Old 07-23-2008, 09:59 PM
"Peter Robinson"

Default Intel moves moblin MIDs from Ubuntu to Fedora!

Very cool news. I look forward to the SIG, the spin and seeing Fedora
on even more cool devices :-)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/23/moblin_reworked/

Cheers,
Peter

Old 07-23-2008, 11:15 PM
"David Nielsen"

2008/7/23 Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@gmail.com>:

Very cool news. I look forward to the SIG, the spin and seeing Fedora

on even more cool devices :-)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/23/moblin_reworked/

Cheers,

Peter

Wow, unexpected but most welcome.. tell the world by digging:

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Intel_s_Moblin_dumps_Ubuntu_in_favor_of_Fedora

*

Old 07-24-2008, 12:17 AM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very cool news. I look forward to the SIG, the spin and seeing Fedora
> on even more cool devices :-)
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/23/moblin_reworked/

Here's what's not clear.... is intel going to look to talk with us
about making this part of the larger Fedora project or is it going to
be a downstream derived distribution that will include components such
that it can not carry the Fedora name? Or are they planning to just
leverage the existing Fedora distribution bits and do their own thing
in a way that isn't aligned with existing Fedora contribution
guidance? Have I missed a discussion concerning Moblin interaction
with Fedora in the "project" sense? If I have please point me to it so
I can read up.

A number of questions spring to mind, chief among them whether the new
Moblin can be incorporated under our secondary arch policy? How
different is the Atom processor anyways? If they are serious about
making this more attractive to developers, I think we need to have a
serious discussion about whether or not the technical work they are
doing can and should live under the Fedora project umbrella.
Can/Should Moblin be the part of the Fedora project aimed at mobile
devices? Sharing to some extent policy, best practices guidance, and
contributor-base. Or should it sit outside our project completely?

-jef

Old 07-24-2008, 08:19 AM
yersinia

For me it is interesting the reason

" Dirk Hohndel, Intel's director of Linux and open-source strategy, told The Reg
there was no falling out with Ubuntu, but the move to Fedora was a
technical decision based on the desire to adopt RPM for package
management.
"

Old 07-24-2008, 08:20 AM
"Peter Robinson"

>> Very cool news. I look forward to the SIG, the spin and seeing Fedora
>> on even more cool devices :-)
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/23/moblin_reworked/
>
> Here's what's not clear.... is intel going to look to talk with us
> about making this part of the larger Fedora project or is it going to
> be a downstream derived distribution that will include components such
> that it can not carry the Fedora name? Or are they planning to just
> leverage the existing Fedora distribution bits and do their own thing
> in a way that isn't aligned with existing Fedora contribution
> guidance? Have I missed a discussion concerning Moblin interaction
> with Fedora in the "project" sense? If I have please point me to it so
> I can read up.

No idea, would be cool if they contributed and there was a SIG and a MID Spin.

> A number of questions spring to mind, chief among them whether the new
> Moblin can be incorporated under our secondary arch policy? How
> different is the Atom processor anyways? If they are serious about
> making this more attractive to developers, I think we need to have a
> serious discussion about whether or not the technical work they are
> doing can and should live under the Fedora project umbrella.
> Can/Should Moblin be the part of the Fedora project aimed at mobile
> devices? Sharing to some extent policy, best practices guidance, and
> contributor-base. Or should it sit outside our project completely?

There's some pretty good details of the atom processor stuff at Tom's
hardware. There's two strains, one which is in a lot of the NetBook
devices and one for iPhone style devices.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-atom-cpu,1947.html

Peter

Old 07-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Hans de Goede

yersinia wrote:

For me it is interesting the reason

" Dirk Hohndel, Intel's director of Linux and open-source strategy, told
/The Reg/ there was no falling out with Ubuntu, but the move to Fedora
was a technical decision based *on the desire to adopt RPM for package
management*.

"

I personally find the following reason much more interesting:

'He added: "The other thing we thought about was Moblin one wasn't successful
in creating this community push - having a vibrant community push is the
winning factor."'

I think we (Jeff ?) should contact this guy explain we have a very vibrant
community with plenty of interested contributers and that we would really like
to see most (iow not any proprietary stuff) of the moblin work happening at the
Fedora level, using the Fedora infra.

So Jeff, your always good with words, do you feel like contacting Dirk Hohndel?

Regards,

Hans

Old 07-24-2008, 08:45 AM
"Nicolas Mailhot"

Le Jeu 24 juillet 2008 10:35, Hans de Goede a écrit :

> I personally find the following reason much more interesting:
>
> 'He added: "The other thing we thought about was Moblin one wasn't
> successful
> in creating this community push - having a vibrant community push is
> the winning factor."'

Intel wants a developer community.
Intel associates with a end-user oriented non-technical distribution.
Developer community fails to materialize.

How utterly un-surprising

(also lots of frustrated Debianists wrote that it's because of his
past as Suse, but surely if it was motivated by his past relations,
he'd have chosen OpenSuse instead of Fedora?)

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 07-24-2008, 03:34 PM
David Woodhouse

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 09:20 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> >> Very cool news. I look forward to the SIG, the spin and seeing Fedora
> >> on even more cool devices :-)
> >>
> >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/23/moblin_reworked/
> >
> > Here's what's not clear.... is intel going to look to talk with us
> > about making this part of the larger Fedora project or is it going to
> > be a downstream derived distribution that will include components such
> > that it can not carry the Fedora name? Or are they planning to just
> > leverage the existing Fedora distribution bits and do their own thing
> > in a way that isn't aligned with existing Fedora contribution
> > guidance? Have I missed a discussion concerning Moblin interaction
> > with Fedora in the "project" sense? If I have please point me to it so
> > I can read up.
>
> No idea, would be cool if they contributed and there was a SIG and a MID Spin.

Yeah, that would definitely be cool.

--
David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse@intel.com Intel Corporation

Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@hhs.nl> wrote:
> So Jeff, your always good with words, do you feel like contacting Dirk
> Hohndel?

If I could find reliable contact information. But I think we have a
Board member, Karsten, at OSCON who can face-to-face with him this
week.

-jef

Old 07-24-2008, 03:52 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 07:46 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@hhs.nl> wrote:
> > So Jeff, your always good with words, do you feel like contacting Dirk
> > Hohndel?
>
> If I could find reliable contact information. But I think we have a
> Board member, Karsten, at OSCON who can face-to-face with him this
> week.

Q.v.:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2008-July/msg00194.html

--