Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Default Proposed SIG: Windows MinGW cross-compiler SIG

I would like to propose a new SIG for Fedora:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/MinGW

The mission is to provide a MinGW-based cross-compiler and some common
libraries so that Fedora users will be able to cross-compile software
targeting Windows. The aim will be that, just using a Fedora host and
completely free software, you will be able to produce Windows *.DLLs
and *.EXEs.

The three initial contributors, myself, Dan Berrange and Daniel
Veillard, are primarily interested in providing a libvirt client
library and some libvirt-based tools for Windows users (so that they
will be able to manage Linux systems running libvirtd remotely).
However we think that a cross-compiler could have much wider interest
in the Fedora community.

Debian provide the MinGW cross-compiler & binutils already. We are
proposing to go further, by providing not just the cross-compiler &
binutils, but common libraries too. For example, building libvirt
requires GnuTLS and libxml2. In doing this we would like to leverage
the work done already by Callum Lerwick (http://www.haxxed.com/rpms/).

We believe that there is no other viable alternative to the
cross-compiler (eg. using a 'Windows secondary arch') since any
alternatives would require non-free software.

Note that this requires shipping Windows DLLs (built from free
software, NOT proprietary DLLs). AIUI it is not possible to build
(eg.) libvirt.dll unless gnutls.dll was available already.

Many aspects of this are open for discussion - eg. naming conventions
for RPMs, paths for DLLs, name of the compiler & binutils, should we
only target i686, etc etc.

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 59 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)

Old 07-07-2008, 10:54 AM
"Jonathan Underwood"

2008/7/7 Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com>:
> I would like to propose a new SIG for Fedora:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/MinGW
>
> The mission is to provide a MinGW-based cross-compiler and some common
> libraries so that Fedora users will be able to cross-compile software
> targeting Windows. The aim will be that, just using a Fedora host and
> completely free software, you will be able to produce Windows *.DLLs
> and *.EXEs.
>
> The three initial contributors, myself, Dan Berrange and Daniel
> Veillard, are primarily interested in providing a libvirt client
> library and some libvirt-based tools for Windows users (so that they
> will be able to manage Linux systems running libvirtd remotely).
> However we think that a cross-compiler could have much wider interest
> in the Fedora community.

[...]

I would very much love to see this, as I always end up rolling my own
tool chain to cross compile for windows anyway, largely for GSL and
other scientific libraries. I would be happy to help out in the
"package monkey" sense if the SIG could identify tasks they need help
with.

Jonathan.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 11:54:18AM +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> I would very much love to see this, as I always end up rolling my own
> tool chain to cross compile for windows anyway, largely for GSL and
> other scientific libraries. I would be happy to help out in the
> "package monkey" sense if the SIG could identify tasks they need help
> with.

Well we could certainly do with your experience in that case, because
there are loads of unanswered issues ... I've started a list of
packages that we would like to see (just for libvirt) on the SIG page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/MinGW

Rich.

virt-p2v converts physical machines to virtual machines. Boot with a
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v

Old 07-07-2008, 09:15 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

I've got a self-building, mostly working set of Fedora packages for
the MinGW cross-compiler (no optional libraries yet). You can get the
spec files and instructions by doing:

hg clone http://hg.et.redhat.com/misc/fedora-mingw--devel

Please read the README file first.

Rich.

software inside the virtual machine. Supports Linux and Windows.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/

Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Brendan Conoboy

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

I would like to propose a new SIG for Fedora:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/MinGW

The mission is to provide a MinGW-based cross-compiler and some common
libraries so that Fedora users will be able to cross-compile software
targeting Windows. The aim will be that, just using a Fedora host and
completely free software, you will be able to produce Windows *.DLLs
and *.EXEs.

Hi Rich,

Any particular reason to go with MinGW rather than Cygwin? Is there
room for both in the SIG?

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc@redhat.com

Old 07-07-2008, 10:14 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 03:53:14PM -0600, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >I would like to propose a new SIG for Fedora:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/MinGW
> >
> >The mission is to provide a MinGW-based cross-compiler and some common
> >libraries so that Fedora users will be able to cross-compile software
> >targeting Windows. The aim will be that, just using a Fedora host and
> >completely free software, you will be able to produce Windows *.DLLs
> >and *.EXEs.
>
> Any particular reason to go with MinGW rather than Cygwin? Is there
> room for both in the SIG?

For libvirt the show stopper is licensing. CYGWIN1.DLL is intentionally
under the GPL and all Cygwin programs must link to it. libvirt is under
the LGPL because we want to enable the widest possible use by open
and closed source programs. Having the library GPL-only on Windows isn't
desirable.

Daniel

Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 1:47 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com> wrote:
> The three initial contributors, myself, Dan Berrange and Daniel
> Veillard, are primarily interested in providing a libvirt client
> library and some libvirt-based tools for Windows users (so that they
> will be able to manage Linux systems running libvirtd remotely).
> However we think that a cross-compiler could have much wider interest
> in the Fedora community.

Which of our contributors had developed the liveusb creator tool for
windows? I'm sure they'd be interested in making use of this
toolchain, maybe helping with it. I think Lmacken is one of them.

I was also talking to someone on irc about bringing a wubi-alike
application to install and run Fedora as a windows application. I
forget exactly who I was talking to..sorry... but the conversation did
touch on needing the minGW cross-compiler to build the application.

Once we have a viable cross compiler toolchain available as part of
our project, have we thought about how we can expose it so we can
build and host 'official' project tools meant to be used on windows?
As the liveusb-creator experience has shown, there is a place for
window executables in the project's binary offerings. As long as we
can build them in an open build system, we shouldn't have any
fundamental policy problems generating more tool of that nature.. but
have we thought about how we would want to setup the build system and
distribution of such executables?

-jef

Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 03:53:14PM -0600, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> Any particular reason to go with MinGW rather than Cygwin? Is there
> room for both in the SIG?

Cygwin has a licensing issue -- namely that it is GPL and so prevents
any proprietary development on top of our libraries.

This isn't necessarily a problem for the 'MinGW' SIG, but it is a bit
of a problem for libvirt.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top

Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 02:39:44PM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> Once we have a viable cross compiler toolchain available as part of
> our project, have we thought about how we can expose it so we can
> build and host 'official' project tools meant to be used on windows?

Please do jump in and try out the tools I've been building. I don't
know if they can be used for anything beyond simple POSIX libraries
(which is my main focus so far) but I guess you can try.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

I've got as far as building GnuTLS + dependent libraries. As before,
you can try out the work from the fedora-mingw repository: