Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
"lakshmi pathi"

Default Do we have Deep Freeze/Clean Slate like tool?

Hi all,
Recently i came across Deep Freeze/Clean slate in a linux forum.Do we
have open source alternative to these tools?
Is that really helpful tool for linux user? Please share your thoughts.

Cheers,
Lakshmipathi.G
My projects:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/giis
http://sourceforge.net/projects/exthide
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext3crave

Old 07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Kevin Kofler

lakshmi pathi <lakshmipathi.g <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Recently i came across Deep Freeze/Clean slate in a linux forum.Do we
> have open source alternative to these tools?

Boot from a live CD or from a USB key without a persistency overlay to get
exactly that effect. You can also use the same setup (I believe it's unionfs
with ramfs) on a HDD.

Kevin Kofler

Old 07-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 19:52:51 +0530,
lakshmi pathi <lakshmipathi.g@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Recently i came across Deep Freeze/Clean slate in a linux forum.Do we
> have open source alternative to these tools?
> Is that really helpful tool for linux user? Please share your thoughts.

Have you looked at xguest? Depending on exactly what you are doing it might
be suitable for your purpose. One note about customizing the profile is that
sabayon has a couple of bugs that prevent doing some types of customization.
But that may not be a show stopper for you. xguest is set up to do
unauthenticated logins. There might be problems with giving unauthenticated
access to the network, even if it is only through firefox.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Dave Quigley

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 10:38 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 19:52:51 +0530,
> lakshmi pathi <lakshmipathi.g@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Recently i came across Deep Freeze/Clean slate in a linux forum.Do we
> > have open source alternative to these tools?
> > Is that really helpful tool for linux user? Please share your thoughts.
>
> Have you looked at xguest? Depending on exactly what you are doing it might
> be suitable for your purpose. One note about customizing the profile is that
> sabayon has a couple of bugs that prevent doing some types of customization.
> But that may not be a show stopper for you. xguest is set up to do
> unauthenticated logins. There might be problems with giving unauthenticated
> access to the network, even if it is only through firefox.

I was looking through the xguest package and as of right now it seems
like it is setup just to deal with one user. However I'm sure it could
be adapted such that the xguest init script can take a user that it
wants to turn into an xguest account. The xguest package is a confined
SELinux user (xguest_u) with an init script and specialized
configuration data. If the script can be modified to take the user name
you could probably use it to make arbitrary home directories into xguest
accounts. I'm sure Dan has more to say about this since he is the author
of the xguest package.

Dave

Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 AM
"lakshmi pathi"

xguest..thanks guy i'll check it out and get back if i got any doubts ...

Cheers,
Lakshmipathi.G