-   -   CreatingPackageHowTo (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/116231-creatingpackagehowto.html)

"David A. Wheeler" 06-30-2008 03:07 PM

CreatingPackageHowTo

I think there that there is a real need for the
"CreatingPackageHowTo" page. The "RPM Guide" by
Eric Foster-Johnson is not a bad book, nor is "Maximum RPM". However...

Documents like the "RPM Guide" tend to be generic for any distro, and fail
to give enough Fedora-specific info. E.G, for _Fedora_:
* You need to know about "yum install rpmdevtools", and "rpmdev-setuptree".
* For each tag, you need to know the Fedora rules, right when you learn
about the tag. E.G., generic docs will tell you "Summary:" exists,
but not "Use American English". For "Group:" where do you find the
list of groups? For "License:", where's the list of license abbreviations?
* %build should use%{?_smp_mflags} with make, where appropriate.
* There are lots of Fedora-specific guidelines that should an intro document
should link to, if you're creating Fedora packages.

Many of the documents on RPM don't seem have clear statements explaining
misleading terminology, and as a result they're very confusing.
The "build directory" and "build root" are fundamentally different, yet
many existing docs don't make it _clear_ that there is a difference.
The "%install" section doesn't actually do the final software install
(when you have a build root), but this is often not made clear; a reader
might think that's what is run when users install a binary RPM.

Finally, most of the RPM docs aren't well-maintained.
For example, Fedora packages are supposed to use "%check",
which is essentially undocumented, and are supposed to AVOID
"%makeinstall" if they can. WHY aren't the docs maintained?
I believe a key reason is that they aren't on a Wiki.
Wikis (by their nature) are easy to update/fix, and thus they
tend to be more up-to-date.

I don't think it has to be either/or. The "CreatingPackageHowTo"
page gives the overall info, and then links to specific chapters
for specific information when it's needed.

--- David A. Wheeler

Mamoru Tasaka 06-30-2008 03:21 PM

CreatingPackageHowTo

I think there that there is a real need for the
"CreatingPackageHowTo" page. The "RPM Guide" by
Eric Foster-Johnson is not a bad book, nor is "Maximum RPM". However...

Have you looked at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines ?
As you seem to be a new contributor, please also see:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join (all new contributors
are supposed to see this wiki).

Mamoru

yersinia 06-30-2008 03:36 PM

CreatingPackageHowTo

woot,

perhaps David is a new contributor to Fedora but everyone in the world know it as author
of seminal papers, and contributor of the free/libre world.

http://www.dwheeler.com/

Rahul Sundaram 06-30-2008 03:42 PM

CreatingPackageHowTo

yersinia wrote:

woot,

perhaps David is a new contributor to Fedora but everyone in the world
know it as author

of seminal papers, and contributor of the free/libre world.

http://www.dwheeler.com/

Yes, that doesn't change the possibility that a contributor new to
Fedora might have missed some reference documentation.

Rahul

Doug Ledford 06-30-2008 04:14 PM

CreatingPackageHowTo

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 00:21 +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> David A. Wheeler wrote, at 07/01/2008 12:07 AM +9:00:
> > I think there that there is a real need for the
> > "CreatingPackageHowTo" page. The "RPM Guide" by
> > Eric Foster-Johnson is not a bad book, nor is "Maximum RPM". However...

> Have you looked at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines ?
> As you seem to be a new contributor, please also see:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join (all new contributors
> are supposed to see this wiki).

David's guide and the above guide are two different things and do not
serve the same role. You can think of David's guide as a quick start,
hello-world version of how to create a good package. The above listed
guide is more like the C Coding Style Reference Manual. They simply
aren't intended for nor useful to the same audience. And I happened to
find David's guide very well written and something that I think I would
point people new to rpm packaging to without problem. I would expect
people new to rpm packaging to be overwhelmed and lost on the above
referenced guide.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at

Doug Ledford 06-30-2008 04:16 PM

CreatingPackageHowTo

> yersinia wrote:
> > woot,
> >
> > perhaps David is a new contributor to Fedora but everyone in the world
> > know it as author
> > of seminal papers, and contributor of the free/libre world.
> >
> > http://www.dwheeler.com/
>
> Yes, that doesn't change the possibility that a contributor new to
> Fedora might have missed some reference documentation.

Who says he missed it (he might have, I don't know)? Regardless, the
other docs just aren't that great for someone brand new.

yersinia 06-30-2008 04:19 PM

CreatingPackageHowTo

Ok, i don't think so - it is like to tell to linus as to build rpm for an kernel module.........

*But anyway..

On RPM exists many document, two book an obviously the mailing list for the corner case.

- Book :

Maximun RPM

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/

Red Hat RPM Guide

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/drafts/rpm-guide-en/

Errata of this book

http://foster-johnson.com/rpm.html

For David, in this book is explained the difference between "build dir" and "build root"

- course online

GuruLabs (http://www.gurulabs.com/GURULABS-RPM-LAB/GURULABS-RPM-GUIDE-v1.0.PDF)

- For other distro other Fedora

http://www.mandrivaclub.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB/MandrivaRpmHowTo

- For Fedora

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines

and other in the draft section, other that the presentation to RedHat summit of Tom Spot Colloway
http://spot.fedorapeople.org/Summit2008/

Regards

"David A. Wheeler" 06-30-2008 08:11 PM

CreatingPackageHowTo

Mamoru Tasaka :
> Have you looked at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines ?
> As you seem to be a new contributor, please also see:
>https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join (all new contributors
> are supposed to see this wiki).

Yes, absolutely. I read them (and many other pages) completely
before developing "CreatingPackageHowTo". Neither is a tutorial
on how to create Fedora RPMs; they both presume you _already_
know how to create Fedora RPM packages.

The available tutorials are not very helpful, either.
Most (e.g, "Maximum RPM" and "RPM Guide") are out of date and
omit much of the Fedora-specific stuff that's important
if you're creating a Fedora package. For example, how do I encode the
"License:" value in Fedora, properly?
I'm all for creating portable RPMs, but a tutorial needs to include the
information necessary to easily comply with Fedora's key rules. Otherwise,
you end up wasting a lot of time tracking that stuff down.

Both SuSE and Mandriva have both switched to
using a Wiki to maintain their RPM tutorials. Presumably, that's so they
can be kept up-to-date and include the distro specifics.

--- David A. Wheeler

Rahul Sundaram 06-30-2008 08:40 PM

CreatingPackageHowTo

David A. Wheeler wrote:

Both SuSE and Mandriva have both switched to
using a Wiki to maintain their RPM tutorials. Presumably, that's so they
can be kept up-to-date and include the distro specifics.

Since the current rpm draft guide is unmaintained, you may well be
right. If you want to copy the content to the wiki and make updates to
it directly, feel free to do so.

Rahul

Patrice Dumas 06-30-2008 09:39 PM

CreatingPackageHowTo

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:07:32AM -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> I think there that there is a real need for the
> "CreatingPackageHowTo" page. The "RPM Guide" by

It is already there, on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CreatingPackageHowTo

Is time running back ;-) ?

> I don't think it has to be either/or. The "CreatingPackageHowTo"
> page gives the overall info, and then links to specific chapters
> for specific information when it's needed.

I think that care should be taken not to add too much info on this
page, though, to keep it simple, usable for beginners.

--
Pat