Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 PM
David Timms

Default OLPC & package dependency growth - RFE!

seth vidal wrote:

as we discussed in jabber - I've changed:
http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/installed-size.py

Cool, really fast and informative.

1. Could you add the sum total at the end ?

2. candidate for split:
16026876 fedora-release-notes.noarch
perhaps into raw html, and css/images ?

3. I mentioned to some list a while ago that Fedora install for default
/ minimal F9 got to about 650 out 950 packages before it actually
installed the kernel. It was suggested that this could be due to needing
to get tools to build initrd to be present before the kernel install
could occur. The output of this tool with kernel as argument suggests
only about 80 packages are needed to solve deps. Is this realistic ?

4. Actually could you add the package count as well ?

5. Is the list ordered ie are things further up the list items that are
{in general} needed by things further down the list ?

Old 07-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 07:30 +1000, David Timms wrote:
> 2. candidate for split:
> 16026876 fedora-release-notes.noarch
> perhaps into raw html, and css/images ?

What actually gets gained by splitting it? The majority of the size is
actually the various forms of the release notes + translations

> 3. I mentioned to some list a while ago that Fedora install for default
> / minimal F9 got to about 650 out 950 packages before it actually
> installed the kernel. It was suggested that this could be due to needing
> to get tools to build initrd to be present before the kernel install
> could occur. The output of this tool with kernel as argument suggests
> only about 80 packages are needed to solve deps. Is this realistic ?

That sounds plausible for just the kernel, but the ordering algorithm
used is a bit more complex. See rpm/lib/depends.c:rpmtsOrder() if you
want all of the grotty details. We don't do transaction splitting and
if we're to do it, it needs to be done in a more general fashion rather
than special-casing the kernel.

Jeremy

Old 07-11-2008, 02:32 PM
seth vidal

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 07:30 +1000, David Timms wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > as we discussed in jabber - I've changed:
> > http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/installed-size.py
> Cool, really fast and informative.
>
> 1. Could you add the sum total at the end ?

This is why I modified it to output size name.arch

so you can use sort/uniq/etc to do whatever changes you want. You can
even do fun things like import them into a spreadsheet and produce
graphs or something equally ridiculous.

> 4. Actually could you add the package count as well ?

wc -l

> 5. Is the list ordered ie are things further up the list items that are
> {in general} needed by things further down the list ?

sort -k1 -n

If we have a firmer idea of the specific stats we're looking for it
would make it easier, I think.

-sv