Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Jarod Wilson

Default heads up: new libraw1394 so, stuff needs rebuildin'

On Friday 18 July 2008 04:59:32 pm Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Coming Real Soon Now to rawhide is a build of the final libraw1394 2.0.0,
> which includes a soname bump, which means a number of packages are going to
> need to be rebuild. A quick glance with repoquery suggests the list is
> limited to:
>
> unicap
> gstreamer-plugins-good
> coriander
> libfreebob
> pwlib
> kdebase
> kdebase3
> dvgrab
> libiec61883
> firecontrol
> libavc1394
>
> The last four are all my packages, so I'll take care of them. The rest I'd
> rather leave to their respective maintainers, but can take care of those as
> well, if so desired (just a simple version-bump and rebuild).
>
> Should I attempt to figure out the magic to do a fancy chainbuild, or just
> let rawhide be busted for a day?... (haha, like its not somehow busted most
> days anyway...

So I've been told that something like this should do the job:

1) bump and tag each of the above

2) from within one of the dependent package's devel branch (can be anything in
the list, just call it pkg11), do:

[jwilson@foo fedora-cvs/pkg11/devel]$ make chain-build CHAIN="libraw1394
pkg1 ... pkg10"

Unless someone objects, I'll probably just go ahead and do that this weekend,
rather than busticate rawhide even temporarily.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson@redhat.com

Old 07-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Kevin Kofler

Jarod Wilson <jwilson <at> redhat.com> writes:
> Unless someone objects, I'll probably just go ahead and do that this weekend,
> rather than busticate rawhide even temporarily.

kdebase and kdebase3 have closed ACLs. We'll take care of rebuilding them.

Kevin Kofler

Old 07-19-2008, 12:21 PM
drago01

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:33 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:
> Jarod Wilson <jwilson <at> redhat.com> writes:
>> Unless someone objects, I'll probably just go ahead and do that this weekend,
>> rather than busticate rawhide even temporarily.
>
> kdebase and kdebase3 have closed ACLs. We'll take care of rebuilding them.

is there a reason for that? (closed ACLs)

Old 07-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Konrad Meyer

Quoth drago01:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:33 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at>
wrote:
> > Jarod Wilson <jwilson <at> redhat.com> writes:
> >> Unless someone objects, I'll probably just go ahead and do that this
weekend,
> >> rather than busticate rawhide even temporarily.
> >
> > kdebase and kdebase3 have closed ACLs. We'll take care of rebuilding them.
>
> is there a reason for that? (closed ACLs)

KDE is a major system component and the KDE team (which is something like 6-8
people) does a very good job of fixing things as soon as they need fixing.

--
Conrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org>

Old 07-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Rex Dieter

drago01 wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:33 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at>
> wrote:
>> Jarod Wilson <jwilson <at> redhat.com> writes:
>>> Unless someone objects, I'll probably just go ahead and do that this
>>> weekend, rather than busticate rawhide even temporarily.
>>
>> kdebase and kdebase3 have closed ACLs. We'll take care of rebuilding
>> them.
>
> is there a reason for that? (closed ACLs)

for some of the core kde pkgs yes (kde dev platform bits), others not so much (auxilary or leaf packages, such as kdegames). I'll see if we can do something about that.

-- Rex

Old 07-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Bastien Nocera

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 16:59 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Coming Real Soon Now to rawhide is a build of the final libraw1394 2.0.0,
> which includes a soname bump, which means a number of packages are going to
> need to be rebuild. A quick glance with repoquery suggests the list is
> limited to:
>
> unicap
> gstreamer-plugins-good

If you can do the rebuild for that one, go for it.

Cheers

Old 07-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Quoth drago01:

wrote:

Jarod Wilson <jwilson <at> redhat.com> writes:
Unless someone objects, I'll probably just go ahead and do that this

weekend,

rather than busticate rawhide even temporarily.

kdebase and kdebase3 have closed ACLs. We'll take care of rebuilding them.

is there a reason for that? (closed ACLs)

KDE is a major system component and the KDE team (which is something like 6-8
people) does a very good job of fixing things as soon as they need fixing.

That's really not a good reason to keep them closed. Just because a team
is doing a good job doesn't mean that they should prevent others from
helping.

Rahul

Old 07-21-2008, 02:51 AM
Konrad Meyer

Quoth Rahul Sundaram:
> Konrad Meyer wrote:
> > Quoth drago01:
> > weekend,
> >> is there a reason for that? (closed ACLs)
> >
> > KDE is a major system component and the KDE team (which is something like
6-8
> > people) does a very good job of fixing things as soon as they need fixing.
>
> That's really not a good reason to keep them closed. Just because a team
> is doing a good job doesn't mean that they should prevent others from
> helping.
>
> Rahul

With something as large and complicated as kde, a dedicated team who
understands the package doesn't prevent others from helping, it prevents
others from making mistakes. See also the kernel.

--
Conrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org>

Old 07-21-2008, 03:00 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Konrad Meyer wrote:
With something as large and complicated as kde, a dedicated team who
understands the package doesn't prevent others from helping, it prevents
others from making mistakes. See also the kernel.

Everybody makes mistakes including the KDE team. I simply don't agree
with your premise that others cannot make reasonable (even trivial)
changes without making mistakes. KDE is also not at the same level as
kernel or glibc.

Rahul

Old 07-21-2008, 03:15 AM
"Jon Stanley"

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Everybody makes mistakes including the KDE team. I simply don't agree with
> your premise that others cannot make reasonable (even trivial) changes
> without making mistakes. KDE is also not at the same level as kernel or
> glibc.

Let's compare apples to apples and take the GNOME packages - the few I
spot checked (nautilus, gnome-desktop, gdm - all obviously critically
important to the default GNOME desktop) have open ACL's. I really
don't think the KDE team has ground to stand on here - sorry.