Old 07-08-2008, 07:55 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

Default Fedora, meet OLPC. OLPC, meet Fedora.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk@redhat.com> wrote:
> These packages are either unavailable in Fedora, or are currently being
> maintained, poorly, by overworked OLPC engineers who can't invest enough
> time to do them justice. There are lots of simple issues that even novice
> packagers could handle. Missing or broken dependencies. Creation of
> dead-simple activity packages. And so on.

I think we need an overriding goal. Can we get a Fedora Sugar Desktop
Spin for standard pc hardware on the map and a SIG organized around
that effort? Would that put the right people together in the same
headspace to start working on packaging activities?

-jef

Old 07-08-2008, 08:01 PM
"Peter Robinson"

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk@redhat.com> wrote:
>> These packages are either unavailable in Fedora, or are currently being
>> maintained, poorly, by overworked OLPC engineers who can't invest enough
>> time to do them justice. There are lots of simple issues that even novice
>> packagers could handle. Missing or broken dependencies. Creation of
>> dead-simple activity packages. And so on.
>
> I think we need an overriding goal. Can we get a Fedora Sugar Desktop
> Spin for standard pc hardware on the map and a SIG organized around
> that effort? Would that put the right people together in the same
> headspace to start working on packaging activities?

A SIG wiki page in general would be good with things like a kickstart
file to build the client version and the server version. It would
allow easy testing for things like depedency creep for core packages
and the like.

Peter

Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 PM
"Colin Walters"