Old 07-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Nikolay Ulyanitsky

Default Source rpms for RHEL Supplementary CD java packages

Hi

Are source rpm packages (or spec files + patches without source files)
for binary java packages from RHEL Supplementary CD (v. 5 for 32-bit
x86) (rhel-5.2-server-supplementary-i386-disc1.iso) available for free
download?

Some java packages from RHEL Supplementary CD (v. 5 for 32-bit x86):
java-1.4.2-*.rpm
java-1.5.0-*.rpm
java-1.6.0-*.rpm

These packages differ with packages from jpackage.org.

--
Nikolay Ulyanitsky <lystor@lystor.org.ua>

Old 07-12-2008, 01:17 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 11:33 +0300, Nikolay Ulyanitsky wrote:
> Hi
>
> Are source rpm packages (or spec files + patches without source files)
> for binary java packages from RHEL Supplementary CD (v. 5 for 32-bit
> x86) (rhel-5.2-server-supplementary-i386-disc1.iso) available for free
> download?
>
> Some java packages from RHEL Supplementary CD (v. 5 for 32-bit x86):
> java-1.4.2-*.rpm
> java-1.5.0-*.rpm
> java-1.6.0-*.rpm

It's way off topic for this list, but I think those are the packaged
version of the IBM and Sun JREs, for which no source is available.

~spot

Old 07-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Jos Vos

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 09:17:55AM -0400, Tom spot Callaway wrote:

> It's way off topic for this list, but I think those are the packaged
> version of the IBM and Sun JREs, for which no source is available.

He was asking for nosrc.rpm's. It would be nice of RH would provide
the nosrc.rpm's for the non-free additional packages.

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364

Old 07-12-2008, 08:11 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 09:17:55AM -0400, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
>
>> It's way off topic for this list, but I think those are the packaged
>> version of the IBM and Sun JREs, for which no source is available.
>
> He was asking for nosrc.rpm's. It would be nice of RH would provide
> the nosrc.rpm's for the non-free additional packages.

In the old days, the upstreams just handed RH the .rpms but that might
have changed in the last 8 years

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 07-12-2008, 08:34 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 21:44 +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 09:17:55AM -0400, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
>
> > It's way off topic for this list, but I think those are the packaged
> > version of the IBM and Sun JREs, for which no source is available.
>
> He was asking for nosrc.rpm's. It would be nice of RH would provide
> the nosrc.rpm's for the non-free additional packages.

I honestly have no visibility into that process, but it shouldn't be
much different from downloading whatever is available on Sun or IBM's
website.

~spot

Old 07-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Nikolay Ulyanitsky

> I honestly have no visibility into that process, but it shouldn't be
> much different from downloading whatever is available on Sun or IBM's
> website.

I think the base of java binary packages from RHEL Supplementary CD are
nosrc.rpms from jpackage.org (packages have many common entries in
changelogs).

But RHEL java packages have additional bug fixes which are absent in
jpackage.org (information from changelogs).

Installing original Java packages from Sun or IBM is not recommended
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaFAQ), because they do not support
alternatives and installed to non-standard locations in file system.

--
Nikolay Ulyanitsky <lystor@lystor.org.ua>

Old 07-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Les Mikesell

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

It's way off topic for this list, but I think those are the packaged
version of the IBM and Sun JREs, for which no source is available.

He was asking for nosrc.rpm's. It would be nice of RH would provide
the nosrc.rpm's for the non-free additional packages.

I honestly have no visibility into that process, but it shouldn't be
much different from downloading whatever is available on Sun or IBM's
website.

Sun's binary and RPM packages don't mesh with the alternatives system
that fedora/RH use.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com