Old 07-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Panu Matilainen

Default New RPM has landed...

Ok then... rpm-4.5.90-0.git8426.5 finished building into rawhide a while
ago just before maintenance outage (nice timing with the outage . Please
pay extra attention to build results and once it actually hits public
rawhide, any oddities in installation/updates etc.

Oh and for now, please refrain from using the new spec features in Fedora
to minimize the fuss in case disaster strikes and we need to go back to
rpm 4.4.x. The new rpm is on probation for a while Please do test and
use the new things as much as possible in private, just not yet in Fedora
CVS. A further notification will be sent when the probation is over.

- Panu -

Old 07-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Jon Masters

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 20:25 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> Ok then... rpm-4.5.90-0.git8426.5 finished building into rawhide a while
> ago just before maintenance outage (nice timing with the outage . Please
> pay extra attention to build results and once it actually hits public
> rawhide, any oddities in installation/updates etc.
>
> Oh and for now, please refrain from using the new spec features in Fedora
> to minimize the fuss in case disaster strikes and we need to go back to
> rpm 4.4.x. The new rpm is on probation for a while Please do test and
> use the new things as much as possible in private, just not yet in Fedora
> CVS. A further notification will be sent when the probation is over.

Nice. We should sync up redhat-rpm-config with any macros updates you'd
like to pull in at the same time.

Jon.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:36 PM
"Jon Stanley"

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@redhat.com> wrote:

> Oh and for now, please refrain from using the new spec features in Fedora to
> minimize the fuss in case disaster strikes and we need to go back to rpm
> 4.4.x. The new rpm is on probation for a while

Would it not be on "probation" until we have no more rpm 4.4.x-based
releases to maintain (i.e. F8 and F9)?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Jon Stanley wrote:

Oh and for now, please refrain from using the new spec features in Fedora to
minimize the fuss in case disaster strikes and we need to go back to rpm
4.4.x. The new rpm is on probation for a while

Would it not be on "probation" until we have no more rpm 4.4.x-based
releases to maintain (i.e. F8 and F9)?

Well, then what about EPEL?

Rahul

Old 07-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Bill Nottingham

Jon Stanley (jonstanley@gmail.com) said:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Oh and for now, please refrain from using the new spec features in Fedora to
> > minimize the fuss in case disaster strikes and we need to go back to rpm
> > 4.4.x. The new rpm is on probation for a while
>
> Would it not be on "probation" until we have no more rpm 4.4.x-based
> releases to maintain (i.e. F8 and F9)?

specs don't *need* to be portable across branches. But we don't want to
have to undo things to make the devel branch build if we go back.

Bill

Old 07-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Jason L Tibbitts III

JS> Would it not be on "probation" until we have no more rpm
JS> 4.4.x-based releases to maintain (i.e. F8 and F9)?

Well, if you intend a package only for rawhide (and later, only for
rawhide and F10) then you could use the new features if you wanted.
And then EPEL makes things interesting, because if you want a spec to
be portable to EPEL you have to forego using anything new for the
better part of a decade.

- J<

Old 07-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Jonathan Dieter

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 20:25 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> Ok then... rpm-4.5.90-0.git8426.5 finished building into rawhide a while
> ago just before maintenance outage (nice timing with the outage . Please
> pay extra attention to build results and once it actually hits public
> rawhide, any oddities in installation/updates etc.
>
> Oh and for now, please refrain from using the new spec features in Fedora
> to minimize the fuss in case disaster strikes and we need to go back to
> rpm 4.4.x. The new rpm is on probation for a while Please do test and
> use the new things as much as possible in private, just not yet in Fedora
> CVS. A further notification will be sent when the probation is over.

As the maintainer for deltarpm, should I push a rebuild against the new
rpm?

Jonathan

Old 07-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Josh Boyer

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 13:10 -0700, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 20:25 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > Ok then... rpm-4.5.90-0.git8426.5 finished building into rawhide a while
> > ago just before maintenance outage (nice timing with the outage . Please
> > pay extra attention to build results and once it actually hits public
> > rawhide, any oddities in installation/updates etc.
> >
> > Oh and for now, please refrain from using the new spec features in Fedora
> > to minimize the fuss in case disaster strikes and we need to go back to
> > rpm 4.4.x. The new rpm is on probation for a while Please do test and
> > use the new things as much as possible in private, just not yet in Fedora
> > CVS. A further notification will be sent when the probation is over.
>
> As the maintainer for deltarpm, should I push a rebuild against the new
> rpm?

No, not yet anyway. The updated rpm has been untagged because it blows
up in the buildsys.

josh