Old 07-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Arjan van de Ven

Default Fedora 9 on ASUS EeePC 900

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 21:09:30 +0200
Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm investigating the issues that I can expect when I want to install
> Fedora 9 on an ASUS EeePC 900.
>
> I found some references, mainly referring

I recently installed F9 on an 901 (the one with an atom cpu)

turns out the ethernet is a new chip, for which a patch got posted to
lkml 3 days or so ago (search for "L1E")

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org

Old 07-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Jos Vos

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 12:40:48PM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> I recently installed F9 on an 901 (the one with an atom cpu)
>
> turns out the ethernet is a new chip, for which a patch got posted to
> lkml 3 days or so ago (search for "L1E")

I was looking at the 900, as I thought the 901 is not yet available
(at least not here in NL). The 901 is still preloaded with Xandros?

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364

Old 07-20-2008, 08:13 PM
jeff

Jos Vos wrote:

Hi,

I'm investigating the issues that I can expect when I want to install
Fedora 9 on an ASUS EeePC 900.

I found some references, mainly referring to Fedora 8 and the EeePC 701,
and I found the Fedora Wiki page <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EeePc>,
that lists various issues.

Will the wired Ethernet still not work for installing F9, for example?

Any references to more detailed information are welcome.

Ethernet works with default fedora kernel with atl2 driver (well, with -libre
kernel, I presume fedora's too).

Wifi does not work, but just in the last week Nick Kossifidis got a driver
built which works (and I'm happily using):

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mickflemm/compat-wireless-2008-07-03-ath5k.tar.bz2

Note this ath5k driver does not depend on a binary HAL.

Yay Nick!

This did not build for me against kernel-libre-2.6.25.10-86.fc9.1.i686 packages
but did build and work with linux-2.6.26-libre1.tar.bz2.

The driver for the camera is uvcvideo and I think is available in stock fedora
kernel and hit linus in 2.6.26 iirc.

I just install it from an external USB drive. You should be able to pxeboot it too.

I have random notes, code, scripts etc here:

ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/developers/jebba/eee/
ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/developers/jebba/eee/FREEEEE.TXT

-Jeff

P.S. Now we just need EeePC coreboot v3

Old 08-04-2008, 04:43 AM
jeff

Jos Vos wrote:

Hi,

I'm investigating the issues that I can expect when I want to install
Fedora 9 on an ASUS EeePC 900.

I found some references, mainly referring to Fedora 8 and the EeePC 701,
and I found the Fedora Wiki page <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EeePc>,
that lists various issues.

Will the wired Ethernet still not work for installing F9, for example?

I have a kernel available for the ASUS EeePC 701 and 900. It supports all
hardware, including wifi (ath5k). It should work fine with fedora 9 systems.

See:
http://www.freeeee.org/i386/RPMS.FREEEEE/

Latest as of this email:
http://www.freeeee.org/i386/RPMS.FREEEEE/kernel-libre-2.6.25.14-106.1.freeeee.i686.rpm

-Jeff

Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Jos Vos

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 01:43:26AM -0300, jeff wrote:

> I have a kernel available for the ASUS EeePC 701 and 900. It supports all
> hardware, including wifi (ath5k). It should work fine with fedora 9 systems.

What are, except for the working ath5k, the differences with the latest
F9 update kernel?

AFAICS the latest F9 kernel also supports everything, except the wireless
card (the ath5k driver is loaded, but not functioning). I got that
working now with the latest madwifi driver (including latest HAL stuff,
the latest madwifi driver itself did not work).

Can we expect a standard F9 kernel with a working ath5k driver soon?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Philip Heron

jeff wrote:
I have a kernel available for the ASUS EeePC 701 and 900. It supports
all hardware, including wifi (ath5k). It should work fine with fedora 9
systems.

Hi Jeff,

Is there anything in your kernel that might improve the stability of the
intel video driver over the stock fedora kernel? I'm getting quite a lot
of hard lock-ups and random X restarts if I don't disable video
acceleration, but then playing video is impossible.

Everything else on my EeePC is working nicely.

-Phil

Old 08-04-2008, 12:51 PM
"Peter Robinson"

>> I have a kernel available for the ASUS EeePC 701 and 900. It supports all
>> hardware, including wifi (ath5k). It should work fine with fedora 9 systems.
>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Is there anything in your kernel that might improve the stability of the
> intel video driver over the stock fedora kernel? I'm getting quite a lot of
> hard lock-ups and random X restarts if I don't disable video acceleration,
> but then playing video is impossible.

Have you tried disabling FrameBufferCompression?

Peter

Old 08-04-2008, 01:26 PM
jeff

Philip Heron wrote:

jeff wrote:
I have a kernel available for the ASUS EeePC 701 and 900. It supports
all hardware, including wifi (ath5k). It should work fine with fedora
9 systems.

Hi Jeff,

Is there anything in your kernel that might improve the stability of the
intel video driver over the stock fedora kernel? I'm getting quite a lot
of hard lock-ups and random X restarts if I don't disable video
acceleration, but then playing video is impossible.

Nothing in particular over fedora's for that. I should note that this kernel
has quite a few driver modules disabled for things that would likely never
touch an eee. Selinux isn't compiled in either.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:38 PM
jeff

Jos Vos wrote:

I have a kernel available for the ASUS EeePC 701 and 900. It supports all
hardware, including wifi (ath5k). It should work fine with fedora 9 systems.

What are, except for the working ath5k, the differences with the latest
F9 update kernel?

Very stripped down config-i686. Not much else difference other than the
mickflemm patches. Oh, and using linux-libre as a base.

Latest SRPMS here:
http://www.blagblagblag.org/FREEEEE/source/SRPMS.FREEEEE/kernel-libre-2.6.25.14-106.2.freeeee.src.rpm

Old 08-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Philip Heron

Peter Robinson wrote:

Is there anything in your kernel that might improve the stability of the
intel video driver over the stock fedora kernel? I'm getting quite a lot of
hard lock-ups and random X restarts if I don't disable video acceleration,
but then playing video is impossible.

Have you tried disabling FrameBufferCompression?

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it last night but it didn't help.

Video played for about a minute, then the screen got corrupt and the
machine locked up.

-Phil