-   -   No login after KDE 4.0.98 rawhide update (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/123790-no-login-after-kde-4-0-98-rawhide-update.html)

Kevin Kofler 07-13-2008 12:45 AM

Siddharth Upmanyu <siddharth <at> techbugs.org> writes:
> "Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation"
>
> how to fix this?

Wait for tomorrow's Rawhide or fetch the fixed build from Koji.

Kevin Kofler

"darrell pfeifer" 07-13-2008 12:57 AM

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 17:45, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:

Siddharth Upmanyu <siddharth <at> techbugs.org> writes:

> "Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation"

> how to fix this?

Wait for tomorrow's Rawhide or fetch the fixed build from Koji.

One more question, if you don't mind.

My KDE won't start because it can't talk to dbus. I've googled but can't find the magic that allows it to start.

Since others in rawhide don't seem to be having the problem, I'm assuming it is specific to when I happened to upgrade/install it.

thanks...

darrell

Kevin Kofler 07-13-2008 01:01 AM

darrell pfeifer <darrellpf <at> gmail.com> writes:
> One more question, if you don't mind.
> My KDE won't start because it can't talk to dbus.

How exactly are you starting KDE? Through KDM? GDM? Some other display manager?
Old-fashioned startx?

Kevin Kofler

"darrell pfeifer" 07-13-2008 01:06 AM

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 18:01, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:

darrell pfeifer <darrellpf <at> gmail.com> writes:

> One more question, if you don't mind.

> My KDE won't start because it can't talk to dbus.

How exactly are you starting KDE? Through KDM? GDM? Some other display manager?

Old-fashioned startx?

I've been selecting it through gdm.

That worked for the original 4.0 release in rawhide, then it broke at some point with one of the subsequent upgrades.

*

"Siddharth Upmanyu" 07-13-2008 01:32 AM

2008/7/13 darrell pfeifer <darrellpf@gmail.com>:

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 17:45, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:
>>
>> Siddharth Upmanyu <siddharth <at> techbugs.org> writes:
>> > "Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation"
>> >
>> > how to fix this?
>>
>> Wait for tomorrow's Rawhide or fetch the fixed build from Koji.
>> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=712168
>>

> One more question, if you don't mind.
>
> My KDE won't start because it can't talk to dbus. I've googled but can't
> find the magic that allows it to start.
>
> Since others in rawhide don't seem to be having the problem, I'm assuming it
> is specific to when I happened to upgrade/install it.

:-) big assumption... i dont think rawhide is supposed to work (just-work)
i cant launch dolphin after logging in (if you wanted to know)

Christopher Aillon 07-14-2008 06:22 PM

Siddharth Upmanyu wrote:

:-) big assumption... i dont think rawhide is supposed to work (just-work)
i cant launch dolphin after logging in (if you wanted to know)

Rawhide is supposed to work. The point of rawhide is to get feedback on
items before we release. If rawhide doesn't work, that makes it rather
difficult to get feedback. Which is the problem we hit frequently. I'm
pretty annoyed that many people seem to treat rawhide as a dumping ground.

Kevin Kofler 07-14-2008 07:45 PM

Christopher Aillon <caillon <at> redhat.com> writes:
> Rawhide is supposed to work. The point of rawhide is to get feedback on
> items before we release. If rawhide doesn't work, that makes it rather
> difficult to get feedback. Which is the problem we hit frequently. I'm
> pretty annoyed that many people seem to treat rawhide as a dumping ground.

You probably didn't mean to imply that anyway, but (just so people don't get
the wrong impression) I want to make clear that KDE SIG is _not_ treating
Rawhide as a dumping ground. On the contrary, KDE 4.1 is now in RC state and we
are planning to push it as an update for Fedora 9 in 2 to 4 weeks (because it
fixes many bugs in KDE 4.0 and readds some features which were lost in the
3.5->4.0 transition), so it is expected to fully work!

Kevin Kofler

Christopher Aillon 07-14-2008 08:22 PM

Kevin Kofler wrote:

Christopher Aillon <caillon <at> redhat.com> writes:
Rawhide is supposed to work. The point of rawhide is to get feedback on
items before we release. If rawhide doesn't work, that makes it rather
difficult to get feedback. Which is the problem we hit frequently. I'm
pretty annoyed that many people seem to treat rawhide as a dumping ground.

You probably didn't mean to imply that anyway, but (just so people don't get
the wrong impression) I want to make clear that KDE SIG is _not_ treating
Rawhide as a dumping ground. On the contrary, KDE 4.1 is now in RC state and we
are planning to push it as an update for Fedora 9 in 2 to 4 weeks (because it
fixes many bugs in KDE 4.0 and readds some features which were lost in the
3.5->4.0 transition), so it is expected to fully work!

Right, I wasn't targeting KDE specifically. It was more of a general
statement that there are still a non-zero amount of people who treat
rawhide as such, and we need to fix that.

Jesse Keating 07-14-2008 08:28 PM

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 16:22 -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Right, I wasn't targeting KDE specifically. It was more of a general
> statement that there are still a non-zero amount of people who treat
> rawhide as such, and we need to fix that.

Hell, there is a non-zero amount of people who treat the release
branches like that too, and that /really/ needs to stop.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedomē is a feature!