Old 06-27-2008, 04:36 PM
"Clyde E. Kunkel"

Default Xen kernel freezing during boot after upgrading from FC8 to FC9

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto wrote:

Hello,

I've posted this before... but it seems it is not solved yet.

After I upgraded from FC8 to FC9 Xen kernels are freezing during boot.
More precisely just after the message: (Xen) ... relinquishing VGA

The same problem happens with 2.6.25.3-1.fc9.i686 and 2.6.25.3-2.fc9.i686

Best regards,

Casimiro Barreto

Same in current rawhide....

Old 06-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Chris Snook

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto wrote:

Hello,

I've posted this before... but it seems it is not solved yet.

After I upgraded from FC8 to FC9 Xen kernels are freezing during boot.
More precisely just after the message: (Xen) ... relinquishing VGA

The same problem happens with 2.6.25.3-1.fc9.i686 and 2.6.25.3-2.fc9.i686

Best regards,

Casimiro Barreto

Same in current rawhide....

F9 switched to using the upstream paravirt_ops infrastructure for Xen, so that
the Xen kernels can keep in sync with the baremetal kernel, rather than lagging
behind several releases. Unfortunately, there are still some features necessary
to be a dom0 Xen host that have not yet been ported to paravirt_ops, so the F9
Xen kernel can't boot your physical box, though it'll run just fine under an F8
dom0. F10 is expected to have full dom0 support, using paravirt_ops, but for
now, you'll either have to use F8 in your dom0, or use something like KVM that's
fully merged.

-- Chris

Old 06-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Will Woods

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 12:36 -0400, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> Casimiro de Almeida Barreto wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've posted this before... but it seems it is not solved yet.
> >
> > After I upgraded from FC8 to FC9 Xen kernels are freezing during boot.
> > More precisely just after the message: (Xen) ... relinquishing VGA
> > The same problem happens with 2.6.25.3-1.fc9.i686 and 2.6.25.3-2.fc9.i686

F9 and Rawhide kernel-xen are not usable as a dom0 / Xen host. You can
run them as Xen guests but they won't work on bare metal. Hopefully F10
will bring a working Xen dom0 kernel.

Until then, if you want a Xen host, run F8 or RHEL or CentOS or
something.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvops and
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0 for more info.

-w

Old 06-30-2008, 03:32 PM

Will Woods escreveu:

I've posted this before... but it seems it is not solved yet.

After I upgraded from FC8 to FC9 Xen kernels are freezing during boot.
More precisely just after the message: (Xen) ... relinquishing VGA
The same problem happens with 2.6.25.3-1.fc9.i686 and 2.6.25.3-2.fc9.i686

F9 and Rawhide kernel-xen are not usable as a dom0 / Xen host. You can
run them as Xen guests but they won't work on bare metal. Hopefully F10
will bring a working Xen dom0 kernel.

Until then, if you want a Xen host, run F8 or RHEL or CentOS or
something.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvops and
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0 for more info.

-w

Ok. Understood. As a suggestion to the development team in charge, why
not to implement tests and issue adequate messages like: processor not
supported or anything like that? Anyways Xen tests processor flags...

-CdAB