Old 07-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Martin Sourada

Default Another xulrunner breakage

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 11:05 +0000, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Summary of broken packages (by owner):
> martin.sourada AT gmail.com
> gxine-0.5.11-17.fc9.i386
> gxine-0.5.11-17.fc9.ppc
> gxine-0.5.11-17.fc9.ppc64
> gxine-0.5.11-17.fc9.x86_64

Already pending for stable update [1]. However looking at the
problematic deps it seems most of them are caused by recent update of
xulrunner. Again! First of all we should review whether all these
packages need to depend on precise version of gecko-libs, yesterday I
checked that gxine does not and removed the versioned deps.

Next, there should be some policy in pushing such updates for stable
releases. I mean, what is the point in releasing security update for
xulrunner while it cannot be installed due to tons of broken deps? We
have chain builds, we have support for multiple package updates, why has
xulrunner been rebuilt and pushed only with firefox,
epiphany(-extensions), yelp and devhelp [2], and without mentioning it
on the -devel(-announce) list?

Martin

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/pending/gxine-0.5.11-18.fc9
[2] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/FEDORA-2008-6518

Old 07-19-2008, 12:20 PM
drago01

2008/7/19 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 11:05 +0000, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> Summary of broken packages (by owner):
>> martin.sourada AT gmail.com
>> gxine-0.5.11-17.fc9.i386
>> gxine-0.5.11-17.fc9.ppc
>> gxine-0.5.11-17.fc9.ppc64
>> gxine-0.5.11-17.fc9.x86_64
>
> Already pending for stable update [1]. However looking at the
> problematic deps it seems most of them are caused by recent update of
> xulrunner. Again! First of all we should review whether all these
> packages need to depend on precise version of gecko-libs, yesterday I
> checked that gxine does not and removed the versioned deps.
>
> Next, there should be some policy in pushing such updates for stable
> releases. I mean, what is the point in releasing security update for
> xulrunner while it cannot be installed due to tons of broken deps? We
> have chain builds,
they only work in devel.

>we have support for multiple package updates, why has
> xulrunner been rebuilt and pushed only with firefox,
> epiphany(-extensions), yelp and devhelp [2], and without mentioning it
> on the -devel(-announce) list?

bodhi needs to do dep check before pushing updates.
If the updates have broken deps the push should fail.