Old 07-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Alan Cox

Default Install dies at waiting for hardware to init - sorta

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 10:21:33AM -0500, Dr. Diesel wrote:
> Any work-a-rounds or is this a bug? I'd like to learn how to do this
> without pulling the HighPoint cards for the install?

You will probably need to pull the rocketraid cards, and you'll almost
certainly need to avoid putting Linux anywhere near them.

To quote Mark Lord on the kernel list

"And the Highpoint RocketRAID cards are a similarly dubious choice,
as their onboard BIOS is known to corrupt filesystems before Linux
is even booted.

In particular, an "unconfigured" drive -- just plugged into a RR card
without entering the BIOS setup to configure a RAID -- gets sector 8 overwritten by the BIOS. This will destroy GRUB if it was installed.
And for drives which *have* been configured in the RR BIOS,
it overwrites a sector at the end of the final full GB on the drive,
for holding RR metadata."

~

Old 07-07-2008, 03:44 PM
"Dr. Diesel"

Really? These have been running fine in F6 for a long time now. When
I attempted to install F9 with the drives already configured it didn't
"appear" to do any harm as they again booted with F6 when I swapped
the drive back in...

But big thanks for the information, wonder how/who (maybe Mark) could
shed more light on how this works? My hope is maybe some of their
older cards only had this problem?

Thanks
Andy

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Alan Cox <alan@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 10:21:33AM -0500, Dr. Diesel wrote:
>> Any work-a-rounds or is this a bug? I'd like to learn how to do this
>> without pulling the HighPoint cards for the install?
>
> You will probably need to pull the rocketraid cards, and you'll almost
> certainly need to avoid putting Linux anywhere near them.
>
> To quote Mark Lord on the kernel list
>
> "And the Highpoint RocketRAID cards are a similarly dubious choice,
> as their onboard BIOS is known to corrupt filesystems before Linux
> is even booted.
>
> In particular, an "unconfigured" drive -- just plugged into a RR card
> without entering the BIOS setup to configure a RAID -- gets sector 8 overwritten by the BIOS. This will destroy GRUB if it was installed.
> And for drives which *have* been configured in the RR BIOS,
> it overwrites a sector at the end of the final full GB on the drive,
> for holding RR metadata."
>

> ~

projecthuh.com
All of my bits are free, are yours? Fedoraproject.org

Old 07-09-2008, 02:21 PM
"Dr. Diesel"

Several messages to and from Mark Lord, the sata_mv driver is not what
is causing the install to hang. Also the Highpoint problems of
overwritten sectors seem to only be a problem if you boot/load
grub/lilo on the array.

Is it possible to boot with a kernel argument that bypassed sata_mv?
Something like sata_mv=0 or something? I know I can blacklist it, but
what can I do for an installation?

Thanks
Andy

Old 07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Alan Cox

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 10:21:35AM -0400, Dr. Diesel wrote:
> Several messages to and from Mark Lord, the sata_mv driver is not what
> is causing the install to hang. Also the Highpoint problems of

> Is it possible to boot with a kernel argument that bypassed sata_mv?

I don't quite follow. You've established it isn't causing the hang you say
so why do you want to bypass it ?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:11 PM
"Dr. Diesel"

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Alan Cox <alan@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 10:21:35AM -0400, Dr. Diesel wrote:
>> Several messages to and from Mark Lord, the sata_mv driver is not what
>> is causing the install to hang. Also the Highpoint problems of
>
>> Is it possible to boot with a kernel argument that bypassed sata_mv?
>
> I don't quite follow. You've established it isn't causing the hang you say
> so why do you want to bypass it ?

For confirmation and to reduce/eliminate the chance of the BIOS/Sector
8 etc problem you first enlightened me to.

Any idea why it loses "sight" of the install media?