Old 07-02-2008, 02:16 AM
Andrew Bartlett

Default Copyright licence finder?

I wondered if, in auditing for licence tag correctness, if anybody had
written a copyright/licence block finder?

I'm thinking of a tool that looks for comment blocks in C code that look
like copyright notices, and complies them together listing only unique
licences.

It could be very useful in finding the full list of unique licences (of
the BSD variety in particular) for filling out the licence tag, as the
output could be pushed into a file to comply with the 'acknowledgement
in the source or documentation requirement, for binary packages.

A possible output could look like the manually constructed copyright
files in Debian/ubuntu:
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/universe/w/wmi/wmi_0.1.6-1/python-wmi.copyright

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett
http://samba.org/~abartlet/

Old 07-02-2008, 04:13 AM
Arjan van de Ven

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 12:16:12 +1000
Andrew Bartlett <abartlet@samba.org> wrote:

> I wondered if, in auditing for licence tag correctness, if anybody had
> written a copyright/licence block finder?
>
> I'm thinking of a tool that looks for comment blocks in C code that
> look like copyright notices, and complies them together listing only
> unique licences.

have you looked at fossology ?

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org

Old 07-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Andrew Bartlett

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 21:13 -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 12:16:12 +1000
> Andrew Bartlett <abartlet@samba.org> wrote:
>
> > I wondered if, in auditing for licence tag correctness, if anybody had
> > written a copyright/licence block finder?
> >
> > I'm thinking of a tool that looks for comment blocks in C code that
> > look like copyright notices, and complies them together listing only
> > unique licences.
> >

> have you looked at fossology ?

I've tried to set that up, but it seems very heavy-weight. I couldn't
get it set up, on the debian unstable VM I tried.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett
http://samba.org/~abartlet/