Old 06-27-2008, 09:28 AM
"Joshua C."

Default Backporting some F9 packages to F8

Can someone backport some of the F9 packages to F8? Especially some of the following:
firefox 3
openoffice.org 2.4.1 (3 beta)
kdebase 4.0.83* beta
mesa
xorg-x11-drv-ati

pulseaudio
gdm
gcc

and other "basic" packages. It would be nice to have up-to-date F8.

-joshua

Old 06-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Neil Thompson

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:28:17AM +0200, Joshua C. wrote:
> Can someone backport some of the F9 packages to F8? Especially some of the
> following:
> firefox 3
> [1]openoffice.org 2.4.1 (3 beta)
> kdebase 4.0.83 beta
> mesa
> xorg-x11-drv-ati
> pulseaudio
> gdm
> gcc
>
> and other "basic" packages. It would be nice to have up-to-date F8.

The source is available - why don't you do it yourself, test the resulting
packages and submit any necessary package changes to the current developers?

--
Cheers! (Relax...have a homebrew)

Neil

...aliquando et insanire iucundum est.
-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Old 06-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Kevin Kofler

Joshua C. <joshuacov <at> googlemail.com> writes:
> kdebase 4.0.83 beta

That's not even in F9 yet (waiting for 4.1.0)!

Kevin Kofler

Old 06-27-2008, 10:09 AM
"Peter Lemenkov"

2008/6/27 Joshua C. <joshuacov@googlemail.com>:
> Can someone backport some of the F9 packages to F8? Especially some of the
> following:
> firefox 3

/me voting against Firefox 3.
It doesn't work yet as well as good old Firefox 2 .

--
With best regards!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Ralf Corsepius

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 11:28 +0200, Joshua C. wrote:
> Can someone backport some of the F9 packages to F8? Especially some of
> the following:
> firefox 3
> openoffice.org 2.4.1 (3 beta)
> kdebase 4.0.83 beta
> mesa
> xorg-x11-drv-ati
> pulseaudio
> gdm
> gcc
>
> and other "basic" packages. It would be nice to have up-to-date F8.

Why don't you upgrade to FC8, instead?

The packages you are proposing to upgrade are such kind of essential, an
"update/backport" of them would almost equal an upgrade.

Ralf

Old 06-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Dan Horák

Joshua C. p*še v Pá 27. 06. 2008 v 11:28 +0200:
> Can someone backport some of the F9 packages to F8? Especially some of
> the following:
> firefox 3
> openoffice.org 2.4.1 (3 beta)
> kdebase 4.0.83 beta
> mesa
> xorg-x11-drv-ati
> pulseaudio
> gdm
> gcc
>
> and other "basic" packages. It would be nice to have up-to-date F8.

And what will be then the reason to update from F-8 to F-9?

Dan

Old 06-27-2008, 11:24 AM
"Joshua C."

I have F8 and I like it. F9 is better but there are still some issue for me. My ati card isn't resonably supported by the free ati driver. the fglrx I don't like either and other minor problems (acer hk, kde359 is still better than 404 I think, etc). therefore I'm kind of "stuck" with f8.

I'm still waiting for the upgrade to F9.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:29 AM
"Joshua C."

I agree with you but, but maybe there are more pros than cons for version 3.