Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Adrian Joian

Default Fedora 9 kernel configuration

Hello,

My name is Adrian Joian and I'm a fedora ambassador [1] for the
Romanian community. This is my first time that I'm addressing the devel
list so please be patient with me.
I plan to write an article that will speak about Fedora 9 on laptops
on our local site [2]. My question is why the 2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686
kernel is not compiled whit the following options, as they have big
impact on laptop "cpu sleep" : CONFIG_HPET_TIMER CONFIG_NO_HZ
CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND
Are this values replaced by new ones, if yes what are the new options,
and forgive my lack of knowledge?
Do the above values cause some problems, if yes where can I find the bug
reports, again and forgive my lack of knowledge ?

Thank you very much for your time.
[1] - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AdrianJoian
[2] - http://www.fedoraproject.ro/ Best regards, Adrian JOIAN

Old 06-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Chuck Anderson

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:45:22AM +0300, Adrian Joian wrote:
> I plan to write an article that will speak about Fedora 9 on laptops on
> our local site [2]. My question is why the 2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686 kernel is
> not compiled whit the following options, as they have big impact on laptop
> "cpu sleep" : CONFIG_HPET_TIMER CONFIG_NO_HZ CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND

I think you are mistaken:

grep -E 'CONFIG_HPET_TIMER|CONFIG_NO_HZ|CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND ' /boot/config-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686
CONFIG_NO_HZ=y
CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y

Old 06-25-2008, 02:04 PM

But powertop is reporting that they are not available.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Adrian Joian

Moreover in the kernel config files i see no file that is containg all of
the 3 settings.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:57 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

2008/6/25 Adrian Joian <adrian.joian@fedoraproject.ro>:
> Moreover in the kernel config files i see no file that is containg all of
> the 3 settings.

Specifically.. which files are you looking at for the settings. Chuck
referenced the
/boot/config-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686 file which is the exact
configuration file used at build time for the 6.25.6-55.fc9.i686
kernel. It is provided as part of the kernel package. If you are
not looking in /boot for a config file that is part of the kernel
package you are interested in, then you are most likely looking in the
wrong place.

-jef

Old 06-26-2008, 07:26 AM

Hello,

You are right in the /boot config file everything is ok.

But if you install the kernel source and look in the config-debug,
config-x86 and so on files non of them contain the 3 values all toghether.

Best regards,
Adrian Joian

Old 06-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Eric Sandeen

adrian.joian@fedoraproject.ro wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You are right in the /boot config file everything is ok.
>
> But if you install the kernel source and look in the config-debug,
> config-x86 and so on files non of them contain the 3 values all toghether.

The RPM build assembles/combines those files in interesting ways, IIRC,
to create the final config.

-Erric

Old 06-27-2008, 05:07 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:26 PM, <adrian.joian@fedoraproject.ro> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You are right in the /boot config file everything is ok.
>
> But if you install the kernel source and look in the config-debug,
> config-x86 and so on files non of them contain the 3 values all toghether.

You are simply interpreting what you are seeing in the kernel source
package incorrectly. To understand how those files are used to
compile the final config files, you would need to parse all of the
build logic in the spec file that comes in the kernel srpm. While
instructive, its not what you want. The final config file used to
build each binary kernel is shipped in the binary kernel package and
placed in /boot/ on kernel install. That is the only file you need to
typically review when looking for specific kernel config settings.

-jef