Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 AM
"Robert M. Albrecht"

Default /usr/sbin/alternatives

Hi,

can alternatives only change links or is it able to manipulate
config-files ?

I wan`t to build an alternative-config-file, but only changing some
links is insufficent. I also need to change a setting in one
configuration file.

Is alternative the right tool or is there another canoncial way ?

cu romal

www.romal.de
blog.romal.de

Old 07-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Rex Dieter

Robert M. Albrecht wrote:

> can alternatives only change links or is it able to manipulate
> config-files ?

afaik, the former.

-- Rex

Old 07-23-2008, 12:58 PM
yersinia

The former. For the configuration facility you have to look to:
- puppet
- func
- manual script or configuration rpm if you are inclined

Regards

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:

Robert M. Albrecht wrote:

> can alternatives only change links or is it able to manipulate

> config-files ?

afaik, the former.

-- Rex

Old 07-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Bill Nottingham

Robert M. Albrecht (romal@gmx.de) said:
> can alternatives only change links or is it able to manipulate
> config-files ?

It does not handle the editing of configuration files.

Bill