Old 07-01-2008, 04:19 AM
"Jerry Williams"

Default GUI root login and NTFS mounts?

When I login as root with the GUI my NTFS file systems get
mounted.

And if I logout and login as a normal user they are still
mounted.

This seems like it may be a bug to me.

Â*

If I login first as a normal user they aren’t mounted.

Â*

What is mounting them and how can I control if a file system
gets mounted or not?

They aren’t listed in /etc/fstab and they get mounted
under /media.

I would like to figure this out so I don’t have to
login as root to mount them.

And I don’t want them all mounted either.

Â*

Thanks!

Jerry Williams

Old 07-01-2008, 05:14 AM
"Clyde E. Kunkel"

Jerry Williams wrote:

When I login as root with the GUI my NTFS file systems get mounted.

<snip>

And I don’t want them all mounted either.

I found the following resolved the problem for me (from an oldish thread):

maybe related to this
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2008-May/msg00935.html

IIRC (?)

Old stuff:

Fedora 7 has a file called
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/99-redhat-storage-policy-fixed-drives.fdi
to prevent this from happening, here's its contents:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
<match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable" bool="false">
<merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
</match>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

If that file is no longer there in Fedora 8, try adding it and see if
that
helps.

HTH

-- Ronald Warsow <rwarsow@gmx.de>

Old 07-01-2008, 01:19 PM
"Tom London"

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Clyde E. Kunkel
<clydekunkel7734@cox.net> wrote:
> Jerry Williams wrote:
>>
>> When I login as root with the GUI my NTFS file systems get mounted.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> And I don't want them all mounted either.
>>
> I found the following resolved the problem for me (from an oldish thread):
>
>> maybe related to this
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2008-May/msg00935.html
>>
>> IIRC (?)
>>

>> Old stuff:
>>
>> Fedora 7 has a file called
>>
>> /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/99-redhat-storage-policy-fixed-drives.fdi
>> to prevent this from happening, here's its contents:
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
>>
>> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
>> <device>
>> <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
>> <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable" bool="false">
>> <merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
>> </match>
>> </match>
>> </device>
>> </deviceinfo>
>>
>> If that file is no longer there in Fedora 8, try adding it and see if
>> that helps.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> -- Ronald Warsow <rwarsow@gmx.de>
>

> ---------------------------------
> Regards,
>
> Old Fart

I believe HAL does not try to mount partitions/devices that are in
/etc/fstab, so I added an entry for the partition to /etc/fstab with
"noauto".

For example, I have the following line in mine:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g rw,noauto 0 0

tom
--
Tom London