Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/)
-   -   mobile broadband support (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/120826-mobile-broadband-support.html)

Gerry Reno 07-08-2008 02:57 AM

mobile broadband support
 
I have a Novatel Wireless S720 mobile broadband card. It's working, but
does anyone know how to get a signal strength displayed for it? I'm
flying blind with it. I can't tune my external antenna except by
gauging the relative speed of downloads between one antenna position and
another. Rather primitive. I've been googling this but haven't found
anything yet.


Thanks,
Gerry

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

"Colin Walters" 07-08-2008 07:28 AM

mobile broadband support
 
On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Gerry Reno <greno@verizon.net> wrote:

I have a Novatel Wireless S720 mobile broadband card. *It's working, but does anyone know how to get a signal strength displayed for it? *I'm flying blind with it. *I can't tune my external antenna except by gauging the relative speed of downloads between one antenna position and another. *Rather primitive. * I've been googling this but haven't found anything yet.



This list is for development; your best bet for questions about the networking stack is:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/


(I believe the answer is that the signal strength requires card-specific logic which isn't documented, so this isn't easy to implement)


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Gerry Reno 07-08-2008 02:15 PM

mobile broadband support
 
Colin Walters wrote:


(I believe the answer is that the signal strength requires
card-specific logic which isn't documented, so this isn't easy to
implement)


I finally located an area in the wiki for this:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NetworkManager-MobileBroadband


"Signal strength while connected is not supported at this time
because most cards use proprietary protocols to retrieve signal strength
while connected."


and this was for Fedora 9 release. So maybe some work will happen for
Fedora 10 that would start to add signal strength display for these cards.


Regards,
Gerry

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

"Peter Robinson" 07-08-2008 02:42 PM

mobile broadband support
 
>> (I believe the answer is that the signal strength requires card-specific
>> logic which isn't documented, so this isn't easy to implement)
>>
> I finally located an area in the wiki for this:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NetworkManager-MobileBroadband
>
> "Signal strength while connected is not supported at this time because
> most cards use proprietary protocols to retrieve signal strength while
> connected."
>
> and this was for Fedora 9 release. So maybe some work will happen for
> Fedora 10 that would start to add signal strength display for these cards.

I think part of the problem is that you need two serial ports/control
ports to be able to get signal at the same time as being connected and
not all cards have the two ports to do that. There's umtsmon but I'm
not sure it works at the same time as NetworkManager

http://umtsmon.sourceforge.net/

Peter

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Dan Williams 07-08-2008 04:27 PM

mobile broadband support
 
On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 15:42 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> >> (I believe the answer is that the signal strength requires card-specific
> >> logic which isn't documented, so this isn't easy to implement)
> >>
> > I finally located an area in the wiki for this:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NetworkManager-MobileBroadband
> >
> > "Signal strength while connected is not supported at this time because
> > most cards use proprietary protocols to retrieve signal strength while
> > connected."
> >
> > and this was for Fedora 9 release. So maybe some work will happen for
> > Fedora 10 that would start to add signal strength display for these cards.
>
> I think part of the problem is that you need two serial ports/control
> ports to be able to get signal at the same time as being connected and
> not all cards have the two ports to do that. There's umtsmon but I'm
> not sure it works at the same time as NetworkManager
>
> http://umtsmon.sourceforge.net/

Unfortunately, umtsmon doesn't do CDMA devices. So it won't work for
Gerry.

And further, the S720 is one of those cards that uses proprietary
protocols to deliver signal strength on the additional tty devices. So
unless somebody figures out the protocol, or Novatel opens up the
protocol, you'll never be able to get signal strength out of the card
under Linux.

Recent Sierra cards, some Huwei, and most Option cards are able to
deliver signal strength using normal AT commands, which we'll support
soon in NetworkManager. But for most old Sierra cards and most Novatel
cards, you are simply SOL.

Dan


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:12 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.