Old 07-26-2008, 10:39 PM
"Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski"

Default libdvdread slight API breakage

Since libdvdnav (and libdvdread) have been forked by one of MPlayer's
developers, there's been a significant bugfixing effort going on.
Unfortunately, the new upstream broke the API a bit. While before
you'd use
#include <dvdread/dvd_reader.h>
now you have to use
#include <libdvdread/dvd_reader.h>.

A libdvdread build that requires the above change has already landed
in rawhide. The ABI hasn't changed, so there's no immediate need to rebuild.

Affected packages:
dvdauthor
k3b
lsdvd
python-kaa-metadata

Regards,
R.

Livna http://rpm.livna.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu
"Faith manages."

Old 07-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Ville Skyttä

On Sunday 27 July 2008, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> Since libdvdnav (and libdvdread) have been forked by one of MPlayer's
> developers, there's been a significant bugfixing effort going on.
> Unfortunately, the new upstream broke the API a bit. While before
> you'd use
> #include <dvdread/dvd_reader.h>
> now you have to use
> #include <libdvdread/dvd_reader.h>.

Any ideas why they did that and if similar breakage is expected to happen with
dvdnav soon (it's still <dvdnav/...>)?

> A libdvdread build that requires the above change has already landed
> in rawhide.

Quite a while ago actually. I placed an ugly hack in dvdauthor that should
keep the package backwards compatible almost three weeks ago to take this
into account.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 PM

On Sunday, 27 July 2008 at 11:11, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Sunday 27 July 2008, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > Since libdvdnav (and libdvdread) have been forked by one of MPlayer's
> > developers, there's been a significant bugfixing effort going on.
> > Unfortunately, the new upstream broke the API a bit. While before
> > you'd use
> > #include <dvdread/dvd_reader.h>
> > now you have to use
> > #include <libdvdread/dvd_reader.h>.
>
> Any ideas why they did that

To avoid clash with MPlayer's internal libdvdread copy. I'm trying
to convince Nico to reverse that and change MPlayer's internal copy
instead (or remove it alltogether) before the next release.

> and if similar breakage is expected to happen with
> dvdnav soon (it's still <dvdnav/...>)?

I don't think it will happen. There was no need.

> > A libdvdread build that requires the above change has already landed
> > in rawhide.
>
> Quite a while ago actually. I placed an ugly hack in dvdauthor that should
> keep the package backwards compatible almost three weeks ago to take this
> into account.

Thanks and sorry for the late notice.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:45 AM

On Monday, 28 July 2008 at 00:16, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Sunday, 27 July 2008 at 11:11, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > On Sunday 27 July 2008, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > > Since libdvdnav (and libdvdread) have been forked by one of MPlayer's
> > > developers, there's been a significant bugfixing effort going on.
> > > Unfortunately, the new upstream broke the API a bit. While before
> > > you'd use
> > > #include <dvdread/dvd_reader.h>
> > > now you have to use
> > > #include <libdvdread/dvd_reader.h>.
> >
> > Any ideas why they did that
>
> To avoid clash with MPlayer's internal libdvdread copy. I'm trying
> to convince Nico to reverse that and change MPlayer's internal copy
> instead (or remove it alltogether) before the next release.

And I've been successful. Patch is already in SVN and the upcoming
4.1.3 release will keep the old include paths. MPlayer has already
been fixed, too.
Sorry for the extra work it caused you.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Ville Skyttä

On Sunday 31 August 2008, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Monday, 28 July 2008 at 00:16, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > On Sunday, 27 July 2008 at 11:11, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > >
> > > Any ideas why they did that
> >
> > To avoid clash with MPlayer's internal libdvdread copy. I'm trying
> > to convince Nico to reverse that and change MPlayer's internal copy
> > instead (or remove it alltogether) before the next release.
>
> And I've been successful. Patch is already in SVN and the upcoming
> 4.1.3 release will keep the old include paths. MPlayer has already
> been fixed, too.
> Sorry for the extra work it caused you.

No problem, thanks for the report and for spending time to improve this!