Old 07-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

Default packaging a package with a duplicate name ?

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 11:16 +0100, Caolan McNamara wrote:
> I'm packaging jfreereport and one of the dependencies is a java package
> called "libxml",
> i.e. http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=51669
> "LibXML is a namespace aware SAX-Parser" and is no relation to the c
> libxml/libxml2. What's an acceptable name for the package given that
> "libxml" is taken, libxml-java ? libxml-jfreereport ?

That's unfortunate that they decided to stomp on someone else's name.

jfreereport-xml

Old 07-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Dan Horák

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams p*še v So 05. 07. 2008 v 08:46 -0400:
> On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 11:16 +0100, Caolan McNamara wrote:
> > I'm packaging jfreereport and one of the dependencies is a java package
> > called "libxml",
> > i.e. http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=51669
> > "LibXML is a namespace aware SAX-Parser" and is no relation to the c
> > libxml/libxml2. What's an acceptable name for the package given that
> > "libxml" is taken, libxml-java ? libxml-jfreereport ?
>
> That's unfortunate that they decided to stomp on someone else's name.
>
> jfreereport-xml

maybe all the libs from this project should be placed into the
"jfreereport-" namespace

Dan

Old 07-05-2008, 01:33 PM
David Woodhouse

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 08:46 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 11:16 +0100, Caolan McNamara wrote:
> > I'm packaging jfreereport and one of the dependencies is a java package
> > called "libxml",
> > i.e. http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=51669
> > "LibXML is a namespace aware SAX-Parser" and is no relation to the c
> > libxml/libxml2. What's an acceptable name for the package given that
> > "libxml" is taken, libxml-java ? libxml-jfreereport ?
>
> That's unfortunate that they decided to stomp on someone else's name.

It's unfortunate that Java folks feel they have to reimplement the
world, regardless of the nomenclature they use.

--
dwmw2

Old 07-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Nicolas Mailhot

Le samedi 05 juillet 2008 * 14:33 +0100, David Woodhouse a écrit :
> On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 08:46 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 11:16 +0100, Caolan McNamara wrote:
> > > I'm packaging jfreereport and one of the dependencies is a java package
> > > called "libxml",
> > > i.e. http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=51669
> > > "LibXML is a namespace aware SAX-Parser" and is no relation to the c
> > > libxml/libxml2. What's an acceptable name for the package given that
> > > "libxml" is taken, libxml-java ? libxml-jfreereport ?
> >
> > That's unfortunate that they decided to stomp on someone else's name.
>
> It's unfortunate that Java folks feel they have to reimplement the
> world, regardless of the nomenclature they use.

You mean, unlike the perl or lisp guys?

There is a lot of bad things to be said about Java but this particular
failure is not Java-specific.

--
Nicolas Mailhot