FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-29-2008, 12:48 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"
 
Default latrace

Has anyone looked at packaging 'latrace', apparently a library call
tracer similar to strace? I don't see it in Rawhide at the moment
anyway.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/latrace/
http://latrace.sourceforge.net/

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Emerging Technologies, Red Hat http://et.redhat.com/~rjones
virt-df lists disk usage of guests without needing to install any
software inside the virtual machine. Supports Linux and Windows.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 07-29-2008, 01:04 PM
"Rakesh Pandit"
 
Default latrace

2008/7/29 Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com>:
> Has anyone looked at packaging 'latrace', apparently a library call
> tracer similar to strace? I don't see it in Rawhide at the moment
> anyway.
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/latrace/
> http://latrace.sourceforge.net/
>

I too cannot see it in pkgdb nor can find any bugzilla review request.

I will package it this weekend, if no one picks it up till then.

--
Regards,
Rakesh Pandit

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 07-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Chuck Anderson
 
Default latrace

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 06:34:02PM +0530, Rakesh Pandit wrote:
> 2008/7/29 Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com>:
> > Has anyone looked at packaging 'latrace', apparently a library call
> > tracer similar to strace? I don't see it in Rawhide at the moment
> > anyway.
> >
> > http://freshmeat.net/projects/latrace/
> > http://latrace.sourceforge.net/
> >
>
> I too cannot see it in pkgdb nor can find any bugzilla review request.
>
> I will package it this weekend, if no one picks it up till then.

How is it different than ltrace?

>rpm -qif `which ltrace`
Name : ltrace Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 0.5 Vendor: Fedora Project
Release : 10.45svn.fc9 Build Date: Mon 10 Mar 2008 06:59:12 AM EDT
Install Date: Mon 07 Apr 2008 08:39:52 PM EDT Build Host: xenbuilder1.fedora.redhat.com
Group : Development/Debuggers Source RPM: ltrace-0.5-10.45svn.fc9.src.rpm
Size : 113682 License: GPLv2+
Signature : DSA/SHA1, Mon 10 Mar 2008 09:00:23 AM EDT, Key ID da84cbd430c9ecf8Packager : Fedora Project
URL : http://ltrace.alioth.debian.org/
Summary : Tracks runtime library calls from dynamically linked executables
Description :
Ltrace is a debugging program which runs a specified command until the
command exits. While the command is executing, ltrace intercepts and
records both the dynamic library calls called by the executed process
and the signals received by the executed process. Ltrace can also
intercept and print system calls executed by the process.

You should install ltrace if you need a sysadmin tool for tracking the
execution of processes.

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 07-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Josh Boyer
 
Default latrace

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 13:48 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Has anyone looked at packaging 'latrace', apparently a library call
> tracer similar to strace? I don't see it in Rawhide at the moment
> anyway.
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/latrace/
> http://latrace.sourceforge.net/

We already have 'ltrace'. Is that not suitable?

Description :
Ltrace is a debugging program which runs a specified command until the
command exits. While the command is executing, ltrace intercepts and
records both the dynamic library calls called by the executed process
and the signals received by the executed process. Ltrace can also
intercept and print system calls executed by the process.

josh

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 07-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Petr Machata
 
Default latrace

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 09:27:21AM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 06:34:02PM +0530, Rakesh Pandit wrote:
> > I too cannot see it in pkgdb nor can find any bugzilla review request.
> >
> > I will package it this weekend, if no one picks it up till then.
>
> How is it different than ltrace?

ltrace doesn't handle multi-threaded applications, but can trace
system calls. It has extensible parameter formatter (dunno about
latrace). latrace will have considerably better performance, because
there is no context switch involved in tracing, like is the case for
traditional breakpoint based tracing.

Other related project is dltrace, which like latrace uses LD_AUDIT
mechanism. It resides in elfutils repository, which is unfortunate,
because fedorahosted doesn't (yet, hopefully) give read-only access
for some monotone-related reason. Essentially no work is done on
dltrace. I can upload srpm of latest greatest if there is an
interest, e.g. among latrace upstream.

Yet another related project is ftrace from the "frysk" suite. That
uses traditional ptrace approach. It handles threads, allows cherry
picking of symbols to trace, and is not limited to symbols with PLT
entries. The downside is that it's a bulky monster written in java.

Personally I believe the way for future is to write all the tracing
and event-handling tools on top of / as part of systemtap, as soon as
it's capable of userspace tracing that is. That would give Linux
single tool for analysis and debugging of everything from the kernel
up. I don't really know much about systemtap though.

PM
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 07-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Behdad Esfahbod
 
Default latrace

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 16:13 +0200, Petr Machata wrote:
>
> Personally I believe the way for future is to write all the tracing
> and event-handling tools on top of / as part of systemtap, as soon as
> it's capable of userspace tracing that is. That would give Linux
> single tool for analysis and debugging of everything from the kernel
> up. I don't really know much about systemtap though.

Which requires root access...

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little
Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 PM
 
Default latrace

Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org> writes:

> On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 16:13 +0200, Petr Machata wrote:
>> Personally I believe the way for future is to write all the tracing
>> and event-handling tools on top of / as part of systemtap [...]
>
> Which requires root access...

FWIW, that is temporary.

- FChE

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:33 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org