Old 07-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Brian Pepple

Default FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-07-10

=== Members Present ===
* Brian Pepple (bpepple)
* Jason Tibbitts (tibbs)
* Bill Nottingham (notting)
* Kevin Fenzi (nirik)
* Dennis Gilmore (dgilmore)
* Warren Togami (warren)
* David Woodhouse (dwmw2)
* Jesse Keating (f13)
* Josh Boyer (jwb)
* Tom Callaway (spot)

=== Members Absent ===
* Christopher Aillon (caillon)
* Christian Iseli (c4chris)
* Jeremy Katz (jeremy)

== Summary ==
=== Secondary Arches ===
* FESCo asked to be contacted before a secondary arch is released, so
that a brief sanity check can be made before any announcement.

=== Approvals for cvsadmin ===
* FESCo approved a proposal to allow the current admins of the cvsadmin
group be the body that approves new members.

=== F10 Features ===
* FESCo approved the following Features for F10:
** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GoodHaskellSupport
** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Fingerprint
** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RPM4.6

=== F10 Schedule ===
* FESCo approved the schedule for Fedora 10 presented by Release
Engineering.
** http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-10/f-10-all-tasks.html

=== Misc ===
* Spot mentioned that he will be purging any package under the Artistic
1.0 license only from Fedora before the Alpha. He will send out an
e-mail to the list before this is done.
* Fedora Packaging Committee (FPC) voted not to permit packages putting
files under /srv. Spot will work with maintainers to resolve this
before F10.

IRC log can be found at:
http://bpepple.fedorapeople.org/fesco/FESCo-2008-07-10.html

Later,
/B

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bpepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E

Old 07-11-2008, 04:21 AM
John Poelstra

* FESCo asked to be contacted before a secondary arch is released, so
that a brief sanity check can be made before any announcement.

=== Approvals for cvsadmin ===
* FESCo approved a proposal to allow the current admins of the cvsadmin
group be the body that approves new members.

=== F10 Features ===
* FESCo approved the following Features for F10:
** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GoodHaskellSupport
** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Fingerprint
** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RPM4.6

Can the minutes also state in the future a FULL record of the feature
discussion including features that were NOT accepted? We wouldn't want
the "rubber stamp contingent" to be working with bad information ;-)

Today was a great example of what DID happen during the Fedora 9 feature
cycle... good technical discussion surrounding the integration of
different features. TWO features pages were deemed to be incomplete and
in need of more information and as a result not accepted.

John

Old 07-11-2008, 06:18 AM
Kevin Kofler

Brian Pepple <bpepple <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Fingerprint

>From the log:
<tibbs> It's still going to block on libusb.

Actually, there is already a libusb1 package in Rawhide. libusb 0.1 and 1.0 are
fully parallel-installable, you might even get away with linking both into the
same program (the functions have been renamed). There's a compat-libusb-0.1
provided with libusb 1.0 which implements the old API in terms of the new one,
but the original libusb 0.1 can also be used.

Kevin Kofler

Old 07-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Panu Matilainen

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Brian Pepple wrote:
[...]

=== F10 Features ===
* FESCo approved the following Features for F10:

[...]

** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RPM4.6

Wohoo

Thank you FESCo for accepting it on such an extremely short notice!

- Panu -

Old 07-11-2008, 02:50 PM
"Yaakov Nemoy"

2008/7/11 Brian Pepple <bpepple@fedoraproject.org>:
<snip>
> === F10 Features ===
> * FESCo approved the following Features for F10:
> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GoodHaskellSupport
<snip>

The logs show questions about whether this is a feature or not. Being
able to support a programming language and environment is definitely a
feature. Being able to claim that we have the most up to date Python
or Perl, compared to say Debian Stable is definitely a feature we
gain.

In this case, we've supported Haskell for a while, and the people
involved have done a great job. The "Feature" is to provide much
better library support so that we have a real platform for it. Once
the guidelines are accepted, we can start including a wide variety of
libraries.

-Yaakov

Old 07-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Josh Boyer

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 16:50 +0200, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> 2008/7/11 Brian Pepple <bpepple@fedoraproject.org>:
> <snip>
> > === F10 Features ===
> > * FESCo approved the following Features for F10:
> > ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GoodHaskellSupport
> <snip>
>
> The logs show questions about whether this is a feature or not. Being
> able to support a programming language and environment is definitely a
> feature.

Which is why we approved it. There was nothing that conclusively showed
it _wasn't_ a Feature.

For things like "Good Haskell Support", or "Better Bluetooth Support",
or "The Best-est Erlang Support in the Universe!" (ok, I made that up)
we at times question if there is really enough to promote it as a
Feature. They are somewhat generic and nebulous by nature, so it's
natural to question how visible that Feature can be and therefore if
it's really a Feature. Inevitably though, we come back and approve it
because there really isn't reason not to, and the publicity it generates
is a good thing.

josh

Old 07-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Brian Pepple

=== Members Present ===
* Brian Pepple (bpepple)
* Bill Nottingham (notting)
* Kevin Fenzi (nirik)
* David Woodhouse (dwmw2)
* Josh Boyer (jwb)
* Karsten Hopp (kick_)
* Jon Stanley (jds2001)
* Jarod Wilson (j-rod)

=== Absent ===
* Dennis Gilmore (dgilmore)

== Summary ==
=== New Date & Time for FESCo Meetings ===
* FESCo has moved when they will have their meetings. They will occur
every Wednesday on the FreeNode IRC network in #fedora-meeting at 18:00
UTC.

=== FESCo Chairperson ===
* bpepple was chosen to be chairperson.

=== New Package Maintainer Sponsor ===
* FESCo approved Jon Ciesla's request to be made a sponsor.

=== Features ===
* FESCo approved the following features for F10:
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GlitchFreeAudio
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/OpenChange
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SecurityAudit
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterLIRCSupport
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Artistic1Removal
* FESCo held off on approving the Latency Policy(1) feature, since they
had some questions regarding it.
* FESCo voted against making the Nodoka Notification Theme(2) a feature,
since they felt it didn't meet the criteria(3) of being a new feature.

1. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/LatencyPolicy
2. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NodokaNotificationTheme
3. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy/Definitions

IRC log can be found at:
http://bpepple.fedorapeople.org/fesco/FESCo-2008-07-24.html

Old 07-25-2008, 03:19 AM
John Poelstra

Brian Pepple wrote:

[...]

Bravo on the new summary format! I really like it

John