Old 07-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Matthew Garrett

Default pm-utils for F8 and Advanced power management

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 09:02:30AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Maybe I'm unusual, but I rarely reboot my laptop cleanly. I'm not sure I'd
> want X weeks of logs to go away.
>
> Are there any sorts of mechanisms to do per-directory or per-file writeback
> caching, so that /var/log/ could be set to 'sync only every 15 minutes',
> or similar?

Not that I can think of. Implementing it in rsyslog might be the easiest
option, though that would still leave apps that do their logging by
hand. Maybe we should just fix them all up to use syslog when possible.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 07-10-2008, 09:21 PM
"Callum Lerwick"

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 09:02:30AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Maybe I'm unusual, but I rarely reboot my laptop cleanly. I'm not sure I'd
>> want X weeks of logs to go away.
>>
>> Are there any sorts of mechanisms to do per-directory or per-file writeback
>> caching, so that /var/log/ could be set to 'sync only every 15 minutes',
>> or similar?
>
> Not that I can think of. Implementing it in rsyslog might be the easiest
> option, though that would still leave apps that do their logging by
> hand. Maybe we should just fix them all up to use syslog when possible.

Maybe we should just get a full-blown laptop-mode working. The problem
has already been solved. But we appear to not be using it.

http://samwel.tk/laptop_mode/

Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 PM
"Callum Lerwick"

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 5:29 AM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 06:32:16AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>
>> Putting syslog on tmpfs by default and limiting the total size to something
>> like 5MB would be something to evaluate for the default desktop.
>
> I looked into this, and we're not actually doing too badly - our syslogd
> doesn't fsync() after every log entry. I'm broadly in favour of using
> tmpfs, though. There's an argument that certain priorities probably want
> to stay on disk, but otherwise we can simply sync the tmpfs to disk on
> shutdown or reboot.

Yeah that's just what we need, more VM pressure. My 1.25gb machine
isn't swapping enough as it is. (Thanks to Firefox!)

Old 07-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Bastien Nocera

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 15:10 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 09:02:30AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Maybe I'm unusual, but I rarely reboot my laptop cleanly. I'm not sure I'd
> > want X weeks of logs to go away.
> >
> > Are there any sorts of mechanisms to do per-directory or per-file writeback
> > caching, so that /var/log/ could be set to 'sync only every 15 minutes',
> > or similar?
>
> Not that I can think of. Implementing it in rsyslog might be the easiest
> option, though that would still leave apps that do their logging by
> hand. Maybe we should just fix them all up to use syslog when possible.

Maybe logrotate could copy the files from the tmpfs to disk on a
semi-regular basis, rather than hack this into syslog directly?

Would also mean that apps that have their own logging would work as
expected as well.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Peter Jones

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Matthew Garrett (mjg59@srcf.ucam.org) said:

Putting syslog on tmpfs by default and limiting the total size to something
like 5MB would be something to evaluate for the default desktop.
I looked into this, and we're not actually doing too badly - our syslogd
doesn't fsync() after every log entry. I'm broadly in favour of using
tmpfs, though. There's an argument that certain priorities probably want
to stay on disk, but otherwise we can simply sync the tmpfs to disk on
shutdown or reboot.

Maybe I'm unusual, but I rarely reboot my laptop cleanly. I'm not sure I'd
want X weeks of logs to go away.

Are there any sorts of mechanisms to do per-directory or per-file writeback
caching, so that /var/log/ could be set to 'sync only every 15 minutes',
or similar?

Note that we really want similar functionality for e.g.
gnome-power-manager's battery charge history data.

--
Peter

Old 07-27-2008, 06:28 AM
Richard Hughes

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 17:14 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> Note that we really want similar functionality for e.g.
> gnome-power-manager's battery charge history data.

Yes, I'm going to push this into DeviceKit-power and hopefully we can do
something more sane with caching and only writing when we need to.

Richard.