Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 PM
John Poelstra

Default 32bit PowerPC questions.

Dave Jones said the following on 06/24/2008 01:15 PM Pacific Time:

So, if you use 32bit PowerPC, drop me a mail describing what kind of platform
it is. ("powermac G4" for eg). Also useful would be lspci output, and
the answer to "does it have ISA slots?".

Thanks,

Dave
[*] It'd be a neat hack if we could extract this from openfirmware though..

# lspci
0000:00:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth AGP
0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128
PF/PRO AGP 4x TMDS

0001:10:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth PCI
0001:10:0d.0 PCI bridge: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21154
(rev 05)

0001:11:07.0 Class ff00: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo Mac I/O (rev 02)
0001:11:08.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo USB
0001:11:09.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo USB
0001:11:0a.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB12LV23 IEEE-1394
Controller

0002:21:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth Internal PCI
0002:21:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth GMAC (Sun
GEM) (rev 01)

It's a "screamer" too ;-)

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
cpu : 7400, altivec supported
temperature : 20 C (uncalibrated)
clock : 400.000000MHz
revision : 2.9 (pvr 000c 0209)
bogomips : 49.66
timebase : 24908583
platform : PowerMac
machine : PowerMac3,1
motherboard : PowerMac3,1 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as : 65 (PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics)
pmac flags : 00000004
L2 cache : 1024K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld

Old 06-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Dan Williams

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 16:15 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> PPC32 kernel builds take _forever_ in the build system. They're slowing things
> down to such extent that I'm usually still waiting for them several hours
> after the other architectures have finished building.
>
> One way to make them slightly faster is to not build as many modules.
> Looking through the config files, there's some obvious silly stuff in there
> (I really really hope no-one found a way to put an IWL4965 in a PPC32 box).

Only the G5 (ie, 64-bit) was released with PCI-E slots. Unless somebody
is using PCI-E on a PPC32 board that's not a Mac, or is installing
32-bit Fedora on a 64-bit G5 box, there's absolutely no way that PPC32
could coexist with the 3945 or 4965. You'd also have to get a
PCI-E-to-ExpressCard or PCI-E-to-MiniCard carrier.

No PowerBooks ever had internal PCI-E minicard slots. No PowerBooks
ever had ExpressCard slots.

Dan

Old 06-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Jesse Keating

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 17:35 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> or is installing
> 32-bit Fedora on a 64-bit G5 box

As far as I know, that's not possible.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:57 PM
"Peter Robinson"

> So, if you use 32bit PowerPC, drop me a mail describing what kind of platform
> it is. ("powermac G4" for eg). Also useful would be lspci output, and
> the answer to "does it have ISA slots?".

I didn't think any Apple PPC machines ever had ISA as actual slots.
Whether other PPC machines from IBM or others did I'm not sure, or
whether PPC has the embedded ISA stuff like some of the newer Intel
stuff for things like the i2c bus.

Can we just disable a lot and get it reported on the list or bugs.
What options do the yellow dog guys enable in their 32 bit kernels?

Peter

Old 06-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Alan Cox

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 04:15:51PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> it is. ("powermac G4" for eg). Also useful would be lspci output, and
> the answer to "does it have ISA slots?".

Careful: our 'ISA' in the kernel also coverse the various LPC busses that
replaced it. You can get burned if you just check for slots rather than
onboard 'ISA' devices.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:10 AM
Josh Boyer

> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 17:35 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > or is installing
> > 32-bit Fedora on a 64-bit G5 box
>
> As far as I know, that's not possible.

Not anymore anyway.

josh

Old 06-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Josh Boyer

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 17:35 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> Only the G5 (ie, 64-bit) was released with PCI-E slots. Unless somebody
> is using PCI-E on a PPC32 board that's not a Mac, or is installing

I have some dubious plans for that. But they are irrelevant here, as it
would require a different flavor of kernel that we build today anyway.

josh

Old 06-25-2008, 01:14 AM
Josh Boyer

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 16:15 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> PPC32 kernel builds take _forever_ in the build system. They're slowing things
> down to such extent that I'm usually still waiting for them several hours
> after the other architectures have finished building.

Has anyone looked at _why_ they are so slow? Do you have timing
information for a particular kernel flavor?

If I'm remembering correctly, local kernel builds on my G5 were quite
faster than what is in koji. Finding out why might be a good start.

josh

Old 06-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Dan Williams

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 22:57 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > So, if you use 32bit PowerPC, drop me a mail describing what kind of platform
> > it is. ("powermac G4" for eg). Also useful would be lspci output, and
> > the answer to "does it have ISA slots?".
>
> I didn't think any Apple PPC machines ever had ISA as actual slots.
> Whether other PPC machines from IBM or others did I'm not sure, or
> whether PPC has the embedded ISA stuff like some of the newer Intel
> stuff for things like the i2c bus.

Yes, some pSeries had ISA busses long, long ago. But even more recent
(post 2000 even?) pSeries machines like some of the 43p series have an
internal ISA bus that drives stuff like the floppy and sound
controllers.

Dan

Old 06-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Josh Boyer

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 07:58 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 22:57 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > > So, if you use 32bit PowerPC, drop me a mail describing what kind of platform
> > > it is. ("powermac G4" for eg). Also useful would be lspci output, and
> > > the answer to "does it have ISA slots?".
> >
> > I didn't think any Apple PPC machines ever had ISA as actual slots.
> > Whether other PPC machines from IBM or others did I'm not sure, or
> > whether PPC has the embedded ISA stuff like some of the newer Intel
> > stuff for things like the i2c bus.
>
> Yes, some pSeries had ISA busses long, long ago. But even more recent
> (post 2000 even?) pSeries machines like some of the 43p series have an
> internal ISA bus that drives stuff like the floppy and sound
> controllers.

We last had working support for 43p-150 machines in FC6. Something in
the kernel has broken it since, and despite good attempts to fix it we
still don't have a working kernel there.

josh