Old 06-28-2008, 01:00 PM
"John (J5) Palmieri"

Default Attribution for feature lists

A good point was brought up, perhaps not so gracefully, on the gnome
blogs[1] and my follow up[2]. The issue was about credit for a
particular author's work in a feature list. Now please don't devolve
this thread into a distribution flame fest but I think it is important
that we do a couple of things when releasing our feature lists and other
such documents.

First language is important. It is quite alright to gush over the
contributions that came directly out of Fedora but we do sit on top of a
larger upstream community and should make sure our language does not
imply we wrote things we have not. Not that this has ever happened.

Second, since we can't list every contributor I suggest we make an
effort to point to an authors page inside of each item listed as a major
feature of our next release instead of some fine print that mildly
acknowledges contributions of others.

By doing this we maintain good ties with upstream and are able to credit
ourselves for the work that we have done also.

[1] http://zee-nix.blogspot.com/2008/06/shame-ubuntu-shame.html
[2] http://www.j5live.com/2008/06/27/credit-and-where-it-is-due/

Old 06-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Bastien Nocera

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 09:00 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> A good point was brought up, perhaps not so gracefully, on the gnome
> blogs[1] and my follow up[2]. The issue was about credit for a
> particular author's work in a feature list. Now please don't devolve
> this thread into a distribution flame fest but I think it is important
> that we do a couple of things when releasing our feature lists and other
> such documents.
>
> First language is important. It is quite alright to gush over the
> contributions that came directly out of Fedora but we do sit on top of a
> larger upstream community and should make sure our language does not
> imply we wrote things we have not. Not that this has ever happened.
>
> Second, since we can't list every contributor I suggest we make an
> effort to point to an authors page inside of each item listed as a major
> feature of our next release instead of some fine print that mildly
> acknowledges contributions of others.

We should already be linking to the features page for big features,
where it should be quite clear which parts were upstream, and which ones
were Fedora specific/Fedora driven.