Old 06-24-2008, 04:33 AM
"Jerry Williams"

Default Help building rpm, works with f8 fails in f9

I could use some help trying to figure out why a package
builds just fine on Fedora 8 but fails on Fedora 9

*

Fedora 8 build output looks like:

make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/crrcsim-0.9.9'

+ desktop-file-install --vendor=
--dir=/usr/share/applications --add-category X-Red-Hat-Extra
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/CRRCsim.desktop

+ /usr/lib/rpm/find-debuginfo.sh /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/crrcsim-0.9.9

extracting debug info from ./crrcsim

2702 blocks

*

Fedora 9 looks like:

make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/crrcsim-0.9.9'

+ desktop-file-install --vendor=
--dir=/usr/share/applications --add-category X-

Red-Hat-Extra /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/CRRCsim.desktop

+ /usr/lib/rpm/find-debuginfo.sh
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/crrcsim-0.9.9

find: invalid predicate `'

error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.13280
(%install)

*

SPEC file looks like:

# cat crrcsim.spec

Name: crrcsim

Version: 0.9.9

Release: 1.fc8

License: GPL

Group: Amusements/Games

Source0: %{name}-%{version}.tar.gz

Source1: CRRCsim.desktop

*

Requires: plib

Requires: portaudio

Requires: SDL

*

BuildPrereq: SDL-devel

BuildPrereq: portaudio-devel

BuildPrereq: freeglut-devel

BuildPrereq: plib-devel

BuildPrereq: libXi-devel

BuildPrereq: libXt-devel

BuildPrereq: libXmu-devel

BuildRequires: desktop-file-utils

*

%description

Crrcsim is a model-airplane flight simulation program. Using
it, you can learn

how to fly model aircraft, test new aircraft designs, and
improve your

skills by practicing on your computer.

*

It rules! The flight model is very realistic. The flight
model parameters are

calculated based on a 3D representation of the aircraft.
Stalls are properly

modelled as well. Model control is possible with your own rc
transmitter, or

any input device such as joystick, mouse, keyboard ...

*

%prep

%setup -q

*

%build

./configure

make

*

%install

rm -rf %{buildroot}

*

#make DESTDIR=%{buildroot} install

make* install

desktop-file-install
--vendor=""***********************

*******
--dir=${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}%{_datadir}/applications

******* --add-category
X-Red-Hat-Extra*****************

*******
${RPM_SOURCE_DIR}/CRRCsim.desktop

*

%clean

rm -rf %{buildroot}

*

%files

%defattr(-,root,root)

/usr/local/share/games/crrcsim

/usr/local/bin/crrcsim

/usr/share/applications/CRRCsim.desktop

*

I am not sure if this is the best place to post this
message, if there is a better list, please let me know.

Thanks is advance for any help!

Jerry Williams

Old 06-24-2008, 01:13 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 22:33 -0600, Jerry Williams wrote:
> I could use some help trying to figure out why a package builds just
> fine on Fedora 8 but fails on Fedora 9

Jerry,

The only way that package would build is if you were building it as
root. Honestly, there are a lot of things in that spec that aren't quite
right, so I'm not sure what specifically is causing the failure.

I recently gave a presentation at the Red Hat Summit on making good RPM
packages, and I think it may be helpful to you. You can find the
presentation (and a handout with fully documented example spec files)
here:
http://spot.fedorapeople.org/Summit2008/

In addition, I've reworked your spec file (and desktop file) into
something that works (and would probably pass review for inclusion into
Fedora). I would highly recommend that you compare it to your original
spec file. If you have any questions about the new spec file, please
feel free to drop me an email (or reply here).

New SRPM:
http://spot.fedorapeople.org/crrcsim/crrcsim-0.9.9-2.fc10.src.rpm
New SPEC: http://spot.fedorapeople.org/crrcsim/crrcsim.spec
New Desktop File: http://spot.fedorapeople.org/crrcsim/CRRCsim.desktop

Note: This game/simulator doesn't actually run on my rawhide system, it
does a wonderful job of corrupting the X session with rainbow color
noise and locking up my laptop, but I don't think that is a fault of the
packaging, probably a Mesa/Intel/Xorg/Rawhide bug.

~spot

Old 06-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Ed Hill

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:13:48 -0400 "Tom "spot" Callaway" wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 22:33 -0600, Jerry Williams wrote:
> > I could use some help trying to figure out why a package builds just
> > fine on Fedora 8 but fails on Fedora 9
>

> I recently gave a presentation at the Red Hat Summit on making good
> RPM packages, and I think it may be helpful to you. You can find the
> presentation (and a handout with fully documented example spec files)
> here:
> http://spot.fedorapeople.org/Summit2008/

Hi Tom,

Thank you for posting the above presentation on-line!

Just out of curiosity, is there any particular license associated with
it? May I have your permission to re-use part or all of it? If so,
I'll be careful to *prominently* cite you as the original author,
provide your URL, etc.

People have asked me to give quick "intro to RPM and Fedora/RHEL" talks
and your slides are *much* nicer (more thorough, entertaining, etc.)
than anything I've thrown together.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD | ed@eh3.com | http://eh3.com/

Old 06-24-2008, 04:21 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 10:36 -0400, Ed Hill wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:13:48 -0400 "Tom "spot" Callaway" wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 22:33 -0600, Jerry Williams wrote:
> > > I could use some help trying to figure out why a package builds just
> > > fine on Fedora 8 but fails on Fedora 9
> >

> > I recently gave a presentation at the Red Hat Summit on making good
> > RPM packages, and I think it may be helpful to you. You can find the
> > presentation (and a handout with fully documented example spec files)
> > here:
> > http://spot.fedorapeople.org/Summit2008/
>

> Hi Tom,
>
> Thank you for posting the above presentation on-line!
>
> Just out of curiosity, is there any particular license associated with
> it? May I have your permission to re-use part or all of it? If so,
> I'll be careful to *prominently* cite you as the original author,
> provide your URL, etc.

You'd think I'd have thought of this already.

You (and anyone) are welcome to use the presentation under the terms of
the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license:

~spot

Old 06-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Nicolas Mailhot

Le mardi 24 juin 2008 à 12:21 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway a écrit :
> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 10:36 -0400, Ed Hill wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:13:48 -0400 "Tom "spot" Callaway" wrote:

> > > http://spot.fedorapeople.org/Summit2008/

> > Just out of curiosity, is there any particular license associated with
> > it? May I have your permission to re-use part or all of it?

> You'd think I'd have thought of this already.

1. It'd be mighty nice if this presentation was linked from
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CreatingPackageHowTo

2. It'd be ever nicer if FUDCON & other RH Summit, etc presentations
were collected and published on a central place. Big conventions like
eclipsecon do it and it's invaluable for people who could not make it to
the event.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 06-25-2008, 10:08 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 17:56 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> 1. It'd be mighty nice if this presentation was linked from
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CreatingPackageHowTo

Feel free to add it if you think it would be useful.

> 2. It'd be ever nicer if FUDCON & other RH Summit, etc presentations
> were collected and published on a central place. Big conventions like
> eclipsecon do it and it's invaluable for people who could not make it
> to the event.

Agreed. I was rather unhappy with how IDG handled the presentations for
the RH Summit.

~spot