> kept running into out of space errors. I think the contents of the spin
>> may be a bit too large at the moment. The -desktop spin built ok.
>>
>> FWIW, livecd-creator failed to even parse the .ks files on RHEL5.2.
>> I'll file a bz ticket on that one.
>>

> I hope you are able to test the .ks on F9's / rawhide's livecd-tools as
> well, because I don't think the good old livecd-tools that is in EPEL-5
> takes the "part / xxxx" kickstart configuration directive into account
> when creating the filesystem to install the packages to, and only F9's /
> rawhide's livecd-tools have the necessary patches to make the "part /
> xxxx" configuration directive overrideable.

I was finally able to use livecd-tools to build the image on F-9[1], but
only after commenting out the "traditional (big)" games to get around
the out of space issues. We need to make a pass through the list of
games in the .ks file and prune out a few to get the size down to a more
manageable level: https://fedorahosted.org/spin-kickstarts/

--Wart
[1] I'd prefer to do this on RHEL5.2, since it would allow me to use my
nice fat pipe at work[2], as opposed to the pathetic DSL at home.
[2] ...at least until I get a F-9 box running at work. For some reason,
xen networking keeps puking when I try to set up a F-9 xen slave.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Hans de Goede

Wart wrote:

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

Wart wrote:

[...]

Hi Wart,

Good to see someone is looking after the Spin !!

The first thing todo about the size issues is to increase the size of the root
partition, so make the number at the end of this line larger:

part / --size 8000

Say for example 12000, then the dvd image should atleast build and depending on
how good the compression works might still fit on a 4.3 Gb single layer dvd
(which I doubt) once we have a too large iso we atleast have a ballpark idea of
how much we need to shave of. For starters drop vegastrike as that is
absolutely *huge*.

Regards,

Hans

Old 08-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Wart wrote:

I was finally able to use livecd-tools to build the image on F-9[1], but
only after commenting out the "traditional (big)" games to get around
the out of space issues. We need to make a pass through the list of
games in the .ks file and prune out a few to get the size down to a more
manageable level: https://fedorahosted.org/spin-kickstarts/

Can you request GIT commit access by joining the gitspin-kickstarts
group in FAS?

It'll enable you to perform real maintenance in "the upstream" (eg.
central) repository and allows collaboration in case other people want
to take a stab at it as well.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/group/view/gitspin-kickstarts

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip

Old 08-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Hans de Goede wrote:

Wart wrote:

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

Wart wrote:

(...snip...)

The first thing todo about the size issues is to increase the size of
the root partition, so make the number at the end of this line larger:

part / --size 8000

Some useful output from Revisor, running with the --report-sizes command
line switch:

==Report of the %d most space consuming packages==

Install Sizes:

359 MB for nexuiz-data-2.4.2-1.fc10.noarch
326 MB for vegastrike-data-0.5.0-3.noarch
267 MB for openarena-0.7.7-2.fc10.noarch
238 MB for alienarena-data-20080603-2.fc10.noarch
202 MB for fgfs-base-1.0.0-1.fc9.noarch
145 MB for wesnoth-1.4.2-1.fc10.x86_64
124 MB for vdrift-data-20071226-3.fc9.noarch
106 MB for uqm-content-voice-0.6.0-2.noarch
98 MB for fillets-ng-data-0.8.0-1.noarch
97 MB for freedroidrpg-0.10.3-2.fc9.x86_64
96 MB for tremulous-data-1.1.0-4.fc8.noarch
73 MB for astromenace-data-1.2-1.fc8.noarch
66 MB for beneath-a-steel-sky-cd-0.0372-2.fc8.noarch
62 MB for glest-data-3.1.2-1.fc9.noarch
61 MB for egoboo-data-2.7.5-1.fc9.noarch
60 MB for boswars-2.5-1.fc9.x86_64
57 MB for scorched3d-41.3-2.fc9.x86_64
56 MB for texlive-texmf-fonts-2007-23.fc10.noarch
54 MB for torcs-data-tracks-road-1.3.0-2.noarch
53 MB for wormux-data-0.8-1.fc10.x86_64
44 MB for gcompris-8.4.5-2.fc10.x86_64

Package (RPM) Sizes:

[...]

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip

Old 08-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Hans de Goede

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
Some useful output from Revisor, running with the --report-sizes command
line switch:

==Report of the %d most space consuming packages==

Install Sizes:

359 MB for nexuiz-data-2.4.2-1.fc10.noarch
326 MB for vegastrike-data-0.5.0-3.noarch
267 MB for openarena-0.7.7-2.fc10.noarch
238 MB for alienarena-data-20080603-2.fc10.noarch
202 MB for fgfs-base-1.0.0-1.fc9.noarch
145 MB for wesnoth-1.4.2-1.fc10.x86_64
124 MB for vdrift-data-20071226-3.fc9.noarch
106 MB for uqm-content-voice-0.6.0-2.noarch

<snip>

As said I'm ok with removing vegastrike, I would like to vote to keep nexuiz as
that really is one of the best games FOSS has to offer and instead remove
openarena, also maybe completely remove uqm or atleast the addons like the
-voices package.

Hope this helps!

Its very helpfull, thanks!

Regards,