Old 07-14-2008, 01:37 AM
David Farning

Default Fedora, OLPC, and Sugar Labs

I just want to let those of you who do not follow political intrigue
know that OLPC is spinning off the development of Sugar to Sugar Labs
[1].

Once we get things untangled, we hope that Sugar development can be more
responsive to the needs of other distributions such as Fedora and
Redhat.

If you have any questions or comments about Sugar or Sugar Labs please
feel free to ask on the Sugar development mailing list [2] or contact
me personally [3].

thanks
dfarning

1. http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Main_Page
2. sugar@laptop.org
3. dfarning@sugarlabs.org

Old 07-14-2008, 06:27 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 5:37 PM, David Farning <dfarning@sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> I just want to let those of you who do not follow political intrigue
> know that OLPC is spinning off the development of Sugar to Sugar Labs
> [1].
>
> Once we get things untangled, we hope that Sugar development can be more
> responsive to the needs of other distributions such as Fedora and
> Redhat.
>
> If you have any questions or comments about Sugar or Sugar Labs please
> feel free to ask on the Sugar development mailing list [2] or contact
> me personally [3].

I'm sort of following it.

Here's the thing... sadly I don't have as much time as I would like to
even start helping with this in a more direct way.

My really big question is what can we do to get the people actually
using the Sugar interface?
And not just the target audience for olpc..but we need to get older
people using the interface as well, people we can get involved in the
development process via bug reports and patches. I think it really
comes down to being able to provide an alternative Sugar desktop that
our Fedora users can live and work inside of.

Locally I'm in contact with some teachers who are basically sitting on
a pile of slightly dated surplus Dell desktops that the military gave
away. Some have been put in use, but there's still a pile of them. I'd
like to take a few of them and make a Sugar lab, but I'm not really
sure how I can do that from a policy standpoint. I can't just walk
into the school system and setup a lab. I could try to set one up here
at the university but I doubt anyone would really touch it. I'm just
not sure how to make effective use of the resource, even if I got my
hands on a few of those computers.

-jef

Old 07-14-2008, 08:04 PM
chasd