Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 AM
"Paulo Cavalcanti"

Default kernel 2.6.25 hanging at boot

Hi,

I have been having problems with kernel 2.6.25 on F8
with my Dell Vostro 1400 laptop. The boot sometimes freezes.

It just writes:

Decompressing Linux ....done.

Booting the kernel.

and then hangs forever, and I have to press the power down button.

The interesting thing is that if I suppress the quiet option in /etc/grub.conf
to have a verbose boot, It does not hang (so it seems).

This makes me believe that this extra printing introduces a small delay
in the boot process, giving time to something initialize properly,

Does this make any sense at all? Could it be some kind of race condition?

Thanks.
--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ

Old 07-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Jarod Wilson

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 05:06:52 am Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been having problems with kernel 2.6.25 on F8
> with my Dell Vostro 1400 laptop. The boot sometimes freezes.
>
> It just writes:
>
> Decompressing Linux ....done.
> Booting the kernel.
>
> and then hangs forever, and I have to press the power down button.
>
> The interesting thing is that if I suppress the quiet option in
> /etc/grub.conf
> to have a verbose boot, It does not hang (so it seems).
>
> This makes me believe that this extra printing introduces a small delay
> in the boot process, giving time to something initialize properly,
>
> Does this make any sense at all? Could it be some kind of race condition?

Certainly could be. Definitely file a bug if you haven't already.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson@redhat.com