Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Brandon Thomas

Default Faster boot time

So last night I hibernated my laptop and when I came in today it booted pretty close to instantly.* I very seldomly hibernate my laptop because I frankly just don't see the same performance as after I boot cleanly from a full shutdown.* But I got to thinking...

What if some/all services were able to be configured to "hibernate" during shutdown, then at single program or service called by rhgb brought these programs back to life?* I think it would be helpful to reduce the number of services that start during boot for my laptop (httpd, mysqld, vsftpd, etc.).* Is such a feat possible?* Could there even be a decrease in boot time?

Brandon

Old 07-07-2008, 04:39 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 08:24:28AM -0400, Brandon Thomas wrote:
> So last night I hibernated my laptop and when I came in today it booted
> pretty close to instantly. I very seldomly hibernate my laptop because
> I frankly just don't see the same performance as after I boot cleanly
> from a full shutdown. But I got to thinking...

If you can get a reproducable test to show that its slower after resume
from hibernate then file a BZ so this can be fixed. The possible cause
is that after resume some of your apps/their data are still on swap so
the first time you access them will be slower as they're paged in.

> What if some/all services were able to be configured to "hibernate"
> during shutdown, then at single program or service called by rhgb
> brought these programs back to life? I think it would be helpful to
> reduce the number of services that start during boot for my laptop
> (httpd, mysqld, vsftpd, etc.). Is such a feat possible? Could there
> even be a decrease in boot time?

This is just re-inventing hibernate again with even more work which is
not a good use of developer time as compared to fixing any bugs which
actaully exist in hibernate/resume.

Daniel.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Steven Moix

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 08:24 -0400, Brandon Thomas wrote:
> I think it would be helpful to reduce the number of services that
> start during boot for my laptop (httpd, mysqld, vsftpd, etc.). Is
> such a feat possible? Could there even be a decrease in boot time?
> Brandon

I see one big problem with that: rebooting is often use to get a fresh
start after you made some experimental configuration changes. By
"hibernating" services, you couldn't guarantee that anymore.

Steven