Old 06-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Andrew Overholt

Default /usr/share/eclipse/* -> %{_libdir}/eclipse/

Hi,

In the past we've struggled with multilib issues in the Eclipse SDK
package. Examples include having to re-pack every JAR to have a common
timestamp, shuffling arch-specific JARs off to %{_libdir} thus causing
headaches with upstream mechanisms (which I'm concerned will continue
with the new version), etc.

I just found out today that Debian ships everything in
%{_libdir}/eclipse to avoid these issues. I'm proposing we do the same
for Fedora 10 and beyond.

Pros:
- self-contained installation like upstream
- dramatically speeds up builds
- remove potential for bugs with the multiple locations
- looks like an upstream download
- consistency with other distributions

Cons:
- larger disk footprint for multilib installations (on the order of 100
MB ... although the vast majority of users don't use both)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Andrew

Old 06-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Nicolas Mailhot

Le vendredi 27 juin 2008 à 14:14 -0400, Andrew Overholt a écrit :

> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'd rather you worked with Fernando Nasser and the other guys in
Fedora's java place on common jar deployment rules, instead of
reinventing the private app root dead-end that makes sharing resources
next to impossible and encourages library forking and duplication

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 06-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Andrew Overholt

* Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net> [2008-06-27 15:17]:
> Le vendredi 27 juin 2008 à 14:14 -0400, Andrew Overholt a écrit :
>
> > Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
> I'd rather you worked with Fernando Nasser and the other guys in
> Fedora's java place on common jar deployment rules, instead of
> reinventing the private app root dead-end that makes sharing resources
> next to impossible and encourages library forking and duplication

The JARs are 99% application-specific so putting them into a
subdirectory makes sense to me and follows the guidelines we have in
place. We have no library forking or duplication of the dependent JARs,
either.

Andrew

Old 06-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Andrew Overholt

Old 06-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Alphonse Van Assche

Andrew Overholt a écrit :

- dramatically speeds up builds

+1.

That should be something really useful... building the whole eclipse
packages take at the moment too many time.

Regards,
Alphonse

Old 06-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Andrew Haley

Andrew Overholt wrote:
> * Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net> [2008-06-27 15:17]:
>> Le vendredi 27 juin 2008 à 14:14 -0400, Andrew Overholt a écrit :
>>
>>> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>> I'd rather you worked with Fernando Nasser and the other guys in
>> Fedora's java place on common jar deployment rules, instead of
>> reinventing the private app root dead-end that makes sharing resources
>> next to impossible and encourages library forking and duplication
>
> The JARs are 99% application-specific so putting them into a
> subdirectory makes sense to me and follows the guidelines we have in
> place. We have no library forking or duplication of the dependent JARs,
> either.

I agree. Eclipse's deployment problems are somewhat unusual. Debian's
solution looks like a practical way to solve these problems.

Andrew.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Andrew Haley