Old 07-12-2008, 02:08 PM
"Peter Lemenkov"

Default How to handle soname bump properly?

Hello All!

Consider, we got library libfoo and dependent utility bar.

If I updated library libfoo (successfully built with soname increased,
and ready to hit updates-testing via Bodhi), then how should I udate
bar?

If I rebuild bar, then against what version of libfoo it will be
rebuilt? Against old one or against new, which still not submitted to
updates-testing (to avoid unresolved dependencies).

After brief looking into fedora-wiki, I found nothing valuable
matching this topic.

--
With best regards!

Old 07-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Todd Zullinger

Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> Consider, we got library libfoo and dependent utility bar.
>
> If I updated library libfoo (successfully built with soname
> increased, and ready to hit updates-testing via Bodhi), then how
> should I udate bar?

This is something that requires some help from rel-eng. You would
build libfoo and then mail rel-eng@fedoraproject.org asking for a
build root override for libfoo (providing the full n-e-v-r or cvs tag
for the libfoo build you want to be in the build root) and often some
brief justification for the request (like, "I need this to build bar
against in order to fix outstanding bugs").

They sprinkle some pixie dust and let you know when it's done. Then
you can build bar against the new libfoo and push both of them as a
single update to updates-testing via bodhi.

(Of course, you should already have done some testing of this in
rawhide and locally for the affected stable release and thought hard
about whether a soname bump in the stable release warranted -- that
the benefits of the bump outweigh the drawbacks.)

> If I rebuild bar, then against what version of libfoo it will be
> rebuilt? Against old one or against new, which still not submitted to
> updates-testing (to avoid unresolved dependencies).

It would be built against the older version, which is obviously not
what you want.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:30 PM
"Peter Lemenkov"

2008/7/12, Todd Zullinger <tmz@pobox.com>:
> Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> > Consider, we got library libfoo and dependent utility bar.
> >
> > If I updated library libfoo (successfully built with soname
> > increased, and ready to hit updates-testing via Bodhi), then how
> > should I udate bar?

> This is something that requires some help from rel-eng. You would
> build libfoo and then mail rel-eng@fedoraproject.org asking for a
> build root override for libfoo (providing the full n-e-v-r or cvs tag
> for the libfoo build you want to be in the build root) and often some
> brief justification for the request (like, "I need this to build bar
> against in order to fix outstanding bugs").
>
> They sprinkle some pixie dust and let you know when it's done. Then
> you can build bar against the new libfoo and push both of them as a
> single update to updates-testing via bodhi.
>
> (Of course, you should already have done some testing of this in
> rawhide and locally for the affected stable release and thought hard
> about whether a soname bump in the stable release warranted -- that
> the benefits of the bump outweigh the drawbacks.)

Thanks!
Do you mind if I grab your post (partially) and bury it in Swamps of
Fedora-Wiki?

--
With best regards!

Old 07-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Alex Lancaster

PL> 2008/7/12, Todd Zullinger <tmz@pobox.com>:
>> Peter Lemenkov wrote:
>> > Consider, we got library libfoo and dependent utility bar.
>> >
>> > If I updated library libfoo (successfully built with soname >
>> increased, and ready to hit updates-testing via Bodhi), then how >
>> should I udate bar?

>> This is something that requires some help from rel-eng. You would
>> build libfoo and then mail rel-eng@fedoraproject.org asking for a
>> build root override for libfoo (providing the full n-e-v-r or cvs
>> tag for the libfoo build you want to be in the build root) and
>> often some brief justification for the request (like, "I need this
>> to build bar against in order to fix outstanding bugs").
>>
>> They sprinkle some pixie dust and let you know when it's done.
>> Then you can build bar against the new libfoo and push both of them
>> as a single update to updates-testing via bodhi.
>>
>> (Of course, you should already have done some testing of this in
>> rawhide and locally for the affected stable release and thought
>> hard about whether a soname bump in the stable release warranted --
>> that the benefits of the bump outweigh the drawbacks.)

PL> Thanks! Do you mind if I grab your post (partially) and bury it
PL> in Swamps of Fedora-Wiki?

It is already documented:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/SOP/BuildRootOverrides

although that page is buried in a somewhat obscure place that a casual
package maintainer would probably not know to look there.

It should probably linked from somewhere in the PackageMaintainers
namespace with a higher-level explanation like the text above. This
kind of thing might be useful for the PackageMaintainers Tips/Tricks
page which I can't seem to locate the URL for right now (it isn't
linked from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers)

As Todd said, you should request the buildroot override *before* you
push any packages to updates-testing so you can do them as a single
update. That way prevents broken deps which should be discouraged
even in updates-testing.

Alex

Old 07-13-2008, 03:19 AM
"Jesse Keating"

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Alex Lancaster <alexl@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

PL> 2008/7/12, Todd Zullinger <tmz@pobox.com>:

>> Peter Lemenkov wrote:

>> > Consider, we got library libfoo and dependent utility bar.

>> > If I updated library libfoo (successfully built with soname >

>> increased, and ready to hit updates-testing via Bodhi), then how >

>> should I udate bar?

>> This is something that requires some help from rel-eng. *You would

>> build libfoo and then mail rel-eng@fedoraproject.org asking for a

>> build root override for libfoo (providing the full n-e-v-r or cvs

>> tag for the libfoo build you want to be in the build root) and

>> often some brief justification for the request (like, "I need this

>> to build bar against in order to fix outstanding bugs").

>> They sprinkle some pixie dust and let you know when it's done.

>> Then you can build bar against the new libfoo and push both of them

>> as a single update to updates-testing via bodhi.

>> (Of course, you should already have done some testing of this in

>> rawhide and locally for the affected stable release and thought

>> hard about whether a soname bump in the stable release warranted --

>> that the benefits of the bump outweigh the drawbacks.)

PL> Thanks! *Do you mind if I grab your post (partially) and bury it

PL> in Swamps of Fedora-Wiki?

It is already documented:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/SOP/BuildRootOverrides

although that page is buried in a somewhat obscure place that a casual

package maintainer would probably not know to look there.
That's because it's a document for release engineers to use when they actually process the tagging request.* It's not necessarily meant for maintainers to use, that little bit of documentation has definitely been missing for a while.

*

It should probably linked from somewhere in the PackageMaintainers

namespace with a higher-level explanation like the text above. *This

kind of thing might be useful for the PackageMaintainers Tips/Tricks

page which I can't seem to locate the URL for right now (it isn't

linked from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers)
All it takes is somebody to make it happen (:
*
--

Jes

Old 07-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Alex Lancaster

[...]

>> It is already documented:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/SOP/BuildRootOverrides
>> although that page is buried in a somewhat obscure place that a
>> casual package maintainer would probably not know to look there.

JK> That's because it's a document for release engineers to use when
JK> they actually process the tagging request. It's not necessarily
JK> meant for maintainers to use, that little bit of documentation has
JK> definitely been missing for a while.

Sure, I was just pointing it out.

>> It should probably linked from somewhere in the PackageMaintainers
>> namespace with a higher-level explanation like the text above.
>> This kind of thing might be useful for the PackageMaintainers
>> Tips/Tricks page which I can't seem to locate the URL for right now
>> (it isn't linked from
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers)

JK> All it takes is somebody to make it happen (:

Indeed, I think that's what Peter was volunteering to do. I was
giving him some background that might be helpful when writing the text
and/or figuring out where to put it. If needed I can assist in that.

Alex