FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default Backporting some F9 packages to F8

Joshua C. <joshuacov <at> googlemail.com> writes:
> I have F8 and I like it. F9 is better but there are still some issue for me.
> My ati card isn't resonably supported by the free ati driver. the fglrx I
> don't like either and other minor problems (acer hk, kde359 is still better
> than 404 I think, etc). therefore I'm kind of "stuck" with f8.I'm still
> waiting for the upgrade to F9.

Other people have other reasons not to upgrade to F9, we can't produce hundreds
of F8/F9 hybrids to make everyone happy. Either you want the new stuff or you
don't. (That said, some people have had success with upgrading to F9 while
keeping the X.Org X11 from F8, which would look like almost what you want. It
requires some tweaking though, and isn't really a "supported" configuration. If
you prefer KDE 4.0.83 to 4.0.5, you can get that for F9 from kde-redhat
unstable. The plan is to push KDE 4.1 to F9 when it is actually released.)

In any case, what's sure is that no KDE 4.x.y will ever be pushed as an
official F8 upgrade (except for the parts which are already there: the
development platform and Dolphin). In kde-redhat unstable maybe (it currently
has 4.0.4 for F8), but Rex is focusing on F9 and newer these days, so he might
not have the time and/or interest to push 4.1 down to the F8 repo at
kde-redhat.

Kevin Kofler

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 06-27-2008, 02:55 PM
"Debarshi Ray"
 
Default Backporting some F9 packages to F8

> Can someone backport some of the F9 packages to F8? Especially some of the
> following:
> [...]
> gcc

During the F-9 development cycle, I was able to install gcc and glibc
from Rawhide on my F-8 system. I am using gcc-4.3 on F-8 since then.

Updating gcc and friends will break many F-8 packages, which do not
build with gcc-4.3. For some of these packages, Fedora is carrying
downstream patches (eg., kernel). If these patches are not the same in
F-8 and F-9 then it might be a lot of work.

Happy hacking,
Debarshi

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 06-28-2008, 02:31 AM
brad longo
 
Default Backporting some F9 packages to F8

Joshua C. wrote:
I have F8 and I like it. F9 is better but there are still some issue
for me. My ati card isn't resonably supported by the free ati driver.
the fglrx I don't like either and other minor problems (acer hk,
kde359 is still better than 404 I think, etc). therefore I'm kind of
"stuck" with f8.


I'm still waiting for the upgrade to F9.


2008/6/27 Dan Horák <dan@danny.cz <mailto:dan@danny.cz>>:


Joshua C. p*še v Pá 27. 06. 2008 v 11:28 +0200:
> Can someone backport some of the F9 packages to F8? Especially
some of
> the following:
> firefox 3
> openoffice.org <http://openoffice.org> 2.4.1 (3 beta)
> kdebase 4.0.83 beta
> mesa
> xorg-x11-drv-ati
> pulseaudio
> gdm
> gcc
> ............................
>
> and other "basic" packages. It would be nice to have up-to-date F8.

And what will be then the reason to update from F-8 to F-9?


Dan


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com <mailto:fedora-devel-list@redhat.com>
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list


I thought about creating an rpm for Firefox 3.0 for Fedora 8 because my
brother's computer doesn't like Fedora 9 and Firefox 3.0 better suits
his needs than Firefox 2.0. Whether or not v2 is better than v3 is up
to personal opinion, in my opinion, and I understand your ATI card issue
as well because I have the same issue. Anyway if I get around to
creating the rpm, and it works, I'll send you the rpm.


-- Brad

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 06-28-2008, 04:04 AM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default Backporting some F9 packages to F8

brad longo <Bl0ngo067 <at> aim.com> writes:
> I thought about creating an rpm for Firefox 3.0 for Fedora 8 because my
> brother's computer doesn't like Fedora 9 and Firefox 3.0 better suits
> his needs than Firefox 2.0. Whether or not v2 is better than v3 is up
> to personal opinion, in my opinion, and I understand your ATI card issue
> as well because I have the same issue. Anyway if I get around to
> creating the rpm, and it works, I'll send you the rpm.

You don't have to create your own RPM, Remi Collet already dit it:
http://blog.famillecollet.com/

Kevin Kofler



--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 06-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Adam Jackson
 
Default Backporting some F9 packages to F8

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 11:28 +0200, Joshua C. wrote:
> Can someone backport some of the F9 packages to F8? Especially some of
> the following:
> <snip>
> mesa
> xorg-x11-drv-ati

We typically do not do wholesale upgrades of drivers in older releases.
There's just too much churn happening to keep up with it. Mesa is
particularly problematic since it has complex build interdependencies
with the X server itself. I hope to be able to change this stance at
sonme point in the future, but F9 is really the first release where I
might feel comfortable starting to do that.

If you have specific problems that are fixed by updating to newer
packages, we can investigate either backporting the fixes or updating
the driver.

- ajax
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 06-30-2008, 10:21 PM
"Joshua C."
 
Default Backporting some F9 packages to F8

I have ati RS485 (Radeon Xpress 1100 IGP) and it has lots of issues with the fglrx. In partucular the fglrx has problems with the 2.6.25 kernel. I tried the f9 live-kde system and used the xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.8.192-rc2. See my post here http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11148

Now everything is ok but I still have f8 because of the kde. I'm waiting for the 4.1 release.
In the mean time I decided to recompile the xorg-server-1.4.99-902 for f8 but it has so many dependancies. So i gave up.

And there are other packages (in connection with xorg-server) that has to be recompiled for the f8.

So I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to do such backporting. if you really want to try it, here is the list of the packages that I tried with the f9-live:

mesa-libGL-7.1-0.37.fc9.i386
mesa-libGLU-7.1-0.37.fc9.i386
mesa-libOSMesa-7.1-0.37.fc9.i386
mesa-dri-drivers-7.1-0.37.fc9.i386

glx-utils-7.1-0.37.fc9.i386

xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.4.99.902-3.20080612.fc9.i386

xorg-x11-server-utils-7.3-3.fc9.i386
xorg-x11-utils-7.3-3.fc9.i386
xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.8.0-18.fc9.i386
xorg-x11-drv-vesa-1.3.0-15.20080404.fc9.i386
xorg-x11-server-common-1.4.99.902-3.20080612.fc9.i386

I don't know. It is so much work in order to make the latest ati driver work in the f8 and have dri and 3d.





2008/6/30 Adam Jackson <ajax@redhat.com>:

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 11:28 +0200, Joshua C. wrote:

> Can someone backport some of the F9 packages to F8? Especially some of

> the following:

> <snip>

> mesa

> xorg-x11-drv-ati



We typically do not do wholesale upgrades of drivers in older releases.

There's just too much churn happening to keep up with it. *Mesa is

particularly problematic since it has complex build interdependencies

with the X server itself. *I hope to be able to change this stance at

sonme point in the future, but F9 is really the first release where I

might feel comfortable starting to do that.



If you have specific problems that are fixed by updating to newer

packages, we can investigate either backporting the fixes or updating

the driver.



- ajax


--

fedora-devel-list mailing list

fedora-devel-list@redhat.com

https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:29 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org