Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/)
-   -   Name status (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/114283-name-status.html)

"Paul W. Frields" 06-26-2008 09:39 PM

Name status
 
Legal rejected all the codenames for the Fedora 10 release, other than
"Red Hat Linux," that we sent in the top ten short list on which the
Board voted. So we're down to the next ten, and they may make it
difficult for Artwork to craft a theme around. I should have word back
on these names much more quickly than the last ones. The new candidate
names are:

 Diablo
Kingfisher
Ultraviolet
Spectre
Xenomorph
Nile
Cambridge
Titanium
Platinum
Terror
Topaz

(There are 11 on the list because one of them, Cambridge, is also the
name of a previous Red Hat Linux release and therefore we will probably
not use it, even though we know it will pass legal muster.)

I know that the Artwork team really wanted to unify the theme against
the name, which is one reason we are trying to have it settled much
earlier this cycle. (And we can try for even earlier next cycle, to be
fair.)

What I don't want is for anyone to lose sight of the fact that the work
the Artwork team has done for several releases now has been uniformly
great, regardless of the code name of the release. And it's all been
done in an open, transparent fashion, powered by community ideas and
purely FOSS tools.

Having said all that, what are the Artwork team members' feelings about
this?

--
Paul W. Frields
gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug
_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list

inode0 06-26-2008 09:52 PM

Name status
 
2008/6/26 Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com>:
> Legal rejected all the codenames for the Fedora 10 release, other than
> "Red Hat Linux," that we sent in the top ten short list on which the
> Board voted. So we're down to the next ten, and they may make it
> difficult for Artwork to craft a theme around. I should have word back
> on these names much more quickly than the last ones. The new candidate
> names are:
>
>  Diablo

Since these names were probably chosen prior to this happening just
thought I'd point out that Maemo just released Diablo
(http://maemo.org/maemo_release_documentation/maemo4.1.x/) which I
think would make that one an awkward choice.

John

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list

Nicu Buculei 06-27-2008 06:33 AM

Name status
 
Paul W. Frields wrote:

Legal rejected all the codenames for the Fedora 10 release, other than
"Red Hat Linux," that we sent in the top ten short list on which the
Board voted. So we're down to the next ten, and they may make it
difficult for Artwork to craft a theme around. I should have word back
on these names much more quickly than the last ones. The new candidate
names are:

 Diablo
Kingfisher
Ultraviolet
Spectre
Xenomorph
Nile
Cambridge
Titanium
Platinum
Terror
Topaz

[...]

Having said all that, what are the Artwork team members' feelings about
this?


I don't think those proposed names are bad at all (I even like the
selection better than we had for F9). Let's see what remains from them
after passing legal.



Diablo, the lord of terror and his hordes of spectres and other
xenomorphic minions was defeated by the Kingfisher hero, with his magic
sword: a titanium blade radiating ultraviolet light and a platinum and
topaz hilt, in the epic battle fought from the Nile river to the plains
of Cambridge.


--
nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com
Cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
Open Clip Art Library: http://www.openclipart.org
my Fedora stuff: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list

"Jeffrey Ollie" 06-27-2008 03:08 PM

Name status
 
2008/6/26 Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com>:
> Legal rejected all the codenames for the Fedora 10 release, other than
> "Red Hat Linux," that we sent in the top ten short list on which the
> Board voted.

Can we get a summary from Legal on why the names were rejected?

Jeff

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list

"Paul W. Frields" 06-27-2008 06:26 PM

Name status
 
On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 10:08 -0500, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> 2008/6/26 Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com>:
> > Legal rejected all the codenames for the Fedora 10 release, other than
> > "Red Hat Linux," that we sent in the top ten short list on which the
> > Board voted.
>
> Can we get a summary from Legal on why the names were rejected?

If they're rejected, it's usually because there's a name collision with
an existing product that's close enough to Fedora that it's too risky to
use. It's not because of general unease or fiat. :-)

I'm trying not to generate too much pushback to Legal right now because
they are helping us with a number of other issues right now. Does this
answer help at all?

--
Paul W. Frields
gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug
_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list

Mirn Duffy 06-27-2008 07:02 PM

Name status
 
Paul W. Frields wrote:

I know that the Artwork team really wanted to unify the theme against
the name, which is one reason we are trying to have it settled much
earlier this cycle. (And we can try for even earlier next cycle, to be
fair.)

What I don't want is for anyone to lose sight of the fact that the work
the Artwork team has done for several releases now has been uniformly
great, regardless of the code name of the release. And it's all been
done in an open, transparent fashion, powered by community ideas and
purely FOSS tools.

Having said all that, what are the Artwork team members' feelings about
this?


I'm disappointed just because I think we were all eager to get to work
and we had some names (steampunk, neon, etc) that I think we generally
liked and started mocking up. That neither of them made it through the
process is disappointing since I at least had some investment in them.


However, I don't think this is anything that couldn't be remedied by
having the name available earlier.



~m

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list

"Paul W. Frields" 06-28-2008 05:32 PM

Name status
 
On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 15:02 -0400, Mirn Duffy wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > I know that the Artwork team really wanted to unify the theme against
> > the name, which is one reason we are trying to have it settled much
> > earlier this cycle. (And we can try for even earlier next cycle, to be
> > fair.)
> >
> > What I don't want is for anyone to lose sight of the fact that the work
> > the Artwork team has done for several releases now has been uniformly
> > great, regardless of the code name of the release. And it's all been
> > done in an open, transparent fashion, powered by community ideas and
> > purely FOSS tools.
> >
> > Having said all that, what are the Artwork team members' feelings about
> > this?
>
> I'm disappointed just because I think we were all eager to get to work
> and we had some names (steampunk, neon, etc) that I think we generally
> liked and started mocking up. That neither of them made it through the
> process is disappointing since I at least had some investment in them.
>
> However, I don't think this is anything that couldn't be remedied by
> having the name available earlier.

Agreed on all points. Josh Boyer did a good job compiling all the
candidate names, but once we piled in the time to get all the Board
votes in, suddenly we were lagging by another couple of weeks, partially
because of the overlap with FUDCon. We can definitely tighten that time
up next cycle to give us a better shot at unifying the theme with the
name.

Some of the designs I've seen thus far are, or have the potential to be,
truly stunning, so I hope people will not abandon them just because they
don't fit the release name!

--
Paul W. Frields
gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug
_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:22 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.