Old 07-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Hans de Goede

Default Dependencies breakage in released Fedora versions (twice now)

Hi All,

The last week I've had bugs filed twice against packages I maintain because
their dependencies had broken, and this is not with rawhide but in F-9 and F-8 !!

One of these 2 breakages was due to a php version bump for security reasons,
and I can live with that. One kind request to Joe Orton (in the CC) though,
next time if you have the time please remember that maniadrive has a full
versioned dependency on php and will break with each upstream version change.
All my packages are wide open so next time please feel free to rebuild
maniadrive and include it in the update.

The other dependency breakage though is due to rddtool (which also included a
shared libary) being updated from a release candidate to the final, and this
change includes a soname change. This is not acceptable in a released version
unless there is a _really_ _really_ good reason, and even if there is a really_
_really_ good reason this should have been coordinated with any dependend packages.

Perhaps we can add a dependency check in bodhi, or if that slows bodhi down to
much atleast run the dep-checking script currently run on rawhide also on "F-x
+ upodates + updates-testing", running the dep-checking script on "F-x +
upodates + updates-testing" would have caught both these dep breakages as both
packages have gone through testing first.

Then any broken deps should be mailed to the maintainers of the involved
packages and to rel-eng, which then should block (or completely reject) non
critical updates until the deps are solved.

Regards,

Hans