Old 07-17-2008, 08:07 PM
"Shawn Starr"

Default Some initial discussions of a Fedora HPC SIG

Hello everyone,

There is talk of creating a HPC SIG that will focus on making Fedora HPC/Grid/Cluster ready. It would be great to find out who in Fedora is interested in beginning some discussions.

Here's some of my own questions to add to the mix:

- How can we make Anaconda support different interconnects?

- How do we handle HPC/Grid needs which differ from traditional systems? Using puppet, others?
* Should we provide 'sane' defaults needed within a HPC environment out of the box?
* Addon packages to modify configurations of other packages?

- Which job submission/batch schedulers? more choice is better.

- Full OFED integration (Doug Ledford has been working on this)

- Provisioning: Multiple methods for provisioning?
* Cobbler, Spacewalk, other open source mechanisms?

- Packaging of HPC applications/libs
* Open MPI, MPICH1/MPICH2?, MVAPICH1/MVAPICH2?
* Directory structure - FHS
* Using environment-modules or alternatives to allow users to switch between different MPIs etc.

- Package Optimization
* A lot of people tend to want highly optimized packages such as ATLAS and usually will recompile them against their
new processors. Do we just settle on defaults, can't satisfy all people.

There are many more questions and getting some initial discussions going will be beneficial to Fedora.

--
Shawn Starr
Software Developer, Open Source Grid Development Center (OSGDC)

Old 07-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Christian Iseli

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:07:15 -0400, Shawn Starr wrote:
> There are many more questions and getting some initial discussions
> going will be beneficial to Fedora.

I'm interested in HPC. My nits to pick:
- hierarchical storage management
- petabyte storage management
- billions of files
- cluster file systems

Cheers,
Christian

Old 07-18-2008, 03:05 PM
"Shawn Starr"

Sounds good,

That makes four people so far.

If other people are interested, let's figure out the best way to keep the community informed. We can setup a Fedora meeting on IRC, but there's no formal SIG yet.

Thanks,
Shawn.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Ed Hill

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:05:45 -0400 "Shawn Starr" wrote:

> That makes four people so far.
>
> If other people are interested, let's figure out the best way to keep
> the community informed. We can setup a Fedora meeting on IRC, but
> there's no formal SIG yet.

Please count me in. I'm very interested in Fedora for scientific
computing and HPC purposes and have used it to build a number of
small to mid-sized clusters.

And, as much as free time allows, I'd like to see Fedora improve for
cluster builders, users, etc...

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD | ed@eh3.com | http://eh3.com/

Old 07-20-2008, 04:17 AM
"Fabio M. Di Nitto"

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 23:05 +0200, Christian Iseli wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:07:15 -0400, Shawn Starr wrote:
> > There are many more questions and getting some initial discussions
> > going will be beneficial to Fedora.
>
> I'm interested in HPC. My nits to pick:
> - hierarchical storage management
> - petabyte storage management
> - billions of files
> - cluster file systems

I maintain a few packages related to cluster filesystems (cman/gfs etc)
and I'd be happy to work with you guys if there are changes in my
packages required to make your life simpler.

Fabio

Old 08-29-2008, 04:44 PM
"Shawn Starr"

Hello everyone,

It would be great if we can kick off the SIG.

1) Which day and time would be good for the meetings in #fedora-meeting

The available times are here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/FedoraMeetingChannel

2) Let's come up with an initial agenda.

Thanks,

Old 09-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Doug Ledford

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 09:44 -0700, Shawn Starr wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> It would be great if we can kick off the SIG.
>
> 1) Which day and time would be good for the meetings in #fedora-meeting
>
> The available times are here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/FedoraMeetingChannel

I'm free most days after about 14:00 or 15:00UTC.

> 2) Let's come up with an initial agenda.

Defining what should be in a reasonably complete HPC Comps group
Define a complete component list
Pick which of those components should be default vs. optional
Identify packages not yet in Fedora that are on the list and
allow people to sign up to get them through a review process
and in Fedora
Identify any shortcomings in upstream standards for HPC
packages (there's a lot here, eg. the upstream MPI groups
don't have the faintest clue on how to get together and
create a standard installation layout or anything else)
Where upstream has no clue about doing things in a standard
way, at least work to create one inside the framework
of Fedora and attempt to push it to upstream if they are
receptive of the idea.
Identify packages in Fedora that need updating/changing to
meet said standards
Allow people to sign up to work those changes if the package
maintainer is unable to do so

Something along those lines ought to get things started.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at

Old 09-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Orion Poplawski

Doug Ledford wrote:

It would be great if we can kick off the SIG.

1) Which day and time would be good for the meetings in #fedora-meeting

The available times are here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/FedoraMeetingChannel

I'm free most days after about 14:00 or 15:00UTC.

Mon-Fri 15-18, 19-23 best for me.

[...]

Looks good to me.

I haven't indicated my interest before, but I am. I maintain
gridengine, paraview, hdf5, gdl and some others.

--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222